Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not trying to get political with this one but ive read alot on people panic buying and stock piling massive amouts of ammo.
now as im sure everyone whos not living under a rock knows that ammo is pretty expensive right now. and its also scarce and the reason is panic buying and supply and damand which aslo keeps prices high.
copper, brass and other metals are at like a 5 yr low in price so ammo manufacturing costs should be low making prices drop.
with this in mind and also thinking about the current "2nd amendment fears" i guess my question i am trying to get at is what is everyones opinion on stocking up on mass amounts of bullets solly out of fear?
what if you spend all this money on ammo and it drops in price and supply comes back?
me persoaly, i always have a bunch of ammo stocked up for goin to the range and i myself have gone out and bought alot of this expensive ammo just to insure i have some when i want to go out and shoot.
but if everyone calmed down wouldnt prices drop too?
like i said in the very begining im tryin to stay away from politics with this one as much as possible but i know its a tuff subject not too

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I don't buy expensive ammo. When I see 9mm on sale for $10 a box of 50 I buy a couple of boxes. I figure I'm going to use it eventually and it keeps for decades. Right or wrong I have been caught up in the guns and ammo panic.

·
Registered
968 Posts
if the demand would drop, the price would drop as the retail stores kept getting larger stocks with people not paying the higher price. However, with all the crap Bama is promising, I don't think the scare will end for a long time.

·
Registered
31,687 Posts
The stocks of guns and ammo prior to the election, took a long time to build just on a normal buying pattern basis as with normal production. While manufacturers may be working longer shifts....none of them would invest in additional assembly lines...with the political road ahead. It would take only a few months with 10% additional guns and ammo being bought to get to the clearing of the shelves we currently have. December alone showed about a 30% increase. Don't look for things to improve. Other than the economy continuing going south and folks just no longer being able to buy.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Even if nothing else changes, within a few months people should at least be "fully stocked" on ammo. Most people seem to stop around 1k rounds.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I hit my goal of 1000 rds of 9mm yesterday. I'm not really stockpileing the other calibers I shoot.

·
Registered
31,687 Posts
scwilli said:
Even if nothing else changes, within a few months people should at least be "fully stocked" on ammo. Most people seem to stop around 1k rounds.
That was what I was expecting the middle of January. Now I think the folks who can afford to will continue to buy till they either have way more than that or there are political changes in ammo purchases. Our fears on ammo taxes and serializing of ammo will come to pass if the Dems are not put in check. The 40 Republican folks in the senate are all that stand able to keep that from happening. I hope they stand tall.

·
Super Moderator
21,438 Posts
At 1K we either live to fight another day or its over with. But it will be a hell of a fight :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Personally my goal is 2k AR, 1.5k .45, and 500 .270

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
scwilli, You have a real smart choice of weapons. If a red dawn sitution broke out you'd be ready. I just bought a bunch of handguns when I should have got a few rifles too.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I want a shotty next after I fill out the other needs i have. Didn't specifically plan my weapons out for long, medium, and close, but it was in the back of my head.

·
Registered
31,687 Posts
45 Forever said:
At 1K we either live to fight another day or its over with. But it will be a hell of a fight :)
People don't buy ammo only for their SHTF stash, they also buy it for future pleasure shooting. When oil started going up about 4 years ago...I started buying becasue I remembered the late 70's when the price of oil started up and ammo also did. I bought extra ammo in those days too. I remember ammo stabilizing after that oil crisis, and ammo being "on sale"....but never ammo prices dropping. My stash was in good shape before the election, and 22's have been the main thing and a little more centerfire since. I'm glad I added to the .22s when I did as the bulk boxes have disappeared.

·
Registered
31,687 Posts
Petrie said:
scwilli, You have a real smart choice of weapons. If a red dawn sitution broke out you'd be ready. I just bought a bunch of handguns when I should have got a few rifles too.
The military issues a lot more rifles than pistols....they have valid reasons.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
This goes back to the rifle/pistol ammo ratio Jakes question posed. If I though the world was ending I'd want an ar-15 and a 9mm pistol and a s-load of ammo for each.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Or plan ahead, and get an MP-5 or other 9mm chambered long arm, and a 9mm pistol. Then you only worry about one calibur.

·
Super Moderator
35,500 Posts
Cabelas is advertising shotty shells on sale now, demand is down. I have to think that a lot of folks bought handguns before the election and since and have been stocking up on ammo and practicing at the range (part of my theory is because the ranges are so jammed up). I predict that within a couple of months the thrill will be gone for a lot of them and they will get tired of paying the price of ammo/range time. Ammo price/supply will moderate and then 12-16 months from then we will see slightly used firearms hit the market. I am really hoping for the last part because I want to add to my collection!

·
Super Moderator
35,500 Posts
Petrie said:
This goes back to the rifle/pistol ammo ratio Jakes question posed. If I though the world was ending I'd want an ar-15 and a 9mm pistol and a s-load of ammo for each.
I've been jonesing after a military carbine...looking at used Olympic Arms 223's on the web as they run around 700.00. Even that is probably a tad steep to get Mrs Czechbikr to subscribe to. Anybody have any good recommendations for a carbine which runs around 300.00? If the SHTF, I think that my 32 Winchester Model 94 will be hard to find ammo for.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts