Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Walked into Larry's in Huntsville, Alabama and there were cases of .22LR, .22Mag, and even .22 Shorts stacked near the door for sale. Don't know where you are but in north Alabama there is plenty of .22RF around.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I have simply had enough of the hoarding of .22!!! I mean I haven seen a bulk box of .22 and over a year!!! I got being prepared and I am all for that. But leave some for the rest of us!!!

Good morning all!

happy-ditto.gif

Reactions: PCS01

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have simply had enough of the hoarding of .22!!! I mean I haven seen a bulk box of .22 and over a year!!! I got being prepared and I am all for that. But leave some for the rest of us!!!

Good morning all!
No kidding! I'm getting pretty pissed too.

I'm not sure why there is such a difference from one place to the next. I hear people talking on here about finding .22 LR again, but it's definitely not the case by me either.

I just bought 3 50-round boxes from Walmart the other day. That was the first time in two years that I have actually seen .22s on the shelf. I have yet to see a bulk pack anywhere. It's not like I go to every seller in the area on a daily basis looking, but every time I'm in Walmart/Meijer (like Walmart for us northerners), I walk past the ammo area. Nothing. Apparently .22s come in fairly regularly at my local Walmart, but people know when the shipments are put out on the shelves, and they pick the cart clean as soon as it comes out of the back room. They even limit it to 3 boxes per person per day, but those who come in just bring a bunch of friends with them and buy everything they have.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
No kidding! I'm getting pretty pissed too.

I'm not sure why there is such a difference from one place to the next. I hear people talking on here about finding .22 LR again, but it's definitely not the case by me either.

I just bought 3 50-round boxes from Walmart the other day. That was the first time in two years that I have actually seen .22s on the shelf. I have yet to see a bulk pack anywhere. It's not like I go to every seller in the area on a daily basis looking, but every time I'm in Walmart/Meijer (like Walmart for us northerners), I walk past the ammo area. Nothing. Apparently .22s come in fairly regularly at my local Walmart, but people know when the shipments are put out on the shelves, and they pick the cart clean as soon as it comes out of the back room. They even limit it to 3 boxes per person per day, but those who come in just bring a bunch of friends with them and buy everything they have.
Then these POS's take the ammo and sell it at inflated prices at knife & gun shows....:mad:

Reactions: BMC and PCS01

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,950 Posts
Sneering and in a dastardly voice " So, what's it worth to you?"

feeling your pain :(

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I haven't bought any since 2009 / 10. Back then center fire calibers were all gone, but .22 was $13-16 /500. I bought a box when at wally world sporadically to be able to teach shoot'n to the kid. Seeing current prices raises the pucker factor of the wallet to "11"!

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
If the hoarders and resellers were to never buy another .22 rimfire round at Walmart prices, the reaspnable priced .22 in stock at a retailer might last a day at the most, because folks who have had trouble finding it for decent prices will also become hoarders.

Forget the bitcoin, .22 rimfire has become the new currency. People aren't paying the exorbitant prices for it on auction sites that they were two years ago, but it is still good, hard currency at local gun shops who tell me their distributors claim they have none.

I have always been a good ammo scrounger and previously had no trouble getting .22, but the past year it has become much tougher for me to find. Walmart has removed all bulk .22 from their smart phone app except for Federal, and the first Federal bulk in 6 months hit our Walmarts last week. Considering how many new Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, Gander Mountains and even local gun stores have opened and how many new shooters we've added in the past 3 years, it is no wonder .22 is in short supply. Very few new .22 production lines have been added.

At small outlying Walmarts around Lubbock, the general managers have made it a practice to buy all the .22 that comes in and sell it on the black market. Two of our four Lubbock Walmarts are bad about the .22 ammo being received never making it to the sales counter.

It's a shame .22 ammo has become the way it is, because it is the ammo young shooters start with and learn with.

I'll be curious to see if reasonable priced .22 ever stays on the shelves again for what was previously considered a normal length of time.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Good reason to get a pellet rifle IMO.

Reactions: PCS01 and Jake3501

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Rat out those managers to corporate headquarters. Get them the Trump Treatment "You're Fired!"

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
I have simply had enough of the hoarding of .22!!! I mean I haven seen a bulk box of .22 and over a year!!! I got being prepared and I am all for that. But leave some for the rest of us!!
Then these POS's take the ammo and sell it at inflated prices at knife & gun shows....:mad:
Got news for you. As one of those of us who were farsighted enough to see what was coming, and began stockpiling, I have little sympathy for those who did not and are now complaining. Sounds to me like the shooters version of penis envy. I don't "hoard" and I don' "resell." However, I do watch trends and prepare. I'm down to around 20,000 rounds from around 70,00 at one time. And before you get your knickers in a bunch, most of the rounds went to support my 4-H Shooting Club. Some I gave away to friends who did not have any and couldn't find any. The stuff I gave away came from my own stock, and not my club's stock. If that upsets anyone, all I can say is, "too bad."

·
Administrator
39,720 Posts
I have plenty, right now, so I'm not looking for any. But if some should appear on a shelf sometime, at a decent price, I'll glom on to it!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I fired 27 rounds of 22 LR yesterday, first 22 Rimfire I've fired in several years. There are 22 revolvers and pistols showing up in the used displays all over this part of my world. People can't get ammunition so they are trading them in. I've bought 2 in the last year and I have a lifetime supply of 22 ammo at the rate I use it. I'd rather cast and load my own than shoot 22.

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
The good news is Centerfire ammo is in good supply, and 9mm has become available at sub $10 a box of 50 for the Federal Aluminum cased ammo.

I would think it might behoove Marlin and Ruger to look at opening .22 ammo production lines since they produce so many .22 firearms.

I did recently request notices from Midwest Shooter's supply for when they had .22's of various brands in stock, and was impressed when about 7 days later I got a notice on CCI Mini Mags and was able to order 10 boxes of a 100 for under $9 a box including shipping.

I also got a notice about CCI Stingers but didn't need any of those. After 30 days, there have been no other notices on Midwest even having any of the other 10 selections I requested which were variations of Remington and Federal bulk. For .22 WMR, forget about it,

·
Registered
867 Posts
Got news for you. As one of those of us who were farsighted enough to see what was coming, and began stockpiling, I have little sympathy for those who did not and are now complaining. Sounds to me like the shooters version of penis envy. I don't "hoard" and I don' "resell." However, I do watch trends and prepare. I'm down to around 20,000 rounds from around 70,00 at one time. And before you get your knickers in a bunch, most of the rounds went to support my 4-H Shooting Club. Some I gave away to friends who did not have any and couldn't find any. The stuff I gave away came from my own stock, and not my club's stock. If that upsets anyone, all I can say is, "too bad."
What should I be stockpiling now? ;) I'm not sure if you had inside information or what, but I (and obviously others as well) didn't see this coming -- for whatever reason. By the time I realized that .22s were going to be as rare as hen's teeth for years at a time, it was too late. Believe me, if I would have known, I would have bought three or four bricks, and that would've been sufficient for my rate of usage to last me several years. I'm not asking for a ton of the stuff. It would be nice to be able to shoot it a few times of year though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you had the foresight to put away enough .22s to make it possible for the kids in 4-H to keep shooting through the shortage. That would've been a real shame if that program had to end until things change. But, I think you basically calling the rest of us stupid for not seeing the long-lived shortage coming is a bit harsh.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts