Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I clean my gun, do I have to disassemble the trigger mech to clean it? I don't even know where to begin with it Gun Firearm Air gun Trigger Airsoft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I usually spray clean in there with brakekleen, blow dry it with compressed air then lightly oil the area with a high quality gun oil - not WD-40.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
If real bad I scrub with a old toothbrush and hoppes #9 then use the brake cleaner (Non clorinated only) dry and oil

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok cool. I got "powder blast" gun cleaner and a air compressor:) iv only put 50 rounds through it since iv had it. But it still has that factory grease on it. And can I shoot Rem Oil in it after I do all that?

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
When I clean my gun, do I have to disassemble the trigger mech to clean it? I don't even know where to begin with it
When you disassemble a lower there are take-down pins that have to be driven out. The more often you remove them, the looser the fit will be, up until the point where they start wiggling out under recoil. Better to just clean it while it's in the pistol, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
a good cleaning would be what i would do for now. because i'm new at this, i would be afraid i break something.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
+1 on all the above. For polymer firearms, you may want to go with a poly-safe alternative to brake cleaner to play it on
the safe side.

Reactions: aquajim

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I have a S&W Model 59 that I have owned for 30 yrs. I have never dissasembled the trigger mech. A good old tooth brush hoppes #9 and a can of compressed air is all this pistol has seen besides a cleaning brush down the barrel.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
The bottom line is- no. You do not need to disassemble the trigger mech.
If you blow a little air through it and follow with something like Rem oil you are good to go. Many folks use CPL. Run an oily patch through the bore. No need for a brush- unless you see something that a patch will not get.

Its probably not a good idea to use solvents like brake clean or powder blaster "unless you need them". Certainly not every time you clean- unless you shoot an awful lot. Many people do a major over kill when they clean their guns.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
For a revolver, I'll cock the gun and shoot some gun scrubber down through the hammer/trigger mechamism. Usually some black crud will come out if I've been shooting handloads. I'll give it a blast of compressed air to dry it, then follow with a 1/4 second burst of CLP. (Just be sure to wipe away the excess, if any, that runs down the trigger.

All other parts are visible and I can brush them good with CLP, them wipe down.

I've only messed with the internals if I feel the need to inspect, or change, a trigger or hammer spring.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Good question and good answers. As far as a stupid question, not in my opinion. On the subject of asking what you may think is a stupid question remember, it's much easier to correct a stupid question than it is to correct a stupid mistake. Welcome to the forum. There are some great people here with a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience, don't be afraid to tap that knowledge.

Reactions: Southern4x4

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool. I had no idea.. I have a black powder revolver and I have to disassemble it 100 percent to clean it after shooting it. I'm glad I don't have to on this one!

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I cleaned with break cleaner, oiled it, ect. and I can tell a HUGE difference:) the slide/functions are alot more smooth than it was. Thank you guys!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts