Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at 53rdcard's thread on TN concealed carry permits, and got to thinking about my own state. Nebraska, despite being viewed as a "red state," seems a fair bit behind behind other states in permits. We have only 30,000 permits issued in our state. Yes, Tennessee has more than three times the population of NE...but it has more than 10 times the number of CC permits. I looked at a couple of other states that are also viewed as generally "conservative" to make a comparison.

West Virginia has roughly the same pop. as Nebraska, but has 3 times as many permits. Now, someone might say that maybe TN and WV have more crime than NE (don't know if that's true or not), and that might explain greater demand for CC permits. The problem is that South Dakota is right next door...they have roughly half the population as NE, yet have twice the permits. And I know that they don't have as much crime as NE.

I suppose the most logical explanation would be that NE hasn't issued permits as long as those other states. But the fact that we haven't issued permits very long (since 2006) also puts us out of sync with "red state" America.

Anyway, my strange experience
- A couple of years ago, I took my son to a Cub Scout shooting event at the local outdoor range. Mostly .22 rifles and a little bit of shotgun. One of the dads from another pack was proudly showing off his son's new shotgun. It was a double barrel Stoeger - 12 or 20, can't remember. He was talking about how he and his son were going to go hunting, and how important shooting sports were for young boys and how we really have to encourage shooting among young people or it will all die out and other very valid ideas. In my conversation with him, however, I mentioned - very casually - about the training course I had at my Concealed Carry Permit class...and I wasn't at all prepared for his reaction. His eyes got huge. His face went pale. The smile left his face. He turned away and didn't say another word to me. He very obviously didn't approve of CCW, yet apparently thought of himself as very pro-gun. I thought...how strange.

And it occurs to me that the shooting community at large in my state may still hold some very strange and (to me) incongruous views about Concealed Carry permits. Might be part of the reason there are so few permits issued in our state.

Administrator
Depends on other situations and laws. In Texas for instance, the passage of the Motorists Protection Act, possibly caused many not to get a CHL, because they can car carry without a license. I know a few people that would have otherwise gotten their CHL, but their intent either way is to have a loaded firearm in their vehicle.

Banned
Interesting indeed. But, it would be hard to put a finger on why the differences from one state to another.

Reactions: Rossi

Registered
A lot of folks who hunt and enjoy long guns, don't have handguns nor support the right to carry. It is strange I know, but I have ran into the same thing in parts of rural Texas. I have noticed a lower percentage of people who are teachers have been brainwashed and are anti self defense.

The reaction you got was similar to the reaction I got with an old group of buddies from my High School days who had all been hunters during their younger years. Three were in school systems and one was a Doctor in Ft. Collins, Colorado. The subject came up when just trying to make conversation I asked the Doctor why Coloradans had let the state take away some of their gun rights. He replied, "Some of us think it's common sense!" and I got no help from the others. One relied that he hadn't shot his shotgun in 20 years.

Too many people only equate the second amendment with hunting or recreational shooting and there is no educating them, they are all brainwashed.

Registered
A good friend of mine, who regularly joins me when i go to the range, has rifles, and likes shooting all of the difference guns between us that we have. Said that he doesn't feel a need to carry, he has no issues with others carrying, and doesn't ever say anything against my carrying, it just isn't something he wants or feels a need to do. His wife he said would like to get one, but hasn't done it yet.

My father in law who hunted pretty much all of his life from when he could hold a gun to when his body no longer could take shooting a gun, "never had much use for handguns" so he wouldn't even think of carrying, and i never got into a debate about it with him.

My mom and sister however both have permits and are looking for a gun. my wife despite growing up with a father who hunted, and having shot guns, has zero interest in them and doesn't want to join me in my range time. but she also said she likes me having one, and should we ever go camping i am to bring more then one and lots of ammo.

Different folks for different strokes as they say.

I know we have used this saying allot on here, "a gun is like a parachute, when you need it, you need it right now" to us this seems like a simple thing to understand, but to someone else it wouldn't be. So i think, we should think about the other part of that saying, and imagine that a group of people were saying to us, you need to buy a parachute, learn to skydive, and carry it with you at all times, just in case gravity should shift for just a few seconds and you find yourself thousands of feet into the air, you will be prepared and can save your life" to a skydiver, who doesn't have a idea how gravity works, that might actually seem reasonable. To us however, that seems pretty foolish. after all, we never think gravity could reverse. To someone else the idea that crime is something that can happen to them, is ludicrous, to them it has as much chance of happening as gravity reversing, we understand that it is actually a high chance. but at the same time, how often does it really happen to those that are not in places where it would be expected.

For instance, i have lived at 3 places in my life that have been robbed, once at my parents house, causing us to get large dogs, once at a apartment, and i had a couple of people walk into my garage while i was mowing my yard and steal some things. So to me, the thought that crime not just might happen, but will happen is pretty real. The same friend i mentioned above, actually lives in a bad part of town, and has never been robbed, his house even has bars on the windows (was like that when he got it) so to him, the need just isn't there yet.

And that is the way it is with pretty much everyone, you have people who can imagine something happening and they want to prepare for it. And you have people who cannot imagine something happening, or at least something that they would have to handle themselves and not via a phone call to qualified personnel.

Reactions: Rossi and Panda

Registered
The bottom line is... to carry a concealed handgun means you're prepared mentally and physically to take the life of some Bad Guy. Everyone wants to feel safe, it's just that some people can not or do not want to take any human beings life no matter what evil they are doing.
And we have a winner

Reactions: Lmstncwby

Registered
Wi, number 49 to allow cc, yet we have just about 250,000 issued license s.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
....you have people who can imagine something happening and they want to prepare for it. And you have people who cannot imagine something happening, or at least something that they would have to handle themselves and not via a phone call to qualified personnel.
Good point. I didn't have a real hard scrabble childhood, but I worked at McDonald's when I was 17 and the store got robbed by three armed men my first night on the job. They threatened to murder the asst. manager in front of everyone (but didn't.) I wouldn't be surprised if that experience somehow ultimately shaped my view of concealed carry.

I have to admit, however, I was apprehensive when places like Florida became the first to issue carry permits years ago, but within a relatively short period of time (just a few years), it became apparent that guns in the hands of lawful citizens didn't increase crime or violence at all, and often lowered it. Some learn faster than others.

Registered
A lot of people live in a bubble. We have had generations of media tell us how only bad guys or cops carry guns. Sometimes directly and sometimes just as an unstated assumption of stock stories. Have you ever seen one character on TV or in a movie that carried a gun, where somehow that fact became known to the audience, and never hurt anyone. This is the same media that has taught our kids that the most evil person in the country is someone who either builds houses for profit or opens a factory and creates jobs.

And we as gun owners have allowed our opponents to divide us. OC vs. CC. Hunters vs. handgun owners. We need to realize that they want ALL of our guns and will not stop until they have them. Attack one of our rights and you attack all of our rights. Either you believe in freedom or you are a serf.

As for the OP's question as to why the numbers are so low, I see two reasons. One is the relative newness of the ability to have a license. It takes a lot of time for people to start thinking that carrying a pistol is a normal act. The second may be due to the licensing process. John Lott has measured a direct correlation between permit rates and the cost of the process. Mandatory training reduces the ability of people to obtain permits, especially if the class lasts longer than a single day or costs hundreds of dollars. Same for long wait times and high fees. Don't think this is by accident. This is by design. Any barrier to owning a gun is fair game for prohibitionists.

Registered
Good point on cost and process. Lets check if that is the case here.

In TN the class is 6 hours with a test, and 2 extra to shoot so total of 8, shooting your qualified if you hit 38 of 50 rounds inside a 8 inch oval target, 20 shots each from 3, and 5 yards, and 10 from 7 yards,. (we actually had 2 people fail that part)
my cost was $30 for the class, and $115 for the license

Registered
Georgia is about $85 for the permit and fingerprinting. You take the same test required for choosing your church or publishing your opinion or for any other Constitutional right. Statutory maximum time to issue a permit is 45 days. Most jurisdictions are less than ten days (permit is issued by county probate judge. This intentionally removes the possibility of a central database of permit holders).

Reactions: Lmstncwby and Rossi

Super Moderator
Texas is relatively expensive, and more burdensome than many states I think. I think crime rates have a lot to do with it. I still have my Texas CHL but haven't gotten a Illinois one. Honestly, I don't feel like I need one here. I know, I know, stuff can happen anywhere. But compared to the 'hood I lived in Houston this place is like Mayberry.

Registered
The bottom line is... to carry a concealed handgun means you're prepared mentally and physically to take the life of some Bad Guy. Everyone wants to feel safe, it's just that some people can not or do not want to take any human beings life no matter what evil they are doing.
Hey, I don't want to take a human life, no matter what evil they may be doing, but I am prepared to do so if necessary. I think a lot of people who are anti-gun or anti-carry are so because they truly believe that the government is there to take care of them, that and they believe nothing bad can possibly happen to them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Wi, number 49 to allow cc, yet we have just about 250,000 issued license s.
Again, Wisconsin has about three times the population of Nebraska...but EIGHT times as many permit holders!! And CC didn't go into effect until 5 years after it did in NE. If Nebraska had the political history of say Connecticut, I could understand it...but it's...Nebraska! In fact, even Connecticut has a higher percentage of permit holders per it's population than we do. And in liberal Vermont, you don't even need a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Our state legislature has had strong lobbies against CC, and even after it was passed, creepy state senators started trying to trip cc permit holders up by saying, "oh, you can't carry your gun here, but you can there, but you can't over there!" In my opinion, our unicameral system effectively conceals the true inclinations of our state legislature. That, and I believe we have a lazy, uninspired voter base who'd rather watch football.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I figured the low amount of cc holders in Nebraska is because y'all are so busy dodgin them tornaders.....
:) No, I think it's because too many Nebraskans are too busy watching the Huskers (or too busy complaining that they don't win championships.)

Registered
I have found that many farmers and ranchers particularly of the older generations disapprove of concealed carry and frown on carrying pistols. Around here, it may have to do with the old Jim Crow laws preventing blacks from being armed. Long ago, carrying concealed was only done by shady people and criminals - or detectives, not by decent people: they wore their guns outside their pants for all to see. That has changed dramatically over the past 20 years and at a stunning pace. Hopefully, Nebraska will come around.

Registered
Criminals should have the right to feel safe!!!

Registered
Depends on other situations and laws. In Texas for instance, the passage of the Motorists Protection Act, possibly caused many not to get a CHL, because they can car carry without a license. I know a few people that would have otherwise gotten their CHL, but their intent either way is to have a loaded firearm in their vehicle.
When that law was passed I started to carry in my truck. I had considered getting a CHL but at that time I was a casual user of weed and didn't want to become a felon. One day in a Walmart parking lot in a nicer part of Houston a young Latino punk tried to open my drivers side door. My keys were already in the ignition so instead of grabbing my pistol from the glove box and I just drove off looking for a LEO. It struck me that had he approached me before I was in my truck I would have been screwed. That day I gave up pot and started the process to get my CHL. I would much rather be able to defend myself than get high.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts