Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the spring, I took him to buy a new 45. He wanted a M&P or the 24/7. I told him that even though I had a mag issue(replaced) I would buy it again! He came home with it and liked it until about 3-400 rounds, when it started to have feeding problems, like mine. I asked him if he had ever cleaned the mags. He said no, just the gun. He called me Sunday, all happy. He said after he sprayed the mags with a cleaner, the next 200 rounds fired with no problems. He going to keep it now!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Happy ending. And good call on your part. I wonder how many semi-autos have been sold or traded (at a loss) for no other reason than the magazines were dirty...

·
Administrator
17,814 Posts
kansas_plainsman said:
I wonder how many semi-autos have been sold or traded (at a loss) for no other reason than the magazines were dirty...
Quite a few, I believe! And the Gun Dealers, some of them, are quite happy to take their Money and Gun in trade!

·
Administrator
17,814 Posts
I have two methods of magazine Cleaning: Minimalist and extensive!
Most of the time, only the upper third of the magazine gets dirty, but sometimes it does become necessary to fully clean the whole thing. Particularly after some extensive shooting or just periodicly.

The Minimalist method involves shoving the Magazine follower down below the Magazine Latch hole and temporarily pinning/restraining it in place with an appropriate size nail or rivet. Then I just take my cleaning rod/brush with a Gunscrubber soaked patch and swab out the upper area. One swab will usually do the trick.

The Extensive Method involves complete disassembly of the magazine, swabbing out the Magazine Tube with a GunScrubber soaked Patch and a thorough cleaning of the Magazine follower. As the Magazine Followers are Polymer, I spray them down with Windex, Rinse, and Dry.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
jwc007 said:
The Extensive Method invovles complete disassembly of the magazine, swabbing out the Magazine Tube with a GunScrubber soaked Patch and a thorough cleaning of the Magazine follower. As the Magazine Followers are Polymer, I spray them down with Windex, Rinse, and Dry.
A method which is followed to this day by the NYPD armorers. (Yes, they actually use Windex as jwc007 stated)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My fatherinlaw is a gun nut!!!! At 70, he still shoots a lot. He washes his mags out with kerosean? and blows them out with air. He said it was done all the time when he was in the army.

·
Registered
846 Posts
You know the instructions that come with these guns tell you about the mags and how to clean them, are we gettin as the women say we are, that we dont read instructions or ask for directions, I cant let the Ms. read this site she will say "I told you so" ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The mags are a pain to get back together. I clean mine with "Break Free Powder Blast" . It is fast and does a great job! The way I look at it, clean is clean!

·
Registered
846 Posts
That works very well, My point as others say JUST clean it, it works better. I wonder how many problems are just from dirty guns. They have spray cleaners that won' hurt the Polys on the gun also. The lubes and greases etc have came along way since I used to shoot.
I am learning all over allot of this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hold on Tex. Climb off that horse and sit a spell. I have read the manual. I wanted to see if it was necessary and how often people disasemble the mags for cleaning. I have not taken the mags apart to clean, they havent been that dirty or so I think. I have shot approx 800 rounds without problems. I have seen very little dirt when cleaning it. Thanks for all the rersponses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts