Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got Sunday's IDPA match uploaded to YouTube. It was another fun match. I have decided I need to get just a little more serious about some practice so I can finally move to the next level classification. We'll see if I have enough discipline to get that done! :confused: Anyway here is the match from Sunday.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Once again thank you for sharing the video. That range looks like great fun and well protected area.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
That looked like a great match, and thanks for sharing!

Maybe the camera made it look that way, but it sure looked like you tip a lot on your draw -- was your concealment a shirt that you had to lift over the gun?

IRT 'brain fades' -- oh yah, been there done that. That 'what did I just do' feeling when you show clear, drop the hammer and holster, then realize you should have run dry on that last mag. (I've 'heard' make-up shots can cause that! :D).

Good shootin'.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looked like a great match, and thanks for sharing!

Maybe the camera made it look that way, but it sure looked like you tip a lot on your draw -- was your concealment a shirt that you had to lift over the gun?

IRT 'brain fades' -- oh yah, been there done that. That 'what did I just do' feeling when you show clear, drop the hammer and holster, then realize you should have run dry on that last mag. (I've 'heard' make-up shots can cause that! :D).

Good shootin'.
Thanks. I was wearing a long sleeve Henley that was rather long so it did take a pretty good tug to lift high enough. But yes I do tend to dip to the left on the draw. I have made up my mind that I'm going to get away from the typical "vest" worn by so many in IDPA. It's not a real thing for me. I never wear one of those vests other than during a match. My normal wear is simply an untucked t-shirt so the plan is to shoot that way all time. I will add that on the last stage I think I had the camera on a little crooked and made the "dip" even more exaggerated!

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Thanks. I was wearing a long sleeve Henley that was rather long so it did take a pretty good tug to lift high enough. But yes I do tend to dip to the left on the draw. I have made up my mind that I'm going to get away from the typical "vest" worn by so many in IDPA. It's not a real thing for me. I never wear one of those vests other than during a match. My normal wear is simply an untucked t-shirt so the plan is to shoot that way all time. I will add that on the last stage I think I had the camera on a little crooked and made the "dip" even more exaggerated!
Sounds like my approach to IDPA -- it's more to get used to what I'm going to deal with re guns/holsters/ammo/clothes, and competing against myself, than about my match standing.

Reactions: william and darbo

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once again thank you for sharing the video. That range looks like great fun and well protected area.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. It has been a lot of fun learning how to use the editing software.

The range is a great facility. The berms have been made very high. There is actually civilization not too far beyond the back berm! When the club bought that property, many years ago, there was nothing out there. Of course the urban area has grown over the years.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I was looking up IDPA and IPSC leagues. IPSC was once a lot of fun until some people ruined it for me. I blew out a knee during a shoot on an assault course. I got a lot of crap for it, and my weight saying how disgusting it was. I said I did matches for fun, their range people got mad at me about not taking it serious. I think a lot of it was some 5' 8" 360+lbs guy made it to "B" class, and when given a shotgun I'd win too often. I quit because of them and I ended up peaking at 426 because one of my outlets that was helping me lose weight was gone.. I'm now south of 279 and wanted to get back into it. So I'll have to continue with the informal group I shoot with now. They are more the IDPA type anyway. April is a long way away for our next get together.

It seems the IPSC and IDPA clubs in my neck of the woods are all gone. What is left is too far away. I was looking to get back into something practical, but that looks to be out. Last I did it was probably nearly 25 years ago. IPSC and it's rules were always a pain. IDPA once wasn't much more than a pamphlet and it looks like they created a lot more classes and rules than it once was.

I still have a lot of my original gear for IPSC. My Wilson and Ernie Hill stuff is probably way out of date anyway. I know my race guns are near and over over 30 years old. They were top of the line in 1987-1992 from Les Baer.

I'm probably going to have to look at SASS again. I still have all my gear for it as well, not as practical, but at least, never goes out of date. :D I'll have to have my gun belt shortened or it will fall off. It fit when I was over 400.

Funny thing is today, I'm probably in worse shape than then. Weight is still going down, I can move a little faster, but I probably have somewhere between 7 to 9 metal implants alone. I can set off metal detectors naked and cause hysterical blindness at 400 yards at the same time. Not to mention that I can tell sitting in the house when the temps are below freezing.

Supposedly there are some informal indoor IDPA leagues within an one hour drive of me I'll have to check out.

Maloy

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
I was looking up IDPA and IPSC leagues. IPSC was once a lot of fun until some people ruined it for me. I blew out a knee during a shoot on an assault course. I got a lot of crap for it, and my weight saying how disgusting it was. I said I did matches for fun, their range people got mad at me about not taking it serious. I think a lot of it was some 5' 8" 360+lbs guy made it to "B" class, and when given a shotgun I'd win too often. I quit because of them and I ended up peaking at 426 because one of my outlets that was helping me lose weight was gone.. I'm now south of 279 and wanted to get back into it. So I'll have to continue with the informal group I shoot with now. They are more the IDPA type anyway. April is a long way away for our next get together.

It seems the IPSC and IDPA clubs in my neck of the woods are all gone. What is left is too far away. I was looking to get back into something practical, but that looks to be out. Last I did it was probably nearly 25 years ago. IPSC and it's rules were always a pain. IDPA once wasn't much more than a pamphlet and it looks like they created a lot more classes and rules than it once was.

I still have a lot of my original gear for IPSC. My Wilson and Ernie Hill stuff is probably way out of date anyway. I know my race guns are near and over over 30 years old. They were top of the line in 1987-1992 from Les Baer.

I'm probably going to have to look at SASS again. I still have all my gear for it as well, not as practical, but at least, never goes out of date. :D I'll have to have my gun belt shortened or it will fall off. It fit when I was over 400.

Funny thing is today, I'm probably in worse shape than then. Weight is still going down, I can move a little faster, but I probably have somewhere between 7 to 9 metal implants alone. I can set off metal detectors naked and cause hysterical blindness at 400 yards at the same time. Not to mention that I can tell sitting in the house when the temps are below freezing.

Supposedly there are some informal indoor IDPA leagues within an one hour drive of me I'll have to check out.

Maloy
Don't know what your armory looks like, but one thought would be to check out Cowboy Action Shooting.

Also, if you're a 1911 junkie you can go with the Wild Bunch category in SASS.

I enjoy USPSA in spite of the 'eye of the tiger' shooters. It didn't take too much for the rankings snobs to realize they couldn't underestimate the importance of their opinion, and that more than a few of them couldn't miss fast enough to beat me with my box-stock 1911 (more than once I've been HOA in a division).

I found that one of the best insulators to that kind of foolishness is to just be a good squad partner. After the stage has been shot, GOYA and go forward to help paste and reset. If it's permitted and people do so, then police up some of other shooters' brass and hand it back to them when they come back from checking their scores. Volunteer to keep score and do it right. Help with set-up and tear-down. the added benefit is that it ties in to what you imply is part of the reason you shot -- getting out and burning some powder.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Maloy
It's a shame some folks think like that. Of course it happens in all walks of life. It's just so much more noticeable in a confined setting like that. I don't really see any of that type of behavior at our club. I suppose some exists but it's not common. We have 1 young guy that shoots in a wheel chair. I see everyone do what they can to make it possible for this guy to shoot. We have 1 guy that is missing his left hand from about mid forearm. I have seen him shoot 3 gun and does quite well at it! Of course we have some older folks that don't do much more than walk from 1 shooting position to the next, let alone run! Heck I don't do much more than what might be a high speed waddle!

Hopefully you can find a type of shooting you like and a group of folks that don't spend every waking second on how fast they can go and beat everyone else. Hopefully there will be some folks that place having fun high on their list of priorities.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts