Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Kel Tec Sub 2000 40 cal in May of 2011 with the intention of it being my short range (sub 100 yard) hog gun. I swapped out the forend with a higher quality one that would allow me to mount optics and maintain the ability to fold the gun; this is what I wound up with:

IMG_0774.jpg

I've put about 700 round thru this baby and it's very accurate and was reliable.

Yesterday I ran across a hog and from about 30 yards, put a bead on his, turned out to be a her, shoulder and squeezed off a round right on target. I re-assed the situation and went to make a follow up shot and all of a sudden I was holding 2 pieces of carbine:

IMG_0779-1.jpg

Yeah, I'm fine and I was shooting Winchester white box 180 grain factory ammo and the first shot I fired didn't have any feeding or ejecting issues.
I'm lucky and needless to say I drank plenty of single malt last night simply celebrating life.

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

·
Registered
27,172 Posts
Ouch.
Thanks for the report.
The sub-2000 has been on my wish list for a long time. I will be reassessing that.
Could you give more details about exactly what failed? Thanks.
I mean I can see that the casting(?) failed, but I'm not familiar with the gun. Does the part that failed have to do with the folding? Or is it just a solid part of the receiver?
Kel-Tec does have a good warranty, so I'm sure they'll fix it. But I bet you have a hard time shooting it again!

Glad you're OK.

Reactions: unbrokenfall

·
Registered
277 Posts
Holy Sheep!! I've never seen anything like that before. OTOH KelTec customer service is top-flight and you'll get a new bacon buster out of the experience.

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The solid part failed, not the folding mechanism and in the pictures and more clearly in person the break is very smooth not rough. And like I said I wasn't using re-loaded or "hot" rounds. It's surreal because when it happened I turned around and the first words out of my mouth to my father where "I'm lucky to be alive" he thought I was talking about a ricochet.

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought it in May 2011 and still have the receipt but regardless I'm sure they'll replace it I just hop they pay shipping.

·
Registered
27,172 Posts
The solid part failed, not the folding mechanism and in the pictures and more clearly in person the break is very smooth not rough. And like I said I wasn't using re-loaded or "hot" rounds. It's surreal because when it happened I turned around and the first words out of my mouth to my father where "I'm lucky to be alive" he thought I was talking about a ricochet.
A smooth failure is definitely due to a defect in manufacture. The reason it's smooth is that there was a microscopic crack that allowed the two sides to work against each other and grind themselves smooth. So it is probably not indicative of an inherent weakness.

Reactions: Texheim

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
daymn don't you hate it when your holding something thats two parts that ain't supposed to be. Good thing it happened then and not if you needed it to defend your life, even though with a feral hog... I dunno... but I've heard that is pretty borderline. And after looking at those pics, apparently same with shooting a sub 2k by the way it looks. Now I'm not familiar with these rifle alot cept they split in the middle for storage where exactly did it give way?

mmmmm bacon.....

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMG_0784.jpg IMG_0783.jpg

Here are the two pieces where the break occurred. We're chalking it up to defect in manufacturing and process at this point because the break is smooth and you can notice air pockets in the polymer so there wasn't an actually explosion or uncontrolled gas venting issue. Keltec customer service opens at 8am so I'll be calling them shortly.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I sure hope this doesn't happen to the fools on gun broker paying a grand or so for one of these...

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah. Bang for your Buck! The conclusion was they sent me a brand new gun with a new serial number and I traded it for an AR.

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk.

Reactions: FreeInAZ and jwc007

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Yeah. Bang for your Buck! The conclusion was they sent me a brand new gun with a new serial number and I traded it for an AR.

Thanks for the update.

I've never seen anything like that happen. Looks scary.

I was at the local gunshow last week and there was a Kel-Tek sub 2000 in .40 for sale at $770. No negotiating.

There was also a used HiPoint carbine in 9mm,all chromed up, for $550.

I'm interested in either one of those types of guns to fill a space in the gun safe but I think that I'll just have to wait a bit.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk.
Good trade!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not seen this happen with the 9mm models, just the 40's. I have a 9mm version and have had an ammo issue where the case blew out the bottom right over the feed ramp. It blew the magazine out and blew the safety button out too. It was sent to Kel-Tec just last Friday for inspection/repair. I'm not the original purchaser so I hope they don't really screw me when they fix it. The did ask for my DD-214 for some reason though. Military discount? Maybe...

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not seen this happen with the 9mm models, just the 40's. I have a 9mm version and have had an ammo issue where the case blew out the bottom right over the feed ramp. It blew the magazine out and blew the safety button out too. It was sent to Kel-Tec just last Friday for inspection/repair. I'm not the original purchaser so I hope they don't really screw me when they fix it. The did ask for my DD-214 for some reason though. Military discount? Maybe...
I asked the service guy over the phone what they had done to it, after he told me that it had been sent back. He said let me look at the parts list and maybe I can infer what they did.......oh....... they rebuilt your entire gun......hmmmmmm.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Wow. Had one on my radar for years. Glad for you that they had parts on hand that allowed for a fix / rebuild. I have an image of the Sub 2K wing of the complex hanging with cobwebs!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
JB Weld fixes all problems:D

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Of course everything on the internet is true...bonjour!!
What exactly do you mean by that?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts