Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of enduring at least some level of ridicule, I took the stock wood grips off my "new to me" S&W 66-1 and replaced them with a rubber Hogue MonoGrip. My other revolvers (2" EAA Windicator and 4" Taurus 66) both have rubber grips. I've toyed with the idea of wood grips for the Taurus but have decided that the OEM grip is just fine. RE: the S&W, the OEM wood grips are very nice AND pristine which is part of the reason to mount up the MonoGrip. Too many ways to damage that beautiful "furniture" even with careful handling. Anyway, after reading most of the reviews of the Hogue MonoGrip (especially the one star reviews), I decided that for ~$20 and change, I'd give the Hogue a shot. Most of the poor reviews focused on fit and ease of installation. I watched a couple of YouTube videos on installation and found it to be pretty straight forward. Slight struggle but in the end not that difficult and the fit seems to be perfect. No gaps, nice tight fit. Best of all, I think that the firearm feels better in my hand. It is a bit narrower than the OEM wood grip. To be sure, the 66-1 looks good with the MonoGrip. The "black on stainless" is ALWAYS a good look on a firearm (IMHO). I'm not here to say that the wood on metal (blued or SS) is ugly or that rubber grips always look great. The visual is only a small part of the picture. How a firearm fits and feels in the shooter's hand and if accuracy is improved are probably bigger issues.
So here are a couple of pics, before and after.

I won't disagree with anyone that says that the OEM wood grips scream "Class Act" but there's a lot to be said for the Hogue Monogrip!
Flex

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I like the Pachmayrs but don't care for the Hogues. It's mostly a finger-groove thing. They look big, but really they are tall and thin. The Pachmayrs feel more like the original grips, only in rubber of course. The Pachmayrs also cover the backstrap.

·
22,981 Posts
Appearance, no contest.

But the same is probably true of function, so...

·
8,902 Posts
Good choice and beautiful revolver. I took my S&W deluxe grips off both of my new Smith's, and put on Pacmayr's for shooting. Keeping those original grips in pristine condition will enhance the value of your revolver should you decide to let it go.

Reactions: CJS3

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the Pachmayrs but don't care for the Hogues. It's mostly a finger-groove thing. They look big, but really they are tall and thin. The Pachmayrs feel more like the original grips, only in rubber of course. The Pachmayrs also cover the backstrap.
To be sure, personal choice is always a factor. I like the finger grooves on both the Hogue and the Taurus OEM rubber grips so that wasn't a factor. RE: looking big, I agree but on a large framed revolver with a 6" barrel, it's all a matter of proportion;). Yes Pachmayrs do cover the back strap but the OEM wood grips on this S&W did not so it's kind of a wash there.
Flex

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Nice Roscoe for sure. Like you said, the coke bottles scream class act but would be hard to replace should something happen to them.

I've got a newer 686 that came with S&W/Hogue monogrips. I replaced the monogrip with ebay/thailand wood grips that are cheap enough to replace if something does happen. You might want to consider something like that to keep that classic look, or not, if the Hogues work out.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
That is a fine looking pistol either way but the wood really does look classy. If you're going to shoot it regularly then rubber. If not, then wood. Maybe as suggested above put a nice but inexpensive wood set on - a compromise but one that might be worthwhile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts