Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have had a model 85 stainless for several years. However, this past weekend, after only firing five shots at the range, I tried to use the cylinder latch but it would not budge. It is completely stuck! It is in the normal position, but can not move forward no matter how hard I push. I have never had this problem prior. As you can imagine, the spent shells are still inside the cylinder and cannot be removed. Any suggestions would be appreciated to fix this one.

Thank you,
Synapse

·
Super Moderator
35,340 Posts
I had an old Smith M1917's ejector rod back out a tad (come unscrewed) and cause this. It screws in counter clockwise (left hand thread) Try that. Could be an ammo problem, but it sure sounds like your ejector rod got loose. If that's it, a dab of blue locktite on the threads will prevent this in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great - - can you please tell me how to perform any adjustment to the ejector rod? Just as an FYI, I cannot slide out the cylinder because it is stuck (but it does rotate properly upon trigger pull).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here's another possibility:
One of my students was shooting her brand new alloy frame 85. She could not open the cylinder as you mentioned. The cylinder release screw had backed out a bit. Upon recoil the bolt (the part that the release latch is screwed to) had traveled rearward enough that it caught inside the frame. This took me a couple of minutes to figure out by the way. I removed the latch then took an empty brass case and pushed down on the bolt. It snapped back into place. Replaced the latch, and, done.

This may have nothing to do with your issue but I thought I'd add my $.02

Rodger

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried it and unfortunately, no luck. That was not my issue this time. However, I do truly appreciate the suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
35,340 Posts
You'll have to rotate the ejector rod or hold it immobile while you rotate the cylinder enough to get it to screw in far enough to allow the cylinder to release. Being as there's a shroud around the ejector rod, might be easier to hold it immobile with a screw driver against it or some such and rotate the cylinder left by cocking the hammer. On that S&W, I didn't have an ejector rod shroud in the way and just did it with fingers.

Revolver fanatics like to say that revolvers are jam proof. Hey, I like revolvers, too, but that Smith did this to me, had a Model 10 Smith's forcing cone crack at the bottom where the flat spot is, and I had a firing pin snap off a hammer of a Rossi M971. These "jams" were terminal, well, the jammed cylinder latch wasn't, but it took time to figure out and fix. It wasn't just tap, rack, bang. LOL

·
32,702 Posts
Hey Native Texan. My Taurus revolvers are jam proof. Never had any Schmucker's preserves ever make it into the revolvers innards. Do use a napkin though. :) ;) ;D :eek: ::) :-\ :-X :thumb: :clap: :devil: :loco: :loco: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :bang: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee:

·
32,702 Posts
Sorry folks. Like the 100 pound pigeon sitting on the ground, it was just sitting there and waiting to get get blasted. No animals were hurt during this post. The "Sit Down Comic" strikes again. Sitting down makes one a smaller target than standing up and telling one liners or two or three. :) ;D :eek: ::)

·
Super Moderator
35,340 Posts
That's the problem, you didn't kill any animals for us to eat with them jam sammiches. :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't use a screwdriver. Use an old popsicle stick. This will prevent scratches. Thought of that trick sitting on the can one night contemplating what to do to tighten the ejector rod on a S&W Model 18 .22 revolver.

·
Super Moderator
35,340 Posts
Excellent suggestion, jframe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts