Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have had such a great track record with my standard 24/7 Pro 9mm (had it for almost a year - no problems - other than operator issues), I just bought a 24/7 Pro compact 9mm. Have not had the chance to shoot it yet, but have cleaned it (new gun) and worked with it. My problem is this - the slide catch is almost impossible to release downward when the mag is loaded into the gun. I have never had a problem working any slide catch on a semi-automatic, but this one is practically immovable when I try to release the slide. I just bought it Saturday, but I guess I'm going to have to call Taurus about it.
Any ideas. I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Does this happen ONLY when the mag is installed?

Have you tried other magazines or only one?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Justus. This is happening with or without a magazine in the gun. I got a 13 rd and a 17 rd with the collar with the gun and tried those first. Then put the collar on all of my other 17 rd mags (7 of them). It doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I believe Taurus will tell you that it's like that on purpose. I fiddled with a 24/7 OSS at the NRA Show in Louisville and couldn't get the slide to close with the release. The guy there said that you have to pull the slide back to close it. Not really impressed with that "feature".

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mine will close by lowering the slide catch with or without mag, and with or without ammo in the mag. It takes a bit of force to get it to go down, amount of spring tension Iguess, but it will release without pulling back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doctor -
My other 24/7's slide catch releases without a huge amount of force, but maybe something has changed. I'm going to call them tomorrow while I'm home and see what they say.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called Taurus today, talked to one of the gunsmiths, and the pistol is on the way back for replacement of the slide catch. So I guess I'll be waiting a little while to check it out again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 24/7 Pro C works either way by pressing the slide release or racking the slide. If it is sticking with the mag, then try it with on less round in the magazine. I found that the 13 round mag works better with 12, and the 17 works better with 16. With the full capacity, the magazines seemed to be fully compressed in mine.

I have had no problems with my 24/7 Pro C in 9mm. It is my CCW gun and has been reliable for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Followup: I also have a 24/7 OSS DS that has had problems with the slide release. After assembly, the slide catch would not release when racking the slide. I had to press the release button.

I do all my practice drills by racking the slide to charge the round after a mag change. The same motion for malfunction drills, etc.

I sent the OSS gun back for repairs. The catch release spring kept popping out a gap between the plastic grip frame and the metal inner assembly. My opinion is they need to fit a new grip frame that fits properly.

My 24/7 Pro fits good and has no gap. If they fix the OSS, I'll like it as much as I like the Pro.

The guy at the store where I bought it said that he didn't think the release was supposed to spring back when you racked the slide. He said that none of his guns worked that way and that he had to push the slide release on all of them. BONEHEAD. Sometimes you have to be careful what the guys at the stores tell you. If you bought it at a sporting goods store, they don't all know much about firearms. If you are at a good gun store their advice will be more accurate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry that I haven't followed up on this before now. Got my 24/7 Pro Compact back from Taurus within 4 weeks. Since then I've put though almost 500 rds without any problems at all. The slide functions extremely well now. The gun handles very smoothly. It was very hard waiting those weeks to shoot it for the first time, though.

·
Super Moderator
21,796 Posts
I have a 24/7 PRO C DS in .45 and the slide release is tight like yours the guy at Taurus said it would loosen up when I get a few rounds through it I let a LEO run 50 rounds through it and its much easier to function. He said his was the same and told me to load the mags and let them set and it would help they are vary tight.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just bought a new OSS a couple of weeks ago and was having the same issue. After shooting 24 rounds through it, all is good now! Hate to hear that you were witout for so long but atleast you are satisfied now!

RJ

·
Registered
514 Posts
My slide catch was REALLY tight when I got mine new. It took a LOT of force to push it down. I released the slide by racking it when it was like this. After a few hundred rounds, it loosened up pretty well.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
My PT1911 has a really stubborn slide release when I put an empty mag in, but if I'm loading a full mag, the release is smooth as silk. Go figure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts