Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been meaning to buy a couple of more surplus ammo boxes as I just got a good fresh supply of rubber bands and needed a way to store them. The stack of 50 cal boxes at my favorite gun shop were pretty well depleted from what he had a week ago, and I had to look through 30 boxes to find one that passed my inspection. On the 30 cal boxes, it was easy to find a good one as they aren't in as much demand and weren't as heavily gone through.

My gun dealer said he thought that was the last he would have as the military is now crushing them.

Anyhow, just a heads up if you are looking for surplus ammo boxes, get em while you can!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!! I just picked up a couple of .223 boxes off craigslist for $8 and now looking for a few 50 cal boxes but they seem to be scarce in this area too.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I could be wrong,, I generally am, but the order to crush cans and brass was rescinded by congress after a big stink was raised.

·
Registered
31,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Brass stink was rescinded a long time ago....haven't heard anything on the cans!

·
Administrator
39,366 Posts
I've got some shopping to do at that very place. I'll look into the ammo cans in the next few days! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
We picked up some cans just before Christmas. .30/5.56 cans were $9.95, and .50 cal. cans were $12.95. Not the best prices, but they were almost new.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
The price of scrap metal keep going up. They're probably worth more as scrap, to sell to China, than they are as an ammo box.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
There are stll plenty of them out there.

Locally over the last year I've seen .50 cans go from $3, to $5, to $10 or more.

·
Registered
31,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The .30 cal are $8.50 and the .50 cal $11. A year ago, the .30's were $6.50 and the .50 cal were $9.50

He used to have some Rocket or Mortar boxes that sealed quite well, about 24" tall x 18" wide and 48" or so long that had seals and three large wingnut type of securing devices that went for $65 each. I don't think he was ever able to get more than six of those, and it has been at least a year since he had those. At one time, he also had some 40-50 gallon drums with a sealed lid that you could pull a vacuum on. All of that stuff seems to have been removed from the market. As long as 8" diameter PVC and end caps are available (those end caps were expensive last time I checked) I guess everything should still be good to go.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Just bury a 10 foot section of 10" PVC pipe near the septic tank and put two 5 foot sections of 8" PVC inside with cables to lift them out with problem solved! LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts