Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some Kimber ads (for a .45) in magazines where the shooters are using straw bales as a backstop.
Anyone have any thoughts on whether this is adequate?

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I considered it once when making my backstop.
I think it was not recommended unless you have a lot of them and can stack them deep enough to stop a bullet.
I settled on home-made sandbags from 40lb bags of Ol' Roy dogfood from Wally World.
And the fact that my entire yard is nothing but sand!
I also discovered that just one of those bags filled with sand is about 12" thick when filled and could stop a 30-06 from 50 yards.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't think they'd do much good as a back stop. Maybe a good target holder (or target if you're not such a good shot), but I can't see it stoping a .45.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it would've been cheaper than having a tri-axle come and dump a load of dirt,which is a possibility. Just not sure how high it would go or it it would spread out when it got dumped.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
It may or may not stop a .45 ACP and I wouldn't want to live with that. I have seen WWB .45's stopped with OSB that had paper stapled to the front. Then again, I have seen armor defeating .45's...

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
I read somewhere, where a guy who reloads, shoots into hay bales (I don't know how many) in order to recover his bullets. I'd say buy a couple and give it a shot...or three.

·
Registered
227 Posts
As long as you could stack them id say 6 to 8 deep lengthwise ot 12 to 14 widthwize but thats alot oh straw bales I can attest to the fact that 8 is not ehough for a 4o cal at 30 ft

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'd think there would be straw all over the place.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
That advertising may lead to people using bales without understanding the requirements.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I have used and do use large round bales(600-700#). I have found if turned side ways they will stop a 30-06 round. If they are turned with the round end faceing you, after about 20 rounds of 9mm fmj hitting in the same area the bullet will pass all the way thru. The bails are 4' by 5'. I don't see where small square bails would work. The best bails I have found that work for a backstop are large round bails made out of corn stalks.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The best backstop I ever made was a bunch of used tires stacked with a fence post inside then filled with dirt or sand. The tires can be got for free if you goto any tire shop, most of the time they will give you as many as you want.

Reactions: dogranch and Slakev

·
Super Moderator
35,545 Posts
Probably a very good backstop....for archery. I would use RR ties/dirt/sand bags/ 3/8" mild steel before straw.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I've used square bales before, and they work OK when hit end-on. After a few hits, the bullets will pass through. In my area, hay is too expensive to shoot at.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I put arrows right through them even at 50 yds. Maybe if you soaked them with water?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well, it would've been cheaper than having a tri-axle come and dump a load of dirt,which is a possibility. Just not sure how high it would go or it it would spread out when it got dumped.
What he said. Typically bales are used for archery. Also it depends what's beyond your backstop. Tri-Ax loads of dirt here in FL (20-22) cubic yards are about $65.00 bucks. We do this all the time. If the driver dumps the load in one spot usually it's about 6-8 feet high. I recommend getting 2-3 of them and have a buddy with a FE loader ready as the pile "melts" down in the weather.

·
Super Moderator
19,641 Posts
Maybe you could put BHO or Eric Holder's pictures on the back of the hay bales - they claim to be able to stop anything bad from happening . . . .

And, on a serious note, my dad's self fashioned shooting range is comprised of target holders with a 3 sided planters box behind them. The front wall of the planter, facing the target being held, is the side missing. The other 3 sides effectively holds the dirt in place enough to keep it from washing away. The wooden sides extend to about 4 inches above the level of the target and the dirt mound is about 4-5 inches deep. Shooting rounds from handgun (.380ACP-44MAG) at 10 yards and up to .308, as close as 25 yards - all rounds have been able to be recovered in the dirt with no rounds ever penetrating the back wall of the "target box". Of course, there are woods behind all the target setups and no houses back there. He uses hay bales for his archery stops.

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What he said. Typically bales are used for archery. Also it depends what's beyond your backstop. Tri-Ax loads of dirt here in FL (20-22) cubic yards are about $65.00 bucks. We do this all the time. If the driver dumps the load in one spot usually it's about 6-8 feet high. I recommend getting 2-3 of them and have a buddy with a FE loader ready as the pile "melts" down in the weather.
GREAT Info! Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well if your Havering a.problem with weathering or (melting) try some cheap sod have spike it down.on the mount and slope it to a ditch or something and it should last for years might save you some money I work in earth moving and this is how we make ourburms

1 - 20 of 30 Posts