Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read mixed opinions about shooting Stingers in the PT22 & TX22.
Will any undo wear or damage result in using these in moderation?
I plan to have Stingers in the PT22 for the lady of the house just in case.

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
I doubt they'd cause any damage, I'd shoot them as long as they were reliable, which can be a problem in any rimfire gun.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've read mixed opinions about shooting Stingers in the PT22 & TX22.
Will any undo wear or damage result in using these in moderation?
I plan to have Stingers in the PT22 for the lady of the house just in case.
Why are you thinking they'd cause damage? There's no reason that they would. I've got a PT22 (original, not the poly one) and have exclusively run Stingers through it. No issues, I haven't damaged anything but the targets. They've also proven to be reliable with everyone going bang over the last decade and few thousand rounds. Honestly, it's the other brands like Winchester and Remington that I'd never use.

And seriously.... doesn't "the lady of the house" deserve something better than .22lr?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Point taken.

She doesn't like the recoil of larger caliber.
I figure a 22 is better than a knitting needle........................

·
Registered
38 Posts
Point taken.

She doesn't like the recoil of larger caliber.
I figure a 22 is better than a knitting needle........................
Indeed it is. I'd go with the Stingers. I've carried my PT22 on occasion due to the size and due to liking it a little too much. The CCI Stinger and CCI Velocitor are both rounds I've found to be reliable compared to other 22lr offerings.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Why are you thinking they'd cause damage? There's no reason that they would. I've got a PT22 (original, not the poly one) and have exclusively run Stingers through it. No issues, I haven't damaged anything but the targets. They've also proven to be reliable with everyone going bang over the last decade and few thousand rounds. Honestly, it's the other brands like Winchester and Remington that I'd never use.

And seriously.... doesn't "the lady of the house" deserve something better than .22lr?
I think the main reason is the manual (at least in mine) says not to use Hyper ammo in the PT-22. Only high velocity or below, etc. The fastest I have tried has been the Mini-Mags and I still need to figure out if the gun likes them or I am just that bad of a shot...

·
32,527 Posts
The PT-22 and kin do have a history in manuals that say not to use hypervelocity ammo in them. High velocity rounds are what the PT22 and kin are to use.

However the TX22 is a lot larger pistol and able to handle the hypervelocity rounds. Nowhere in the TX-22 manual does is specify hypervelocity rounds are not to be used. I've read it all the way through. If you want to be totally sure of using Stingers and such rounds call Taurus USA at
Call Us:(800) 327-3776
Hours:Monday- Friday 8:00AM to 8:00PM (EST) and ask them.

·
32,527 Posts
Qwiks draw
You hit the nail on the head, olfarhors. Here's info from another thread related to this one.
All of my PT-22s and PLY-22 came with and have a clear plastic with red print on it strip in the box. Not all who have these have reported this but it is a normal warning in most PT22 boxes. What it says is that hyper velocity ammo is not supposed to be used in the PT22.

I have one 1986 produced PT-22 and the other is just a few years old. The new PLY22 is this years model.

Too high a velocity will batter the gun and it's small parts. Accelerated wear and tear of that kind will and can eventually ruin the gun.

Back in the day, many, many moons ago, I did shoot a few CCI Stingers out of my PT22 before seeing the warning (there are goood reasons to fully read the owner manual) in the box.

The slide opened too soon and some flame and burning gases (very little) came out of the ejection port. I as always was wearing my safety glasses and hearing protection and was not hurt in any way. The idea is that the slide is supposed to stay closed until the bullet leaves the barrel and pressures are at a safe level for the slide to work backward. Hyper-velocity ammo overrides that. I am lucky worse did not happen. I was one lucky puppy.

It's like hitting one's head with a hammer. It feels so good when one stops.

ALL of the gun producers who've made and make mini-pistols in .22lrf deal with this. Most if not all mini-.22s are designed to use standard or high velocity ammo. The companies CANNOT design a mini-gun that functions with ALL .22lrf ammo. The LAWS of Physics and reality say no to that.

Boxes of appropriate ammo for the PT-22 and kin say standard pressure OR high velocity on the packaging somewhere.

The 1200 feet per second ballpark figure is what to go with for max velocity.

The old PT-22 manual states that 1220 fps was the way to go. That was as high as anyone was supposed to go. There is no +P designation for .22lrf ammo. Just standard, high velocity, and hyper-velocity. The new manual leaves something to be desired. It needs updating or clarification on the .22lrf ammo.

Correction: page7b
Scroll down the page to Taurus PT22 & PT25. Then download the manual.

It says in the manual, old one, but some things do not change over time, that is at 1280fps. Page 11 has that.

ALL of the hyper velocity ammo cannot be listed as things change to often or fast. Some loads have even gone off the market in the past. If you stay with HIGH VELOCITY or STANDARD VELOCITY written on the .22lrf boxes then you should

Folks. Do not use hypervelocity
ammo
in the PT-22 please. If the manual says nothing chances are that the box which the PT-22 came in has that written somewhere on info that is in the box. All of mine did and do. I even have a new PLY-22 that has it was well. There is a piece of paper on which it was written in very fire engine red print.

If you have doubt then call Taurus Customer Service number at 1-800-327-3776 and verify this.
Taurus have updated the PT22 PT25 - The Firearm Blog

I have CCI Mini-Mag hollow points in my PT-22s and kin.

There is this.

All of my PT-22s and PLY-22 came with and have a clear plastic with red print on it strip in the box. Not all who have these have reported this but it is a normal warning in most PT22 boxes. What it says is that hyper velocity ammo is not supposed to be used in the PT22.

I have one 1986 produced PT-22 and the other is just a few years old. The new PLY22 is this years model.

Too high a velocity will batter the gun and it's small parts. Accelerated wear and tear of that kind will and can eventually ruin the gun.

Back in the day, many, many moons ago, I did shoot a few CCI Stingers out of my PT22 before seeing the warning (there are goood reasons to fully read the owner manual) in the box.

The slide opened too soon and some flame and burning gases (very little) came out of the ejection port. I as always was wearing my safety glasses and hearing protection and was not hurt in any way. The idea is that the slide is supposed to stay closed until the bullet leaves the barrel and pressures are at a safe level for the slide to work backward. Hyper-velocity ammo overrides that. I am lucky worse did not happen. I was one lucky puppy.

It's like hitting one's head with a hammer. It feels so good when one stops.

ALL of the gun producers who've made and make mini-pistols in .22lrf deal with this. Most if not all mini-.22s are designed to use standard or high velocity ammo. The companies CANNOT design a mini-gun that functions with ALL .22lrf ammo. The LAWS of Physics and reality say no to that.

Boxes of appropriate ammo for the PT-22 and kin say standard pressure OR high velocity on the packaging somewhere.

The 1200 feet per second ballpark figure is what to go with for max velocity.

·
Registered
38 Posts
re: Hyper Velocity vs. High Velocity .22lr

My manual (and this one here) state not to use ammo with a 1280 fps or higher muzzle velocity.

From the CCI website:

- Velocitors have a muzzle velocity of 1435 fps
- Stingers have a muzzle velocity of 1640 fps

The thing here to consider is that those muzzle velocities are measured coming out of the muzzle or a .22lr rifle. The 2.75" barrel of a PT22 is a far cry from the 16 1/8" - 20" barrel of a rifle. The Stinger and Velocitor do not approach 1280 fps coming out of the much shorter barrel of a PT22.

Also, carrying this ammo is not the same as practicing with it every day. The difference between a standard .22lr and a hyper velocity .22lr is going to be minimal in the hand. Most shooters won't even notice much of a difference, assuming they're feeling the recoil at all. So practicing with a lower ammo and carrying a higher pressure one isn't going to effect the shooter's accuracy or experience.

After 3000+ rounds of Stinger through my PT22, it still works and acts the same as it always has. While I don't own a chrono, there are plenty of vids online showing that Stingers and Velocitors out of a 3" barrel don't cross the 1100 fps threshold and are usually much less; while high/regular velocity rounds usually don't cross 1000 fps and seem to average about 940 fps.

Use whichever ammo you think is best for you. But trying to take ammo specs from a rifle and saying that's what they're going to be on a subcompact is just silly. They're apples and oranges.

·
Registered
521 Posts
True, however, isn’t the issue pressure not velocity? I don’t know, which is why I am asking. Even though one may not be getting the velocity of a rifle, isn’t the pressure curve just as damaging?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The pressure build up in a short barrel isn't nearly as much as the pressure build up in a longer barrel. If you've got a 3" barrel it's venting pressure 6x quicker than a rifle with an 18" barrel as it's 6x smaller. In other words, an 18" barrel will allow a round to build up to full pressure while with a 3" short barrel it is physically impossible. This is why rounds are slower out of a shorter barrel; the pressure isn't able to build up as much as it does in a longer barrel. The velocity is lower because the pressure pushing it, is lower.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts