Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an all-purpose gun (target shooting, home defense, predator control, etc). I used to have what they call "The Judge" now, and we currently own a 3" model 66 that was made in the '80s. 45 Colt ammo is too expensive and the 66 feels too small and light (it's my wife's gun). I used to have a 6" GP100 that I really liked, but I'm considering Taurus because the prices give me a lot of options. Concealed carry is not a high priority, but I wouldn't discount something like the Millenium Pro, either. I definitely don't want a Raging Bull...the reach to the trigger is too long for me.

Hit me with some opinions ;D

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
For a revolver I'd look at a 6" 357 with adjustable sights like a M66, M627/Tracker or possibly a M608. The M608 is on the large frame but its still smaller than the Raging Bull frame.

In autos I'd look at the 24/7 series (preferably the longer barrel models) or the M92 family (which already have the longer barrel). I'm suggesting the longer barrels to increase your sight radius to hopefully increase your effective range for predators.

These suggestions are off the top of my head. I'm sure that Taurus has other guns that would work that I'm not thinking of.

Steelheart

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at the Taurus site, and I was curious why you suggested the M92 series. Do you feel a 9mm would be effective against something like a coyote? 9mm is about the cheapest ammo around, and I thought of that but people don't seem to think much of that round. Would you consider the 9mm a viable option?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
With the proper load selection, yes. Now, I wouldn't necessarily expect an immediate stop but with a good hit the coyote won't enjoy life much longer.

Now by proper load I'd chose a +P or +P+ JHP around 115 to 127grs in weight from a major US manufacturer. The same load would be used for home defense as well. The ability to use the cheap FMJ for practice is a nice addition. With the adjustable sights you can zero for a given range and practice for the longer shots you might have. The longer barrels that I suggested should also increase your bullet velocity, which should increase the damage done to the target.

But you could also get the same family of auto's in 40 if you chose to.

Steelheart

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
As Steelheart noted the in the flavor of 40 S&W, there is the PT100/101 which is part of the PT92/99 family and there is the 24/7 PRO in 40 S&W as well.

The 24/7 PRO in .45 ACP is always a solid option to consider as well. In fact, as a personal preference, I'd select it over the 40 but that's just me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just bought a Springfield XD45 Tactical in .45acp and I'm loving the hell out of it. Certainly not a summer carry piece but it's nothing a jacket can't handle. Shoots like a dream too, even my girlfriend likes it (actually she picked it out...I knew I'd get her into guns eventually hehe). It's primarily going to be our home defense gun. I'll be picking up a rail light/laser (maybe just light) for it sometime soon.

Looks so beautiful next to my black 12ga. *drools*

EDIT: The Tactical is the 5" btw

·
Administrator
39,479 Posts
I agree with Steelheart. A good .357mag. six inch wheel gun is hard to beat. It'll do everything you listed well. Years ago all I owned was revolvers. Sold 'em all. Now I think I may just buy another. I always liked the Smith&Wesson's. That's just me though. :drool:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I also have to agree about the .357 revolver. You can shoot a .38 round through it making it versitile and there is ammo a plenty for that kind of gun. I intend to purchase a .357 Redhawk at some point. Although, I really like .45s and the weight of the PT1911. Right now the PT1911 is my home defense gun and it is going to be a hard one to replace for my taste in a home defense gun. I am definately adding "tools" to the "home defense toolbox", but right now I feel the most comfortable with the 1911.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
azmark said:
I looked at the Taurus site, and I was curious why you suggested the M92 series. Do you feel a 9mm would be effective against something like a coyote? 9mm is about the cheapest ammo around, and I thought of that but people don't seem to think much of that round. Would you consider the 9mm a viable option?

I think very highly of the 9mm round, it is very accurate, affordable, low recoil and deadly. It will easily do just about anything you want it to do and as well as the hyped 40cal rd. The PT92 series of pistols are among the most accurate 9mm pistols around, there dependability, reliable and their accuracy are rarely disputed. If you need something with more thump then a 9mm, get a 45cal or 357mag wheelgun...

You can't go wrong with any of the major brand names like Taurus, XD, etc... and Taurus has some of the best prices to boot. I own several 24/7 and PT92 pistols, all are excellent.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
+1 on the .357 revolver. Extremely versatile. You can go from plinking with light 38 loads to hog hunting and more with the full house .357's. For a semi-auto I'd suggest something chambered in 9mm like other members previously stated. The 9mm is an all purpose cartridge with many uses to include personal defense, LE and military, and even hunting thin skinned game with the proper load. There are some nasty defensive rounds out there including Winchester Ranger T-series, Federal Tactical LE HST's, and my current favorite Cor Bon Pow'r Ball.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just went into town and stopped in at Wal-Mart. I can't believe the increase in the price of ammo since I last bought some. It's making me re-think my choices. Since I plan to reload for whatever I get, am I just having sticker shock? Have reloading components increased in price as badly as factory ammo?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
With adding the reloading aspect in I'd lean more towards the 357 than the 9mm, mainly for the ease of retaining the brass. I don't reload (yet) but I still save my revolver brass. I don't feel the need to chase the pistol stuff in the grass...

Steelheart

·
Administrator
39,479 Posts
Reloading components have increased as well. Still good savings reloading though. :shooter:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
For ammo think mail order ammo in lots of 500 to 1000 rds at a time. Do a google search for ammo dealers or goto Cheaperthandirt.com for some great deals.

·
32,496 Posts
Bob Milek,David Spaulding, Dr.Topper, and Dave Arnold ( a South African who went through brush fire wars in or near S.Africa) have all written excellent articles as to why if they were allowed only one handgun cartridge and gun the .357 magnum would be it.

All of the reasons why these gun writers figured things this way, or at least most of them, have been already classified here by the respondents.

6 inch barrels have reasonable advantages over the shorter tubed cousins.
Longer sight radius means less sighting error. Better ballistics. Some heft to dampen felt recoil. Or at least for muzzle rise. And the muzzle blast is put that much further away from you.
Since reloading was mentioned one can tailor the loads for accuracy or power as needed.

The 9mm. is a good go along cartridge to complement the .357 magnum. It will, and is used by some outdoorsman for taking down coyotes with 115gr or 124 gr. pills.

Hornady's XTP has proven accurate in a number of manufacturer's guns. These were designed with hunting in mind.

The newer generations of JHPs can do the job as well.

Since the .357 magnum can be used for defense, hunting(including deer sized game), and ammo can be tailored to fit the mission at hand, the versatility of this cartridge is hard to beat.

Simplicity of controls, easy to learn to shoot,simple manual of arms make the .357 magnum revolver a good choice for most pursuits.

There are even "action" shoots for fun or competition that are revolver friendly. Heck, use .38 Specials for most of those. :) .357 mag power if needed.

If others than yourself have a possiblity of shooting the gun then the revolver makes sense as well. Easy to teach others how to use it. Again the simple controls and manual of arms comes into play.

So there you have it. Or nearly all of it. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Quicks draw,

The funny thing about all this is that the gun I am replacing was a 6" GP 100. I guess I'm just reassessing everything before I buy. In your opinion, what is Taurus' most accurate .357?

·
32,496 Posts
From where I stand that goes to the model 66. Then, that's what I have experience with. Other staff and members have remarked on the accuracy being good with all the models. There's been no clear cut winner.

I have 4 in. and a 2.5 inch barreled revolvers. One a 66 and the latter is the 65.These were cutting the proverbial 2 inches at 25 yards.This is with 158grain in both.357 magnum and .38 Specials. This is with Remington or Federal ammo.

If hunting with the revolver is the primary mission then either the 608 or the Tracker version gets the nod. If defense being the primary goal and hunting taking a second place, the 66 gets the nod.

While the 66 can do what the other models do and vice versa, these are all somewhat niche specific.
I would try to handle all three models if you can and see how they balance and feel to you. Since you are replacing a Ruger GP100 the Taurus 66 or the 608 sound more like what you are looking for.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I've given some serious thought to the .45 Colt. I also really like the Gaucho. It would be a great combination, I think. To be honest, I've loved the SAA for as long as I can remember. I think it's kind of like really being attracted to a woman, but avoiding her in case she's a disappointment. Boy, I'm one messed up individual :p

Gaucho owners speak up! Do they shoot well?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Size is not a constraint, so the PT92 is a good choice and any 4in .357 revolver. But don't rule out the Ruger P-series. My Ruger P89 shoots nice tight groups and can handle the hottest loads there are. Even 9mm sub machine gun ammo according to the manual. If you need a heavy round, you can shoot 147gn +p+ ,if that's what turns you on, all day. The only downside is CCW, but as you said, that's not on the table.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts