Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, New to the forum. I owned a 709 about 4 years ago or so and loved it. I moved to a state where I couldn't get a permit to even own a pistol so I just moved to Ga and ordered a new 709. I remember having some feed issues with some hollow points with my last 709. So I was wondering what hollow points some of you are shooting with this gun. I know to run the gun threw a good break in and to polish the ramp but I don't want to go spending to much money on ammo known to have trouble feeding for this gun. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Whatever SD ammo feeds thru you 709 that you can afford to shoot a little on the range will do. I use WWB Personal Protection Series 147gr JHP - it's inexpensive and feeds fires thru all my 9MM's. When I go to the range I generally shoot a mag or two thru my CCW just to be sure all is still well, then get down to the fun part - shooting half dozen different guns. for a few hours. LOL

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
My 709 likes Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr FTX. It does NOT like Hornady Custom or Hornady Critical Duty. Go figure. You ought to experiment with a few different types and see which ones feed well for your gun. Good luck.

·
Registered
36,291 Posts
NO 2 pistols, even consecutive serial numbers will guarantee work on the same ammo, so its a try and see.
Honestly IF you are not willing to invest on testing carry ammo for function then possibly you shouldn't consider carrying?
Most modern carry ammo can be bought either in 20 -25 round boxes.
likely you only get 1 chance if you need to use it so is great investment in time and money..
that being said my reccomendation is any MODERN (read expensive) hollow point on the market today as long as it functions 120% of the time in your particular weapon.
welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
Post #1 ...well...Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine"state.

State of "1 MILLION 150 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Howdy!

I have been lucky in that my 709 will eat any ammo I have put in it. Currently I'm using the Hornady 135gr. Critical duty.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Welcome to the forum... Check out Shootingthe Bull`s videos for best defensive 9mm rounds from a 3 inch barrel.. I think he even used the 709 slim. The winner was the Federal HST 124gr. round.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NO 2 pistols, even consecutive serial numbers will guarantee work on the same ammo, so its a try and see.
Honestly IF you are not willing to invest on testing carry ammo for function then possibly you shouldn't consider carrying?
Most modern carry ammo can be bought either in 20 -25 round boxes.
likely you only get 1 chance if you need to use it so is great investment in time and money..
that being said my reccomendation is any MODERN (read expensive) hollow point on the market today as long as it functions 120% of the time in your particular weapon.
welcome to the forum.
Yes, I'm aware of the importance of reliability in my EDC . I was just looking for a good starting point.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Welcome from East Texas. Federal HST is good for personal defense.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
HST 124grn.
Gold Dots are a little longer in OAL, might be enough to matter in your gun.
All of my 9's get HST 124grn.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Federal HST feeds flawless in my 709.

Welcome from Texas

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Critical Duty - 135gr - flexlocks at the moment....haven't tested everything yet tho'

·
Registered
45 Posts
If it feeds it, federal hst is about the best there is. When I first started carrying I bought the cheapest jhp I could find. I've matured a lot since then. Great ammo is expensive but $25 a box for my life and my family is worth it. Make sure it feeds reliably. I would shoot 50 rounds through it. At least multiple mags of it. Whatever you do, don't buy what's cheap unless you can back it up with testing and research!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts