Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been seeing these surplus Star BM 9mm pistols at several etailers priced in the low $200's. I finally gave in and purchased an example from Buds last week. With shipping, insurance,lifetime warranty, and two magazines my total OTD was $254. This Star commander size near 1911 replica arrived with a fair to good exterior finish. It also has been shot, so I didn't luck into one of the holster holders. There is some wear from holstering and a few dings, and significant wear on the front and back strap of the grip. The plastic checkered grip panels are in good shape with little wear.
P1030120.jpg
It came in the original Star box, with a Spanish users manual, and the two magazines.
P1030131.jpg
The Star breaks down very similar to a 1911. All components were dirty but in good shape. The barrel rifling was still good, magazines have good spring strength and pop in and out with ease. There was no rust anywhere in the pistol. So I gave it a good cleaning and soaked everything in CLP for a few hours.
P1030133.jpg
My Star BM weighs 31.3 oz's unloaded, 36.9 oz's with a full mag of 115grn ammo. It is 7 1/8" long, 5" tall, 1 3/16" wide. The SA trigger pull is consistent at 5.4 lbs, and the LOP is 2 5/8". The slide operates like butter, I did go ahead and polish the frame and barrel feed ramps, removed the extractor and firing pin(not for the faint of heart) cleaning both channels and lubed the extractor spring and arm. The slide stop/release works perfectly and the frame mounted safety is very positive and easy to manipulate. Magazines drop free and seat with a mild slap. The sights are a black notch in the back and a black ramp in the front, I did put a dab of white paint on the front sight ramp. The sights are not adjustable. I saw some reviewers complaining about hammer bite, I have big fleshy hands, and did feel a bit of bite by round 80, but no marks on my skin. So I see no reason to bob the hammer.
P1030126bbb.jpg
This pistol shoots like a dream, and if you maintain a good hold it will shoot as good as any 1911. The lack of any texture on the grip frame front and back strap does make it a bit of a struggle to maintain a solid grip when sweating, which I was doing plenty of that afternoon. I will probably install some grip tape on both in the future. The target above was at 15 yards and once I found that old POI, I started blowing a hole in the center. I put 96 rounds of 115grn brass through it and had one fail to extract on the last round of mag #2 early on, but after that it ran perfect. The ergo's are excellent, and it feels perfect in my hands. This Spanish Browning clone is a winner, the finish while worn a bit, adds to the appeal of its surplus battle worn look. The Star is a bit heavy to carry concealed, but if you can handle a Commander size 1911, this would be a good choice. I also ran 16 rounds of HST 124grn +P at the end of the range run, it fed all ok, and had very good accuracy. This will sit next to my other surplus pistols (a beautiful Beretta 92FS, and a beautiful Makarov 9X18 in my safe for now. The grandkids will have lots of fun shooting these surplus pistols this summer. Next up is a review of my amazingly cheap S&W MP 45 service surplus coming from Sportsman's Guide. $232 plus a $15 4473 fee for an M&P??? crazy cheap.

·
Administrator
35,560 Posts
Great buy, and great review Silverstring. I always love seeing your new toys because you're very thorough in what you show us. :thumb:

And, the gun has two mags. If you can find a generic holster, you can carry that bad boy.

·
22,958 Posts
Great review, and you scored a great pistol!

Attachments

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
947 Posts
Looks like a nice low mileage purchase. Star made some really nice pistols and most have decent prices. Only ones I'd shy away from would be anything made with 1970's aluminium alloy frames. Those can get sloppy after a lot of use.

Where else can you get a quality all steel pistol for a couple hundred bucks? Get 'em while they're hot.

·
Super Moderator
27,071 Posts
Enjoyed reading that. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
You tempt me. I too have been looking at them as well. One is in an auction I'm going to this week.

These are good "Old school" pistols. Whatever you do, avoid the 30m and 28m. They'll feed and start a Star addiction. They also make you look into CZ and their clones.

Maloy

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Great buy, and great review Silverstring. I always love seeing your new toys because you're very thorough in what you show us. :thumb:

And, the gun has two mags. If you can find a generic holster, you can carry that bad boy.
OR get a a Tandy or other leather/Kydex kit and build your own! Plenty of options out there.

Thanks for the review!!

* did you measure the trigger pull??? :cool:

·
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OR get a a Tandy or other leather/Kydex kit and build your own! Plenty of options out there.

Thanks for the review!!

* did you measure the trigger pull??? :cool:
SA trigger pull was 5.2 to 5.5 lbs, I averaged out at 5.4 lbs.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Administrator
18,180 Posts
Very very Nice!!! :cool: Congratulations and my it serve you well! :smile:

I like that you went through the Pistol, cleaning and polishing it up. A close friend of mine has one and used to carry it, before transitioning to a S&W M&P Shield 9mm.

·
Administrator
18,180 Posts
Here's a Video you might enjoy.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Had a Firestar M43 9mm. Very similar, and just a hair smaller and lighter. Also all steel.

Fine shooting little pistola. At nearly two pounds they soak up 9mm recoil nicely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts