Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a strange thing happen at the range today. After firing a few rounds the slide on my SR9c would not go all the way closed. Popped the mag racked it a few times & still no go. Took a dowel & checked the barrel for obstruction & clear! Tried agin & no close. Then I looked at the face where the firing pin is & low & behold there was a primer stuck between the loaded chamber indicator & the edge. Popped it off racked the slide & perfect. Inspected the primer & nothing unusual. Inspected the case & again nothing unusual. No signs of cratering in the primer or damage to the case. I'm thinking I got away with a slight overload or maybe a double charge. Any opinions??? No pics since it's a pain to post them but like I said no damage to anything.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Factory Ammunition?

That is strange, I've never had that happen before!

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
i would guess a very ,very loose primer pocket in the new brass case.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not factory ammo TA. My twice fired reloads. 3.2 Titegroup under 124 lrn with Win primers. They were loaded a few months ago so I don't remember if they were loose or tight. Usually if it feels loose when I seat it I'll toss it! Just strange that it would wedge bvetween the loaded chamber indicator & the edge. Come to think of it the discharge did sound a little louder than the rest & had a tad more recoil!! Hmmmmmmmm!! I smell an overcharge!!!!

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
I'd take a look at the primer hole in the case head if you still have the spent case. If the primer hole is enlarged you can get a bit more pressure blown back against the primer. Usually over pressure flattens out the primer in the primer pocket and expands the case head tight around the primer. It could also be that you didn't have the primer seated all the way in the pocket, or as was said above, the pocket could have just been a bit too big.

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
well the reason i thought the enlarged primer pocket is generally you will get a good increase in recoil and report and a considerable amount of case bulge before the primer blows out.
I have seen numerous ruptured cases and the primer was still intact(cratered) as it is somewhat supported by the breechface.
i have seen rifle primers blown out and even punctured but they typically operate at higher pressures.
anyway glad everything turned out Ok.

·
Super Moderator
36,756 Posts
I have read that all primers will back out from the discharge of the powder and then be re-seated again. This was probably a case where the primer pocket was either too loose or the primer on the small side of specification and pushed out past the base of the brass.

·
Super Moderator
35,214 Posts
i would guess a very ,very loose primer pocket in the new brass case.
+1, primers do not blow out from pressure. Cases blow up before primers blow out. I'm betting on the malformed primer pocket.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Loose primer pocket. Mixed brass? If you get a brand that has slightly large primer pockets, and you reload it a few times, add in a primer brand that's a tad on the smaller size, and they can get surprisingly loose. I've had primers fall out of .38 cases. It's only happened to me with Winchester primers in non-Winchester cases. It doesn't happen often. The cases it has happened to me with had been reloaded many, many times. If it happens again try to note the brand of case, and maybe try CCI primers. CCI primers seem a bit tighter (harder to seat) to me. I usually use Winchester primers, but the majority of my brass is also Winchester. You just toss those cases.

You can also just get an out of spec primer pocket.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Im going with everyone on this. Loos primer pocket. Find the case you shot that one out of if you can and check it. Heck, Ditch it. And recheck your loads. Brass shouldn't do that after twice loaded but then again I guess that's why we check our brass specs as well...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts