Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am thinking about suppressing my 38 Super PT1911. I already have an SWR Octane 45HD suppressor.

Here are my questions:

1. Does anyone make a threaded drop-in barrel for the 38 super PT1911?

2. Do i need to change out the recoil assembly if I suppress my PT1911?

·
Registered
24,898 Posts
I like to hear my 38 super go BANG!

·
Registered
15,232 Posts
You wont get very much sound reduction in suppressing a supersonic round. For the 38 super, you hear the boom of firing then followed immediately with a crack as it breaks the speed barrier. If the 38 super is firing a subsonic round to permit the suppression, you are now working with a long cartridged 9mm Luger round. In essence you can suppress the 38 super, but the question now becomes Why? I do believe that the recoil spring should be fine but I don't know of any drop in threaded barrels in 38 super for the 1911. I think it's because of the reason I stated above.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
Hi all,
I am thinking about suppressing my 38 Super PT1911. I already have an SWR Octane 45HD suppressor.
Here are my questions:
1. Does anyone make a threaded drop-in barrel for the 38 super PT1911?
2. Do i need to change out the recoil assembly if I suppress my PT1911?
I have no idea?
The 38 Super barrel is a typical non ramped barrel?
I can't remember anyone ever using a supressor on a 38 Super?
I don't know but would think some tinkering with the recoil system would be needed, as you are going to need to get the FPS below the speed of sound, I don't know of any factory loading thats going to do that?
maybe a tame reloaded 147-150 grainer would do that?
Generally the 38 super round is more like a barn burner than a turtle.

NOTE: I see Peace and i are thinking along the same path here.
We posted at the same time or I would not have posted mine!

Reactions: Peacemakr40

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
Suppressing a large caliber gun is pretty much a Hollywood wet dream. First, it's difficult at best to silence anything much bigger than a 22. Second, the size of the silencer that could effectively silence a large caliber would probably be twice the length of the gun itself.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Texastaurusguy hit it right on the money once get over 380 takes a lot to suppress for 38 super would take 10 to 12 inch supressor more dont know about buying the barrel but would have to have your barrel milled and adapter 200 to 400 dollars. most of our large supressor work has been with rifles. doesnot make sense to do a 38 super due to cost you can get 380 bersa or walther ppk with supressors arround 700
jhp

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
You can suprees any caliber, doesn't mean silence just drop decibel level. probably in the range of 20-30 decibels. now to suppress a .38 super i think storm lake makes a threaded barrel but it is a bull barrel. other option would be to buy a 6" gunsmith fit barrel have it cut down and threaded. even the storm lake barrel would have to be fitted and i believe it is a rampmed barrel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts