Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many of you PT 1911 early model owners have kept your streight eight sights.

For those of you that have never seen them here they are.

These are the straight eight sights that created all the controversy, it took me a little while to get used to them, but I love them now, they came standard on my PT 1911 and were switch out for the three dot novaks in 2010.

I used to hold my front sight picture at a 6:00 O'Clock that being the top of the front sight just under my point of impact, and these are meant to be held with the center of the front dot over my point of impact accurate to 25 yards.

But remember that the weight of the bullet will also make a difference, any 230 gr 45 acp traveling approximately at 850 fps should be dead on.

I wonder if they are still available to order?

Cuban

·
Registered
561 Posts
I still have mine, I find no problems with them.

·
Super Moderator
37,033 Posts
I have them on my PT 1911 and PT 145 and have no plans on changing them. They are fast and accurate.

Reactions: CJS3

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I've got them on my PT1911. Took some getting used to, but now I like them.

·
Administrator
40,176 Posts
My PT1911 still has it's original straight 8's. I learned them on my PT145, and when I bought the 1911, I didn't give them a thought. I like 'em!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Mine has the straight eights on it. I know that they are designed to place the front dot over the bulls-eye, but with my 200 grn LSWC reloads I need to use the 6 o'clock hold. Otherwise I hit well above the bulls-eye at 50 feet (indoor range). I like them.

·
Registered
36,678 Posts
Still got them on my old black Pt1911, it would suit me just fine if all MY Pt1911's had them.
I think as a combat/defense pistol they are a better sight system personally, i love shooting the things.

·
Registered
36,678 Posts
Has anyone has replaced the Novaks with these Straight Eights from Heinie? Is this something a shade tree gunsmith can do?

#415P Heinie Taurus 1911 SlantPro Straight Eight Night Sight Set
as long as you order the Tauurs Cut on them they should be fairly easy to install.
you will need to do a bit of fitting on them.
the Taurus sights will have set screws, so loosen them , tap the sights out.
then the Hienie will not have set screws so you will need to file and fit them and drive them in with a brass punch or aluminum punch.
likey take few tries to get the fitting right, you want it tough to drive in but not imposisble as its a friction fit that holds them in.
there are likely a million videos on you tube to show you how to do it.
I typically get the sight base to where it will go into the slot about 1/3 of the way by filing, then its about right when driven all the way in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
as long as you order the Tauurs Cut on them they should be fairly easy to install.
you will need to do a bit of fitting on them.
the Taurus sights will have set screws, so loosen them , tap the sights out.
then the Hienie will not have set screws so you will need to file and fit them and drive them in with a brass punch or aluminum punch.
likey take few tries to get the fitting right, you want it tough to drive in but not imposisble as its a friction fit that holds them in.
there are likely a million videos on you tube to show you how to do it.
I typically get the sight base to where it will go into the slot about 1/3 of the way by filing, then its about right when driven all the way in.
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like something I may be able to do when I get my work bench set up again.

·
Registered
36,678 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like something I may be able to do when I get my work bench set up again.
You know I was thinking about this and I believe that if you go to Dawson Precision Sights they have an instalaltion video on their web site that covers this very subject, and of course its the same regardless of brand of site.

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
I love mine it didn't take long to get used to them at all. Just remember that they are combat sights not target sights . There are plenty of sights just like them. Express or AO they have changed names . But they have a bigger front dot with a post bottom.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I love my straight 8 sights. I wouldnt change them for anything.

·
Registered
36,678 Posts
Those look really nice. Same adjustability as stock?
do you mean can they be drifted for windage???
yes!
do you mean are they elevation adjustable??
No! but then the standard Taurus 1911 sights can't either.
I think that both Hienie and Novak do offer adjustable sights for the PT1911 however.
NOt sure if you can get them in Straight Eight though? need to check their website for that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
do you mean can they be drifted for windage???
yes!
do you mean are they elevation adjustable??
No! but then the standard Taurus 1911 sights can't either.
I think that both Hienie and Novak do offer adjustable sights for the PT1911 however.
NOt sure if you can get them in Straight Eight though? need to check their website for that.
Sounds perfect. Not necessarily target sights, but very useful for fast acquisition.

·
Registered
36,678 Posts
Sounds perfect. Not necessarily target sights, but very useful for fast acquisition.
Exactly the design idea behind them!
its a lot harder to hit a moving human than a standing paper man!
I find mine faster and truly enjoy shooting the gun.
nobody is in the midlde it seems they either love them or hate them.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I am not a big fan of these sights. If I had a Taurus pistol with them, I would replace them pretty quickly. However, just for kicks, I might like to try a set on a 2" revolver.......

·
Super Moderator
19,944 Posts
My PT1911 came stock with Novaks. My MilPros came with Str8 8s; changed out the 140 for Williams Firesites but kept the 8s on the 145. It does allow for a little quicker target acquisition but they aren't my first choice for gun sights due to my age and familiarity with iron sights over the years.

·
Premium Member
11,232 Posts
I have them on my PT 1911 and PT 145 and have no plans on changing them. They are fast and accurate.
What he said! And oh, by the way. It's I before E, except after C. And straight is spelt with an a. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts