Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fish posted another thread about Thanksgiving here 2020 Thanksgiving Dinner but it made me think about a crazy story I remember from many years ago.

My mom worked with a woman who was putting on a Thanksgiving dinner for her family. The woman putting on the meal had provided most everything and others brought a few things. The woman's brother and his wife came with a couple of kids and brought a ham. When everyone was sitting around the table and passing the food, someone took a chunk of ham. They were clearly notified by the brother's wife that they had brought the ham and it was for them. Of course, they had no problem taking food provided by the host and others, but they only brought the ham for themselves.

I'd have reminded them they didn't bring the other food, table, chairs, and house, but they were free to use the door.

What strange things have happened at your Thanksgiving get-togethers?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Fish posted another thread about Thanksgiving here 2020 Thanksgiving Dinner but it made me think about a crazy story I remember from many years ago.

My mom worked with a woman who was putting on a Thanksgiving dinner for her family. The woman putting on the meal had provided most everything and others brought a few things. The woman's brother and his wife came with a couple of kids and brought a ham. When everyone was sitting around the table and passing the food, someone took a chunk of ham. They were clearly notified by the brother's wife that they had brought the ham and it was for them. Of course, they had no problem taking food provided by the host and others, but they only brought the ham for themselves.

I'd have reminded them they didn't bring the other food, table, chairs, and house, but they were free to use the door.

What strange things have happened at your Thanksgiving get-togethers?
Not exactly strange but consistent bad manners by my mom's sister's family. They would knock on the door every Thanksgiving about 10 minutes before it was time to sit down for dinner. How they knew what time we would eat we never found out. But they had 2 daughters who were the size of lumberjacks and a 7 foot tall hubby who ate drumsticks like chicken drummies. No one ever offered to help set the table, and not one of them offered to help clean up. But they would belch and say, well we have to go see so and so and see what theyre doin since were up this way. They lived about 150 miles away so they must have been hungry from the long drive.

Oh, one of the daughters who was about 24 had married a 73 year old dude and as they sat at the table, my cousin pulled out her new choppers and she and her old man pulled his and they compared what they paid for their dentures. He dropped his in a glass of water and let them set there until Mom told them they were really rude.

I think it was planned because thats when they got up and huffed out. We had a little powwow after they were gone and decided to just go out for T-Day from then on, and leave by noon and decide where we would go when we were on the road. Never saw them again on Thanksgiving. My favorite was Miss Mamies catfish house. Best tasting thanksgiving I can remember. But it was I who got stuffed that year, not the turkey.

·
Registered
14,816 Posts
only time I've ever had something which seemed rude such as bringing over food only they could eat was a cousin who's kids had special dietary needs. We all knew what the deal was so it wasn't an issue. I think everyone's had the eat and run guests so it's not worth mentioning again.

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
only time I've ever had something which seemed rude such as bringing over food only they could eat was a cousin who's kids had special dietary needs. We all knew what the deal was so it wasn't an issue. I think everyone's had the eat and run guests so it's not worth mentioning again.
I'd like to hear the stories. Each one will have a different twist.
Anything any member of this forum wishes to tell is welcome, and worth mentioning.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I have family who show up (pre-COVID) for a large Thanksgiving meal (c. 50-60 guests) where everyone 'brings something' , and their 'something' would be a bowlful of mashed potatoes. Not special, not fancy -- I strongly suspect their mashed 'taters started out in 3-4 packets on a Walmart shelf.

Food was served buffet-style, precedent has the oldest generation going through first, then sequentially to the youngest. Courtesy says wait until everyone has gone through before hitting the line for seconds.

Thing is, the family with mashed taters also brings a couple of shopping bags filled with Tupperware. Yep. Eat, then jump back in line, fill and leave. Thanks, see ya.

But what do you do -- they're family, the daughter of the patriarch in fact. The hosts are too genteel Southern to say anything, so we respect their decision and let the mashed tater gang go.

Bless their hearts.

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
When I was a kid, we had pheasant for Thanksgiving. I was 12 before I realized that Turkey was the traditional bird. One year, my mom mistakenly used rubber bands to hold the pheasants legs together so the venison stuffing would not fall out. She then forgot to pull the rubber bands before she put the pheasants in the oven. We had hotdogs as the main course that Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
When I was a kid, we had pheasant for Thanksgiving. I was 12 before I realized that Turkey was the traditional bird. One year, my mom mistakenly used rubber bands to hold the pheasants legs together so the venison stuffing would not fall out. She then forgot to pull the rubber bands before she put the pheasants in the oven. We had hotdogs as the main course that Thanksgiving.
My parents told me that at about 2 YO I insisted on having hotdogs all the time. Hot, cold, it didn't matter. Hotdogs at Thanksgiving? Probably, at least for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts