1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I do not reload this is why i came to the factory loads
Questions....
1) what is your ratio for stocking up on from fmj : jhp
2) what brands have you not had ANY hiccups with that r fmj?

I'm runnin 9mm ' s
Taurus pt92
Glock 19
Beretta px4 storm

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I'm also interested to see what people are stocking up on, and what kind. I have 6 boxes of Tula 9mm ( was on sale ) not the best stuff but my PT92 eats them.

·
Super Moderator
40,412 Posts
It all depends on your shooting habits. I would say figure out how much you shoot and build up at least a 2 year supply, 3 year would be better.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Stocking up (always) on what is on sale and available for all calibers that I shoot, and some that I do not for trade goods.

Reactions: flahotrod

·
Administrator
39,379 Posts
I am a reloader, but I don't reload .40 cal., which I carry and .223 or 5.56. Also .22 LR when I can find it. Always watching for these, and keep a stock.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
My PX4 ran any and all ammo I used in it from S&B and PMC for FMJ. A handful of different brands of HPs, Hornady, Remington, whatever. Now it gets fed all reloads whether FMJ or HP.

As for stocking up, I'm working on gathering as much components as I can. That and .22lr.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All my handguns seem to eat ANYTHING, but I want something good you know
My FFL always preaches winchester, he says fiocchi is a toss up because they aren't always reliable in the way they load u heir cartridges.
My uncle a Oakland cop says, Italians make good pizzas and women not cartridges lol
That's besides the point

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
For FMJ's, get the cheapest brass cased ammo that you can. a good ratio to strive for is 4 or 5:1 FMJ:HP. Just make sure that your target ammo is the same weight as your SD ammo. If you're running 124 gr SD ammo, get 124 gr FMJ's.
You also stated that you don't reload and that's ok.... for now. Save your brass and pick up as much as you can. Somewhere down the road, empty brass will be a form of currency. These days everybody and their brother is shooting the snot out of .223/5.56. I just ordered 1000 rounds of sized and cleaned brass for 70 bucks. I've seen it as high as 150 bucks/1000. If you're not saving your "pennies" the dollars wont save themselves and you're paying the range you shoot at even more by leaving your brass. Also consider you might someday decide to reload. It would be a shame if you blow through 2-3000 rounds of ammo, then decide to start collecting brass to reload and have to pay someone for it.
I personally reload for cost savings (after the initial price raping for equipment) and because it's fun to do on quiet nights. Case in point... I recently got a Pietta Single Action army revolver in 45LC. I bought 1 box of SD rounds (25 ct) for 25 bucks and 2 boxes of plinking rounds at 32 bucks a box. So per hundred, the SD rounds cost me 100 bucks, the target rounds cost 64 bucks. so 164 bucks for 200 rounds. I bought the die set for 30 bucks and 200 brand new starline brass for 22 bucks each. I cast my own bullets so the mold was a christmas present and I get the wheel weights free. my Initial cost to make up 200 rounds is 44 plus 30 plus 6 for primers and probably 6 bucks for powder. The cost is 86 bucks for 200 rounds as opposed to the 164 for 200. My costs can only go down as I keep my brass so next go around will be about 12 bucks for 200 rounds. I can get 100 SD bullets for about 20-25 bucks so even on the outside pricing of 200 SD rounds I'm reloading them for 62 bucks instead of 200. 138 bucks is more than my press cost me. So start saving your brass..... Today

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For FMJ's, get the cheapest brass cased ammo that you can. a good ratio to strive for is 4 or 5:1 FMJ:HP. Just make sure that your target ammo is the same weight as your SD ammo. If you're running 124 gr SD ammo, get 124 gr FMJ's.
You also stated that you don't reload and that's ok.... for now. Save your brass and pick up as much as you can. Somewhere down the road, empty brass will be a form of currency. These days everybody and their brother is shooting the snot out of .223/5.56. I just ordered 1000 rounds of sized and cleaned brass for 70 bucks. I've seen it as high as 150 bucks/1000. If you're not saving your "pennies" the dollars wont save themselves and you're paying the range you shoot at even more by leaving your brass. Also consider you might someday decide to reload. It would be a shame if you blow through 2-3000 rounds of ammo, then decide to start collecting brass to reload and have to pay someone for it.
I personally reload for cost savings (after the initial price raping for equipment) and because it's fun to do on quiet nights. Case in point... I recently got a Pietta Single Action army revolver in 45LC. I bought 1 box of SD rounds (25 ct) for 25 bucks and 2 boxes of plinking rounds at 32 bucks a box. So per hundred, the SD rounds cost me 100 bucks, the target rounds cost 64 bucks. so 164 bucks for 200 rounds. I bought the die set for 30 bucks and 200 brand new starline brass for 22 bucks each. I cast my own bullets so the mold was a christmas present and I get the wheel weights free. my Initial cost to make up 200 rounds is 44 plus 30 plus 6 for primers and probably 6 bucks for powder. The cost is 86 bucks for 200 rounds as opposed to the 164 for 200. My costs can only go down as I keep my brass so next go around will be about 12 bucks for 200 rounds. I can get 100 SD bullets for about 20-25 bucks so even on the outside pricing of 200 SD rounds I'm reloading them for 62 bucks instead of 200. 138 bucks is more than my press cost me. So start saving your brass..... Today
And I was just at the range today! Smh didn't collect anything an older gentleman was tho!

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
I like the Armscor brass for reloading, what I have shot of it seems to be good stuff. If I were buying in bulk to stock up Surplus Arms and Ammo has good deals on remanufactured ammo.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
Ford, Chevy, Chrysler!
what ever brand of auto that you think is best is what you should drive to buy what ever brand of ammo that you think is best.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I've had great luck with Freedommunitions new ammo in 40s&w. Just wait for a free shipping special and stock up.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I don't reload..
I try to keep 2k of practice ammo 124FMJ and 500 Speer Gold Dot LE 124JHP for SD (9mm)
For my 30cal carbine pistol I keep 500+ FMJ and 140+ XTPs.
22LR as much as I can find reasonably priced..

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
It all depends on your shooting habits. I would say figure out how much you shoot and build up at least a 2 year supply, 3 year would be better.
Also a way not to break the bank is get a box or two when in the store getting other things. Every now and then, order more from an online store as you can get bulk discounts no taxes or free shipping (bulking on a budget meaning 250 - 600 rounds unless you got it like that). You'll be surprised the amount you'll have. :)

·
Super Moderator
40,412 Posts
Also a way not to break the bank is get a box or two when in the store getting other things. Every now and then, order more from an online store as you can get bulk discounts no taxes or free shipping (bulking on a budget meaning 250 - 600 rounds unless you got it like that). You'll be surprised the amount you'll have. :)
I always followed the shoot 1 box buy 2 box rule. This made stocking up easy on the pocket book. Now that I reload I have taken a different approach. Have to buy in bulk to offset that shipping.

Reactions: darbo
1 - 20 of 39 Posts