Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've posted anything, I've been busy with work and considering
a possible move out to the boonies. I've been looking at land most weekends, I want
to move further away from the traffic and the congested chaos that the Raleigh area
has become. I'd also like to have a spot to grow a garden and live more like my web
alias at TaurusArmed.net. I hope everyone is doing well and I would like to say hello
to all of the new members here.

OK, its time to get back on topic. I've been looking at semiauto rifles at some of
the local gun stores. There are so many choices and price ranges out there, enough
to make my head spin. This will be my first semiauto rifle so I would want something
user friendly and easy to maintain. The AK types are practically indestructable, the AR
platform is more accurate and it is easy to add accessories to. I need some suggestions;
What do you like and what should I look for before I buy a semiauto rifle? I'm a novice
when it comes to semiauto rifles so any input from the more experienced members here
would be appreciated. With a few more acres of land, I would have more room to shoot
longuns, so that is one reason I've gotten the semiauto bug.

·
Registered
31,694 Posts
I have owned both and prefer the AR platform due to weight of the firearm and accuracy of the firearm.

More money, but if you step up to an AR 10, you can have the .308 that makes the rifle a great deer rifle also, as well as an accurate reach out and touch someone rifle.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
You first need to decide AK or AR. Then you need to figure how much you want to spend. You can spend $600 to $750 or so on either one and then you can spend as much as you want. I own both and I love that with an AR you can built it from the smallest parts very easily with minimal regular tools. The AK is indeed hardy but not nearly indestructable. They are really accurate out to 100 yards, but beyond that range you start to really need to spend money to get them even half as good as a decent AR at three hundred. Another tip for the AR is the crazy options for caliber and the ease of one lower with as many uppers as you can afford. I get more fun out of my AR's but I can't imagine not owning an AK. A very close second to the AK is the SKS. I still slap myself that I sold mine. I really neet to find one to replace my old one.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I respectfully diagree with Maximumbob54 above. You first should decide what are you going to want the weapon for. Game getter, Long Range Plinking or hunting, home defense, etc. Once you decide on the purpose then the rest is preference. When i started I had no idea what I wanted. So I chose an AR as a platform. About all I knew was that I could hang a bunch of stuff on it. There are so many options to configure the rfle to whatever purpose you may want. After shooting it for awhile (3 years) and playing around I discovered I really enjoy long range plinking at the range and having somehting that is slightly different than what every one else has. I purchased a Doublestar Star15 Carbine 3 years ago. Disassembled it last year and rebuilt for its purpose. Added a Hogue free float tube, Bushnell Banner Scope, Railed Gas Block, offset BUIS, Bipod. It shoots great at 300 yards. (longest range availible to me right now).

My recommendation, If you know what you want do some research online, you should be able to find a purpose built AR. If not, start with a good, inexpensive platform. Doublestar, Stag, Rock River, Bushmaster, etc.. all make good basic platforms for around $600 to $700 that can be modified to suit a specific purpose as needed. As you define a purpose for the rifle, build to suit. I shoot with many law enforcement guys who look at my rifle and love it because its different, but with a 4 x 16 scope, there is no quick target acquisition. It limits their intended purpose. But coyote hunters really like mine because it is so darn accurate and has a great long range scope. It took 3 years to build my AR to suit me. I have spent a lot of the post talking about my rifle because rifles are very personal. You can spend as much as you want to achieve your desired purpose. Or just nuy the basic rifle and enjoy it.

I really don't know much about AKs. So I won't comment only to say what I hear. They are excellent reliable rifle for use within 100 yards.

The AR10 .308 discussed previously is also a great option if you have the money. I don't know if the accessories are as plentiful.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
You could always go with the best of both worlds and pick up a Saiga, which can be chambered in the old 7.62x39 or the more modern 5.56x45/.223. If you really want to have some fun, you can also get them in .410 & 12 Ga. and get 10 rounds of rapid fire buckshot flying through the air. They're usually able to be dressed up a bit more than a standard AK, and usually a bit more accurate than the usual surplus ones. The other fun part is that the price tends to be far lower than an AR, if that's a determining factor.

Reactions: Taurus_9mm

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would probably use the rifle for target shooting, plinking and having fun more than anything
else. If doomsday ever came, it would be nice to have in a survival situation. I have a lever
action Marlin .30/30 and a Savage 110 .30-06 bolt action that I use for hunting. I just couldn't
see myself popping twenty rounds at Bambi in the woods unless I was starving and that was
the only way I could take her. Maybe I would throw it in the truck for coyote and pest control
if I am going to be moving like I mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
You seem to be in a similar situation as I am. I just purchased a complete AR-15, and a .22 upper with info I got from Lazy Eyed Sniper. It will let me have fun at a cheap price and still have a good self defense rifle.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
ncfarmer:

I've been missing you around here and am glad you are back.

Thanks for posing your questions to our forum members. I've been thinking seriously about buying a tactical semiautomatic, and am enjoying the comments that your questions have elicited.

Regards,
Harry

·
Administrator
17,584 Posts
If you want a good quality Budget AR, I recommend the DPMS AR style Rifles. If you want something in the middle and would like to go Gas Piston style, I recommend the Ruger SR556. After that, the sky's the limit.

For an AK, I recommend the US Made IOinc. Rifles as the top of the line. Welcome to I.O. Inc.
http://www.royaltigerimports.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=24

Arsenal Inc. imports and makes a Saiga Conversion that is of excellent quality and would be my second choice in an AK:
Russian Arsenal SGL21 Saiga 7.62x39 Rifle

SKS Rifles are very nice too and I recommend those as well. However, as with any used Mil-Surp, it's condition condition condition!

Reactions: Taurus_9mm

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hottest girl on the block right now is the Smith and Wesson AR15 Sport and they can't keep them on the shelves around here. $650-ish and they are really well built!
They're lower in price than a normal AR because the barrels are melonite vs. chrome lined, no forward assist and lack a dust cover. Still a great AR and of course it comes with SW's great warranty.

·
Registered
31,694 Posts
I would probably use the rifle for target shooting, plinking and having fun more than anything
else. If doomsday ever came, it would be nice to have in a survival situation. I have a lever
action Marlin .30/30 and a Savage 110 .30-06 bolt action that I use for hunting. I just couldn't
see myself popping twenty rounds at Bambi in the woods unless I was starving and that was
the only way I could take her. Maybe I would throw it in the truck for coyote and pest control
if I am going to be moving like I mentioned earlier.
Considering you have a 30-06 and 30-30 already, and what those calibers will handle and the chores those will handle. I'm going to recommend an AR in 5.56.

The ballistics of the 7.62 x 39 and 30-30 are very similar and you already have a more accurate platform than most AK's with your Marlin.

The AR will be much lighter to carry around hiking, and the ammo ballistics and accuracy better if you have a pest problem like ground hogs, prairie dogs, beavers, coyotes etc.. Ammo cost are pretty much a wash.

There isn't much point in you getting anything in .308 or 7.62 x 54 as you have that covered with your 30-06, ballistics wise and the platform you have with the bolt action gives you good reach out and touch someone, long range accuracy.

The AR seems to me that it would best fill the niche you don't have already covered. The 5.56 chambering allows you to fire 5.56 or .223

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
The new style Hi-Point carbines are inexpensive, come with accessory rails, are chambered in pistol calibers and are realy fun to shoot...

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Hottest girl on the block right now is the Smith and Wesson AR15 Sport and they can't keep them on the shelves around here. $650-ish and they are really well built!
They're lower in price than a normal AR because the barrels are melonite vs. chrome lined, no forward assist and lack a dust cover. Still a great AR and of course it comes with SW's great warranty.
That's good, but the barrel does not allow the mounting of a grenade launcher.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
27 Posts
Considering you have a 30-06 and 30-30 already, and what those calibers will handle and the chores those will handle. I'm going to recommend an AR in 5.56.

The ballistics of the 7.62 x 39 and 30-30 are very similar and you already have a more accurate platform than most AK's with your Marlin.

The AR will be much lighter to carry around hiking, and the ammo ballistics and accuracy better if you have a pest problem like ground hogs, prairie dogs, beavers, coyotes etc.. Ammo cost are pretty much a wash.

There isn't much point in you getting anything in .308 or 7.62 x 54 as you have that covered with your 30-06, ballistics wise and the platform you have with the bolt action gives you good reach out and touch someone, long range accuracy.

The AR seems to me that it would best fill the niche you don't have already covered. The 5.56 chambering allows you to fire 5.56 or .223
+1 to the above statements.

Get an AR. The availability of ammo and options is vast. And this is an extremely fun rifle to shoot- very addicting! Check out Palmetto State Armory for some good deals in complete rifles and kits.

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think at some point in time you'll wind up owning both platforms. I think the AR is what you'll enjoy most and what you're looking to do now and with a .22 upper or conversion kit, you'll get to enjoy your investment at less the cost of .223. With that said, somewhere down the line because it happens to all of us, you'll want something new and versatile/rugged like an AK platform, maybe even an SBR (if NC allows it). I've owned five AR's (1 Bushmaster, 1 SGW and 3 Colts) and recently sold my Polytech AK that was Pre ban. I'm looking to simplify my collection, but I know that at some point I'll own both those platforms again in the future.

My two cents.

Good luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
To add another question for the saiga recommendations in 223 or 556. Since it is essentially an AK, will you get better long range performance from the saiga in those calibers, or is it still only "recommended out to 100 yards or so?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hi,

I don't have an AR or AK, but I did want to let you know that the former owner of Bushmaster, opened a new factory in Maine.
It's called Windam Weaponry. They offer lifetime warrenty too!
Windham Weaponry Online -

At the bottom of their web page is a review on their product.
It provides the history of the business, and a review of their rifle.
I couln't paste the link but is titled like this.
Windham Weaponry Online Weaponry MPC Review by Grampas Guns

Rob

1 - 20 of 30 Posts