Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a way to tone down the color of the Taurus Billboard on the side of the PT1911? I don't want to eliminate or anything, just fill it in so it doesn't glow bright gold! LOL! I've seen tutorials on filling in roll marks but I'm not sure if those techniques would apply or not. Any photo examples of filled in billboards?

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
Taking some grief at the local gun range, are we? :D

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I think this is a somewhat good idea. I'm not ashamed one bit of my tauri, but it'd be nice to bring my pt1911 a little closer to plain jane elegance. I've thought about duracoating it, but throw that aside as I like the stainless steel matte finish. A way to tone down the rollmarks would be interesting to me, not sure if I'd ever do it, but it's always nice to learn something.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Has anyone found a way to tone down the color of the Taurus Billboard on the side of the PT1911? I don't want to eliminate or anything, just fill it in so it doesn't glow bright gold! LOL! I've seen tutorials on filling in roll marks but I'm not sure if those techniques would apply or not. Any photo examples of filled in billboards?
I assume your PT1911 is a blued model.
I have used the enamel paint technique on the roll marks on a AR and would think it would work well on a pistol. I found flat black to work great. I pretty much used this method, Proper way to color fill engravings/roll marks - AR15.COM

When I am done modifying my PT I plan to have it hard chromed and will probably sand the markings off the slide as I prefer the look of a blank slide.

·
Registered
27,128 Posts
I don't understand the question. I look at mine... it's fine. Looks good, classy even.

Reactions: stickem2

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
My 24/7 was too plain. I filled the engraving with gold paint.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
It is not something you want to do. I do not care for a gun with a bright polished finish and often have them powder or bead blasted. Takes all the polish and shine to a dull textured finish. Once it is gone it is gone. After holster wear makes the texture slick it is easy to re blast. You make a beautiful gun to look at into a working gun.

·
Registered
27,128 Posts
If nickel-plated, engraved, ivory-handled guns were good enough for George Patton, they're good enough for me.

Reactions: stickem2

·
Registered
108 Posts
I assume that the filler is paint. If so, it should respond to paint remover and gentle brushing. This would leave the Billboard the same color as the slide and thus reduce the effect.

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
well to me it all depends on the gun as to how/what color/ or if I do anything to the rollmarks.
I always use fingernail polish by the way!
heres a few examples.
the Ruger and Browning i did those colors becuse they are blue guns, the beretta was done Royal Blue as thats Berettas colors, the Taurus PT1911 Al was done grey because of the frame color.
the stoeger was silver to show up on the black.
IF you use a black fingernail polish/paint, etc then thats about as subdued as you can get without erasing the rollmark.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
Thanks GWK, she shoots purdy well too!
they have discontinued the light weight, to bad!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I like a little "BLING" myself on guns, vehicles ( Not Gaudy just accenting ), and good looking women as long as I don't have to support their lifestyle!!!!

I would still have to convince the wife I was buying finger nail polish for the guns though!

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I don't mind the billboard, but I do like the look of "old iron sides' to me, the billboard make the gun look modern and I was just looking to blend the logos out some to give it a older looking patine. My PT1911 is one of the early ones with thin bluing. It already has a cool, WWII patine to it...LOL! I'd just like to tone down the bright billboard on the sides. No shame in Taurus, I just like the look of guns as much as I like to shoot them.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
That is a nice looking one ya have there!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts