Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used, two mags $360. Looks good, feels good. Doing research now. alum alloy frame and steel
slide... W/decocker

DA/SA

trigger and reset seem nice

any thoughts?

Caliber: .45 ACP
Barrel: 3.7 inches
Overall Length: 7 inches
Weight (unloaded):32 ounces
Grips: Black synthetic
Sights: 3-dot.
Action: DA/SA
Finish: Matte Matte black
Capacity: 9

·
22,304 Posts
Well, since you asked, the slide-mounted safety would make it a no-go for me. There are too many good choices these days to put up with ergonomics that bad.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Slide mounted safeties are no gos for me. I don't mind them for range toys but for self defense there is too much a chance to engage the safety when clearing malfunction. I have done it on a beretta m9 and it does not make me feel good. Or safe.

The grip looks big for an 8 round capacity. I would rather get a ruger sr45

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Slide mounted safeties are no gos for me. I don't mind them for range toys but for self defense there is too much a chance to engage the safety when clearing malfunction. I have done it on a beretta m9 and it does not make me feel good. Or safe.

The grip looks big for an 8 round capacity. I would rather get a ruger sr45
i owned the sr45 for a while and it didn't fit me... The feel of this gun is close to the cz75 - (fatter grips) which i like

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Welcome to the cougar 8045 owners. My wife and I actually take turns shooting mine. I personally have zero issue with the slide safety in fact I find it faster to use than a frame mounted one.

Reactions: SixFalls

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I don't know the value of a used one but I wouldn't at all mind having one. I have a lot of practice with the frame mounted safety, PX4, so that's no concern to me.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Awesome gun. I'd buy it for that. :cool:

·
Registered
36,318 Posts
Welcome to the cougar 8045 owners. My wife and I actually take turns shooting mine. I personally have zero issue with the slide safety in fact I find it faster to use than a frame mounted one.
and, like all Cougars decock the weapon disengage the safety and carry it DA. then the slide mounted safety isn't an issue.
I have the 9 MM and its a dream to shoot it, Its a heavy weapon by todays standards but mine is a tack driver.
the thing that I really dislike about the 45 acp version is that Beretta (stoeger) made all cougars with the same size grip, so capacity is reduced in the 45 to the point its a1911 .
and the 1911 is /can be both shorter/ lighter and has that sweet single action trigger.
the Beretta/Stoegers are shooters though no doubt.
they sale here new for the 425 area typically.

Reactions: leftcoastrebel

·
Registered
36,318 Posts
I don't know the value of a used one but I wouldn't at all mind having one. I have a lot of practice with the frame mounted safety, PX4, so that's no concern to me.
the Cougar is a metal framed PX4 for all basic thoughts.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Looks good to me. Let us know what you decide.

·
22,304 Posts
and, like all Cougars decock the weapon disengage the safety and carry it DA.

{snip}

the 1911 is /can be both shorter/ lighter and has that sweet single action trigger.
Funny, you never hear anyone talk about a "sweet DA/SA trigger." :rolleyes: I like trigger consistency.

·
Registered
36,318 Posts
How many malfunction drills have you practiced? The safety can still be swiped on.
Typically several , during a practice session, same with Tactical magazine changes.
I do this typically while I am chewing gum too!
so not a lot of problem with me personally.
also have a Beretta PX4SC that was my carry for about 2 years, same gun, smaller slide.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Used to want one bad, very comfortable in the hand, sturdy and the rotating barrel is nice.
I was on the hunt for a newer 9mm model with the rail (only 45's always had a rail) but never found one.
Started wanting a 45 but could not find a good price.

It's a gun you have to really want, as it is outclassed in many ways by more modern offerings. You have the same with poly lower PX4, you have a slew of options for higher capacity, many options are lighter, etc.

The price I set on finding one is around the $300 mark, $360 is high to me, the 9mm version is $357 new on Buds.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I love my Beretta Cougar 8045, which is basically the same gun. Beretta moved their equipment for making Cougars and now produce them under the Stoeger name. I have 4 cougars, two 8040 minis, and standard 8040, and the 8045. I love the ergonomics of them, including the slide-mounted safety, which is pretty much standard for Berettas. The price is probably OK. It seems that the .45's run a little more than the 9mm's or .40's.

If it's DA/SA with a decocker, it's probably the 8045F, which is the configuration I have for all of my Cougars, as well as my Beretta 96A1. There are different versions, including DAO, decocker-only (no safety), etc. I definitely like the F configuration best.

If you're serious about it, I would recommend visiting the Beretta forum, which you can find here: Beretta Handguns - Beretta Forum

1 - 20 of 29 Posts