Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Maverick 88 security, took it out and fired about 20 rounds of slugs and buckshot and it shot and functioned great. However after cleaning and tightening the barrel nut back on, I noticed the stock moved slightly. This is a brand new gun and the stock is loose, could this be a defect or normal? what type screwdriver removes the pad, should I use blue loctite on the bolt and what size is the bolt in the stock? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
The pad on mine comes off with a #2 Philips and the bolt retaining stock I think takes either an 8 or 10mm hex key.
Blue or red Loctite should work equally well.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Not uncommon for a stock to be a tad loose when bought brand new. The manufacturing process does not torque them on too tightly in the interest of not stripping anything and getting more of them out the door. Easy enough fix. Phillips head screwdriver to remove the rubber pad and a hex of some size to remove the stock. Blue Loctite is not necessary but can be used. We would recommend you avoid Red Loctite if you ever want to get that stock off for replacement or upgrading.

·
Super Moderator
15,042 Posts
If you feel a need to secure the bolt, I recommend installing a lock washer under the bolt head instead of Loctite on the threads. One of the corollaries to Murphy's Law states that the more you secure an object, the odds of having to remove it increase proportionately. Trust me on this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts