Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
Took my new 709 to the range for the first time and it gave me some strange results. Prior to shooting, I wiped down with solvent and re-lubed, but I guess I didnt get into striker channel. Either way, it would (every couple rounds) fail to feed. Before anyone asks, no limp wrists here. Basically, I would fire first round after a rack of the slide, then some subsequent rounds wouldn't fully chamber, leaving a flat trigger. Sometimes I could give the trig a good squeeze to fully chamber, othertimes I would have to eject mag and clear round. Is this typical of new guns (as gun shop owner stated) or did I neglect to get some packing grease off? Im about 50 rounds in, but wanted advice before continuing on. Thanks in advance,
Youngblood

·
Registered
15,356 Posts
If it's a brand new 709 you'll go through FTF's and FTE's for about the first 100 rounds. You still have to break in the springs on the mags, the recoil springs, etc. If you believe you missed the firing pin channel, pull the slide off and tear it down. that protectant grease/nuclear adhesive that Taurus uses will clog up the firing pin channel real fast if you thinned it with a cleaner and fired it a bunch of times. I would also do the best cleaning and relubing that you can on the frame to clean up the trigger assy. When you get a chance, leave the mags out but loaded up and start racking the slide about 4-500 times. I've done that on all my centerfire Pistols and the difference is amazing.

Reactions: JoshNix9

·
Registered
336 Posts
My 709 is several months old with several hundred rounds through it and has never had a failure to feed, fire, or eject.I field stripped and cleaned it thoroughly with Hoppes & re lubed with CLP and a little light grease on the rails and underside of the locking block prior to the first trip to the range and after every session since. I clean thoroughly with a toothbrush, Q tips, and flannel patches into all the nooks & crannies that I can reach, but I am not a maniac about it. I have never removed the back plate of the slide, the firing pin, or the ejector, but there are you tube how to videos and it does not look too difficult.
If the gun were mine, I think that I might try a more thorough cleaning and one more range test, but it sounds like you are having way more than a few "normal" break in issues. I'm not convinced that a good cleaning will fix everything, but it won't hurt to try. If that doesn't help, you can always take advantage of the Taurus warranty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 709 is several months old with several hundred rounds through it and has never had a failure to feed, fire, or eject.I field stripped and cleaned it thoroughly with Hoppes & re lubed with CLP and a little light grease on the rails and underside of the locking block prior to the first trip to the range and after every session since. I clean thoroughly with a toothbrush, Q tips, and flannel patches into all the nooks & crannies that I can reach, but I am not a maniac about it. I have never removed the back plate of the slide, the firing pin, or the ejector, but there are you tube how to videos and it does not look too difficult.
If the gun were mine, I think that I might try a more thorough cleaning and one more range test, but it sounds like you are having way more than a few "normal" break in issues. I'm not convinced that a good cleaning will fix everything, but it won't hurt to try. If that doesn't help, you can always take advantage of the Taurus warranty.
I was kind of afraid that it didn't sound like break in issues too, especially after cleaning at least a little bit...I guess ill just try again and hope for better results.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I would give it a good cleaning before I did anything else, and maybe try a different ammo to see if it just doesn't like that brand.. My 809C didn't like WWB or Remington UMC, but would shoot Federal all day long... Worth a shot, so to speak

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would give it a good cleaning before I did anything else, and maybe try a different ammo to see if it just doesn't like that brand.. My 809C didn't like WWB or Remington UMC, but would shoot Federal all day long... Worth a shot, so to speak
I was using a variety of range ammo (thinking it may have been the ammo), but all seemed to have issues. I'll clean it up and give an update. If the trigger stays pulled back and squeezing harder occasionally re chambers the next round, does that sound more striker or trigger assembly?

·
Registered
313 Posts
... Basically, I would fire first round after a rack of the slide, then some subsequent rounds wouldn't fully chamber, leaving a flat trigger. Sometimes I could give the trig a good squeeze to fully chamber, othertimes I would have to eject mag and clear round. Is this typical of new guns (as gun shop owner stated) or did I neglect to get some packing grease off? ...
I don't mean to be picky, but I'm confused by some of your terminology. What do you mean by "fail to fully chamber"? Is the slide out of battery and part of the round is sticking out the back of the barrel? What do you mean by a "flat trigger"? How does a good squeeze of the trigger fix a round that didn't fully chamber? More information might help us understand what you are seeing.

Some break-in is needed for many of the small guns, including 709s, before they run 100% reliable. I'm not sure what you are seeing but it doesn't sound normal to me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im trying to think of the best way to describe it. Here is what happens. I put in magazine, rack the slide and fire. Sometimes, subsequent rounds fire with no issues. Other times, the slide is closed, but the trigger is all the way back (almost fully pulled). Not sure on that technical term. On some occasions, I can squeeze the trigger harder, and it resets to firing position where the next round fires normally. There were times where I couldnt get the trigger to reset and would have to drop the magazine and manually rack slide to start fresh. Im newer to all of the terminology, so forgive the ignorance.

I broke it down today a d went to town with CLP, brushes, etc. The recoil spring had some pretty bad gunk which almost looked like corrosion and got that cleaned off, as well as spending some time on trigger and striker area (without disassembling it). We shall see!

Hope that clears it up and let me know if you need more info!

·
Registered
313 Posts
It sounds like the trigger bar is rubbing against the magazine (or ammo) and that friction prevents the trigger from returning to the forward position (via the trigger spring). Maybe you can remove the slide insert a magazine and visually inspect for any interference. Alternatively, this may be an issue where the trigger bar hangs on the disconnector (I assume you have the newer 4-pin version).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It sounds like the trigger bar is rubbing against the magazine and that friction prevents the trigger from returning to the forward position via the trigger spring. Maybe you can remove the slide insert a magazine and visually inspect for any interference. Alternatively, this may be an issue where the trigger bar hangs on the disconnector (I assume you have the newer 4-pin version).
Good idea. Ill take a look and let you know. Is this something that is easily fixed or a round trip to Miami?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good thing it is easy to find mags for me to test that theory ;) As you can tell by my posts, comfort level isnt great at all. Its about as clean as I can get it, so im going to the range tomorrow and then will check with a Smith there I guess after my own investigations. Thanks for the help and will follow up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so I took the slide off and pulled out the magazine to see if I could repeat the behavior, and I'm wondering if I found the issue. The only time that I could get the thing to replicate the behavior is if I simulated my finger slipping off of the trigger safety. I'm wondering if it's possible at the range I was giving a strange or inconsistent pressure on the trigger meaning that it was catching itself at the back. When I'm firing (like with my G23), I pull the trigger with it in my first knuckle (the crease). This seems to be when the trigger is locking up on my 709. When I am pulling the trigger with the meat of my finger, it doesn't seem to have the issue.

Are these guns finicky with their trigger safety or is it possible that mine is being a bit sensitive?

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Most people have good luck shooting the 709 with just the pad of their finger and not the first joint. I know I use just the pad and that seems to help keep the pistol shooting straight instead of the normal complaint of low/left hitting. If you are using the first joint, the trigger safety may very well not be fully depressed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Mike. The trigger feels so familiar in that spot based on my experience with my glock, but I'm hoping it's something that simple. I can't seem to replicate the behavior using my pad, so I am optimistic, though it will take some time to get used to that shooting position. Who knows, I wasn't a bad shot before, but if it helps to improve, maybe it's a blessing in disguise!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well ef...had several more failures, including one really bad jam. Had the smith there take a look and there is something wrong with either the striker or the sear. Guess it's heading down to Miami... :(

·
Registered
913 Posts
Since you are in STL, can I ask which shop/range you go to? Always like to hear other people's experience.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The most likely cause for a round failing to fully chamber in a new pistol is an extractor that's a little too tight. It'll grab the case head and not allow it to 'turn the corner,' but it will look like the round is hung up on the top of the chamber. With use the extractor spring will loosen up a bit, and the extractor claw itself will wear a little. Shoot it more and see if you continue to have problems after 2-300 rounds.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My favorite shops are Mid America Arms and On Target. I just like the folks at those places best, and MAA has a great selection, even in times like this. As far as ranges, I typically use Top Gun because it's close, but I prefer the MDoC Henges, mostly just because it's dirt cheap and I love being outside. How about you?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts