Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does your family plan having for Christmas dinner ? We had brisket last yr so trying to decide what to have this yr and looking for suggestions .

·
Registered
24,600 Posts
Beef, it's whats for dinner. We usually have a three or four bone prime rib roast.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
We're tossing around the idea of doing cabbage rolls or stuffed peppers. Anything other than traditional food. I'm buying 1200 ribeyes tomorrow for work, if there's any left may do steak and potatoes.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're tossing around the idea of doing cabbage rolls or stuffed peppers. Anything other than traditional food. I'm buying 1200 ribeyes tomorrow for work, if there's any left may do steak and potatoes.
WOW , 1200 Rib-eyes’ ?? Where do you work ?? :D :D

·
Registered
31,902 Posts
Ron, on Wednesday, the United Supermarkets/Market Streets in Lubbock will run Prime Rib for under $7 a pound, which beats the $12.50 a pound normal price. These will be on sale until next Tuesday or until they run out. I am calling a General Manager Friend on Wednesday to get a 8 pounder ready for me and will let it age a Week in the fridge.

I was planning on cooking a prime rib anyhow, probably with my ceramic cooker and a little oak to get a light smoke taste into it. If you don't like fairly rare meat, this may not be for you. I will probably cut mine into two prime ribs so there will be 4 ends for the folks who don't like it very pink in the middle. A little Horse Raddish will also be good.

For the finiky people in my family, I have two pork loins, bacon wrapped (when you can find them, these have already been in the freezer a month.

I still have enough coined and corn meal coated okra to fry up for one good feed for our brood.

The ladies can worry about the rest of the sides and pecan pies.

Reactions: RonPT24/7

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
looking at making Rouladen, red cabbage, and cornbread dressing. Probably a casserole of some type...

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Venison sounds like a great Christmas dinner this year. Heck, it sounds like a great dinner for any big occasion.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Don't celebrate Christmas.
Don't do real cooking.
In as much as I expect to be alone I might just heat up a frozen pepperoni pizza, OR maybe not.
The only thing I know for sure is that I will have some candy, probably peanut butter cups perhaps as many as 5.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Beef, it's whats for dinner. We usually have a three or four bone prime rib roast.
+1. Prime rib roast with rosemary jus, garlic bleu cheese mashed potatoes, my wife's green beans and Sister Schubert rolls. (Oddly enough I DO have an in-law sister Schubert.) Maybe mimosas in the morning to start. Finish off with Chef Duane's Champaign Poached Pears with Crème Fraiche and pistachios (a specialty of mine, thankyouverymuch). Then watch a DVR'd Christmas Day Parade. I do love a parade.

·
Registered
14,794 Posts
Doing a Prime rib for our immediate family dinner but will also have several other dinners we have to attend on the 24th and early Christmas day. We'll probably be snacking for those. One of these years I want to do a turducken extreme. anyone know where I can get a humming bird and an emu? Probably going to have to get a bigger smoker and start on Black Friday so it's done by Christmas. Might have to go electric for that one.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Heavy Beef. I like sirloin roast over rib roast.
My dad likes rib so it will more than likely be PR but I'll see what's to be had at the store. My cousins inlaws are raising black angus so i might have to see what's on the farms meat room.
I have some baby collard greens in the garden that will be on the table.

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
After years, maybe decades, of being responsible for feasting the whole family on Christmas Day, (standing rib roast and all the normal fixings), I promised my dear wife the day off now that we're all alone. We miss the departed parents, the far-flung siblings and offspring, but she doesn't miss the preparation and I don't miss the dirty pans and dishes.

For the fifth or sixth year now we will dress up just a little and go to the Island Hotel for their multi-course Christmas Dinner. Of the several main course selections I will undoubtedly have the lamb chops, and she will most likely have the crab cakes.

Knob Creek prior, a house Cab with the meal and coffee with dessert, then home to sloth out. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Doing a Prime rib for our immediate family dinner but will also have several other dinners we have to attend on the 24th and early Christmas day. We'll probably be snacking for those. One of these years I want to do a turducken extreme. anyone know where I can get a humming bird and an emu? Probably going to have to get a bigger smoker and start on Black Friday so it's done by Christmas. Might have to go electric for that one.
If you should pull off your version of a turducken, we want pic's:)

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lots of good suggestions everyone and many thanks ! As much as i like Prime Rib would love to have that but just me and wife and one daughter likes PR , the rest eat steaks burnt so not going to waste that for that reason , however i might buy some for me and wife for New Years Day !

1 - 20 of 43 Posts