Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
POSTED ON:

DUF Digest, 05-16-12Man Filmed on TV Show Trying to Sell Stolen Gun | firstcoastnews.com

Stupid Is as Stupid Does:
Police arrested a 64-year-old man accused of stealing a rare, antique gun after he was spotted trying to sell it on a television show. Wheat Ridge Police say they arrested Wylie Gene Newton of Erie for allegedly stealing the gun from a private museum in New Mexico in December. The gun is a Colt Dragoon black powder revolver that dates back to the 1800s. It's reportedly valued at $20,000. Police say Newton tried to sell the gun on a reality TV show called "American Guns," which is filmed at a Wheat Ridge gun shop. A viewer who knew about the investigation let authorities know about Newton after he watched the episode, which aired in December. The man on the show went by "Wylie" and took two black-powder revolvers to sell at the shop. Authorities in New Mexico contacted the police in Colorado. On May 10, undercover detectives met with Newton and offered to buy the stolen gun. He was arrested and police recovered the stolen revolver. He is being held in the Jefferson County Detention Center pending extradition.

Man Filmed on TV Show Trying to Sell Stolen Gun | firstcoastnews.com

--

·
10,379 Posts
If I remember correctly they called in 2 experts and it was discover not to be a authenic dragoon
ROFL which means either the museum was wrong or the experts were wrong. Awesome, this story just keeps getting better and better.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Anyone know what it was that kept Gunsmoke from buying it? Good thing they didn't.
I saw the episode and he brought in two guns the Dragoon and another gun. One of them wasn't an original but if it had been they would have gone as high as 500K for both guns. They brought in two of the best Colt experts in the nation and they couldn't verify the authenticity of one of the guns just don't remember now which it was.

Reactions: darbo

·
Super Moderator
13,773 Posts
I saw that episode. The seller kept insisting the dragoon was authentic, but the two experts pointed out minor details they said made it an Italian copy. Interesting.

·
10,379 Posts
I saw that episode. The seller kept insisting the dragoon was authentic, but the two experts pointed out minor details they said made it an Italian copy. Interesting.
Considering he ended up getting busted anyways, it would have been fanfreakingtastic if he'd have said "It is authentic! The exhibit sign at the museum I stole it from said it's a Dragoon!"

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Now thats funny. So the question remains, real or not?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
"What a bafoon" *Bugs Bunny voice*

Reactions: PCS01

·
Registered
87 Posts
So either:

1. The museum was wrong
2. The museum was lying
3. The museum has the REAL one tucked away and is committing insurance fraud

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Not only did I see the show in question - today, at my LGS, I saw something that mighthave been called "The Complete Book of Gun Values" (not really sure of the exact title).
Big, thick book and the picture of one of those "firearms experts" filled the front cover.

Sorry. Not a lot of confidence at the moment.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I saw the show. The guy said that the gun had been in his family for many years.

·
Super Moderator
13,773 Posts
i saw the episode the Dragoon was real, it was a Colt Walker 1847 that was a replica.
Yep, you're right...I stand corrected. One of the drawbacks of a memory going from middle aged to the next stage :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts