Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a Kentucky Gun Co. email about their Black Friday sale and while nothing in the sale really jumped out, I did see what I think is a rather unique revolver. I couldn't pass it up and ordered it right away.

It's a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley with unfluted cylinders for both 45ACP and 45LC, a 3.75" barrel in SS. I never knew that the Super Blackhawk was available in a .45 Colt.

·
9,767 Posts
I like my Bisley Cimarron, if I ever get it back from their repair shop. Bluing was coming off the cylinder flats up by the front of the cylinder and the right side frame to grip screws were loose. Maybe it will be accurate if I ever get it back. At this point I am not to sure about Cimarron's quality, glad you bought a Ruger.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Cool piece!

Just so you know, with the barrel so short, ejection of the empties could be an issue. That 3 3/4" is right on the borderline of being too short to even put an ejector rod on.

I do have to admit, I've always thought that the Bisley looks better with a longer barrel but that one looks a whole lot more balanced than some of the cut downs ones I've seen over the years.

I like my Bisley Cimarron, if I ever get it back from their repair shop. Bluing was coming off the cylinder flats up by the front of the cylinder and the right side frame to grip screws were loose. Maybe it will be accurate if I ever get it back. At this point I am not to sure about Cimarron's quality, glad you bought a Ruger.
Cimarron uses Uberti guns finished to their specs. ALL Ubertis are shipped with screws that are either rattling loose or have been (over)tightened by Guido, the Italian Gorilla.

And there ain't no middle ground.

The first ain't so bad- if you know to check the screws. Otherwise, you discover VTI Gunparts (which used to be Uberti Gunparts and, the last time I called them, was still being ran by Maria Uberti) really fast when things start falling off and/or out of the gun. It's really not funny (but I laughed anyhow:devil:), but I've seen whole ejector rod assemblies head down range during matches because of loose screws.

The latter, on the other hand, causes problems when you remember that Uberti was once notorious for using really soft screws. That's when you discover VTI real fast and have to fight with a stripped screw.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Looks like something Lipsey would order up as a "Distributor Special". A little short for me. Ejection with the shorter .45 ACP case will probably be fine.

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like something Lipsey would order up as a "Distributor Special". A little short for me. Ejection with the shorter .45 ACP case will probably be fine.
The only other SA revolver I currently have is a 3.75" barreled .44 Special. The ejector is long enough for the .44 Specials. The difference in case length between the .44 Sp and the .45 Colt is .12" so I'm hoping it will work out.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
The Ruger Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk are just about the finest commercially available Single Action Army derivatives available, IMO. They're relatively inexpensive, good-looking, and practically indestructible.

I wish that Ruger would come out with a heavy duty .45LC/.410 Bore Revolver. They could call it the Ruger Chief Justice.

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
The only other SA revolver I currently have is a 3.75" barreled .44 Special. The ejector is long enough for the .44 Specials. The difference in case length between the .44 Sp and the .45 Colt is .12" so I'm hoping it will work out.
If the base pin interferes with it going far enough, you can always grind a bit off the tip.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
The Ruger Bisley isn't a Super Blackhawk, it's a Bisley. The unfluted cylinder is just an option. And Ruger does make some very nice ones.

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The Ruger Bisley isn't a Super Blackhawk, it's a Bisley. The unfluted cylinder is just an option. And Ruger does make some very nice ones.
After researching it a bit more I find that Ruger lists two different Bisleys, the New Model Super Blackhawk Bisley and the New Model Blackhawk Bisley, I think this is actually the second of the two. Kentucky Gun Co. has it listed as a Super Blackhawk Bisley, but it originated as a Lipseys exclusive and is listed by Lipseys as a Blackhawk Bisley. I've read that the Super Blackhawk and a Blackhawk use the same cylinder frame, which I assume is what allows for the use of "Ruger only" .45 Colt heavy loads to be used in the Blackhawk. The parts that makes these a Bisley is the different grip frame, trigger and hammer. This also differs from the standard Blackhawk in having a steel grip frame or in this case a S.S. Bisley grip frame, which also adds 4 ounces. It does get confusing in as much as the 3.75" barreled Super Blackhawk Bisley looks identical to the 3.75" barreled Blackhawk Bisley and only differ in the .44 mag. chambering vs. the .45 Colt chambering.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=123289

RUGER BLACKHAWK BISLEY 45 ACP | 45 COLT - RUKRBN-45X - LIPSEY'S EXCLUSIVE - 0475 - UPC:736676004751 - Lipseys.com

Ruger® New Model Super Blackhawk® Bisley™ Single-Action Revolver Models

Ruger® New Model Blackhawk® Bisley™ Single-Action Revolver Models

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.