Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this by saying I've always wanted a .45.

I have the opportunity to trade my SW9VE (100 rounds thru it) and 4 16 round mags for a brand new PT145 Mil Pro with 2 10 round mags. They guy wants $50 in difference and I may be able to talk him down a bit more.

Any thoughts or anybody with PT145 experience?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
The PT145 is a great gun. I'm nearing 2000 rounds through mine now and it hasn't hiccupped once.

I don't know anything abou the SW9VE so it's hard to give a real qualified answer. But I believe the PT145 is one of the smallest 10 round double stack .45's around and shoots great. I'd say if you've held it and it feels good do the upgrade!!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I carry a PT 145 because shooting twice is just silly.:D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have never held a SW9VE but my PT145 is my every day carry. I would not trade it at all. Might I carry something else in the future? Sure but I have over 500 flawless rounds through it and know it is reliable and accurate and easily concealed with 10+1. Even if I get something else for EDC, I will keep this as the best back up ever. You didn't say whether or not you like the SW or not, if not it is definitely worth the change. I feel like the PT145 is a very comfortable shot once you get the firm grip and wrists down.

Also, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I'd call it about even. A $325 gun (+2 on mags total) vs a $370 gun. Trading a full frame for a compact (4" barrel vs 3.25"). Both have long trigger pull but if memory serves me the Taurus IS lighter. Many have joked that the VE tag on the S&W stands for 'value engineered' - I shot one side by side with the Ruger P95 back when they were both $300 guns - the S&W may have been updated since then but the Ruger was the clear winner - all that shot both (including the S&W owner) agreed.

10 +1 rounds of 45 is a decent round count - it's not a pocket gun but conceals fairly easy.

If it's just that you want a 45 I might think twice - the gun is a category shift BUT if you like the 145 and it fits your needs I'd see if I could get the guy to and even trade and go for it!

I'm looking to add a 45ACP myself this year - a classic round BUT I'm keeping my 40 too!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
NWAHawg = noob!! Missed that. Welcome from StL MO!!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Oops - it's a 9VE - missed that, thought it was a 40. So get the guy as close as you can - $50 is still to far apart for what you are offering OR offer the gun with 2 mags and pay the $50 - sell the 2 mags yourself.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
I'd go for it. Have the SW9VE (obsolete) which has been replaced with SD9VE with much better trigger. Don't have the PT145, but do have the PT140MilPro, similar weapon in .40 and much better trigger. You lose 7 rds. total but still better deal IMO.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback and the welcome. The PT feels very good in my hand, weights are very comparable and it's certainly a tad bit more concealable. I think I'll offer to throw in a box of federal 147 g HP and make it an even swap.

the only 45 I've fired was a full size 911, how's the recoil on the 145?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Let me preface this by saying I've always wanted a .45.

I have the opportunity to trade my SW9VE (100 rounds thru it) and 4 16 round mags for a brand new PT145 Mil Pro with 2 10 round mags. They guy wants $50 in difference and I may be able to talk him down a bit more.

Any thoughts or anybody with PT145 experience?
Welcome to TA.net!

I'm admittedly a .45 snob ;) so my answer comes from that biased viewpoint.

You can't go wrong with a PT145. I have two of them. It's my primary carry weapon and even with the 12 round magazine it conceals very nicely.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Administrator
41,058 Posts
the only 45 I've fired was a full size 911, how's the recoil on the 145?
The PT145's recoil is surprisingly light in a pistol of this size. Compares with larger, heavier .45 autos. You'll also find it accurate. Good choice, if you get it! I love mine, and it's been a companion since 2007! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
The PT145's recoil is surprisingly light in a pistol of this size. Compares with larger, heavier .45 autos. You'll also find it accurate. Good choice, if you get it! I love mine, and it's been a companion since 2007! :thumb:
I agree.

·
Registered
140 Posts
X3. Its is a well built little hand cannon. From a recoil standpoint, you just have to be careful of limp wristing because the gun is so small/light. But overall, the recoil is very manageable.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I'll compare my SW9VE with my pt111, which is very much like the pt145.

The VE is a a sweet handful, very comfortable and easy to shoot. I don't much like the trigger but it works well enough.
The pt111 is something to hang onto. It has become familiar enough to become my carry.
Others rave about the pt145, which is the same package.
I think the trade is worth doing. I wouldn't fuss much about the $50 difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the input.

I tried talking him down but he wouldn't budge. (He started at $100 difference). I forked over the $50 and am now the proud owner of a brand new PT-145.

Hopefully I can get a little range time in this weekend.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Congrats!

I think you'll be very happy. Make sure to share your first range trip with us.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I'd go for it. Have the SW9VE (obsolete) which has been replaced with SD9VE with much better trigger. Don't have the PT145, but do have the PT140MilPro, similar weapon in .40 and much better trigger. You lose 7 rds. total but still better deal IMO.
I believe you may have mispoken about the sw9ve as being obsolete. It may have been replaced with a newer model but it is not obsolete.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
I believe you may have mispoken about the sw9ve as being obsolete. It may have been replaced with a newer model but it is not obsolete.
How about -"out of production and no longer manufactured" in lieu of "obsolete"?? No pistol will ever be "obsolete" per se.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts