Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a previous thread about 709 ejection problems. I thought it was fixed when I got it back from the factory, but I figured out that it only works with 124 gr bullets. All brands of 115 gr still have failures, some brands more than others. Certainly not nearly reliable enough for CC. Furthermore, they replaced the barrel, and now I can't get it out when I field strip. Accuracy is also still poor. Given the variety of reports on this site, I have to think that their quality control is just not very tight. I have no such problems with any other handgun, including other taurus products. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I feel for you. I had a 709 that seemed to be my problem child. Many forum members have had great luck with theirs, with some pretty high round counts and zero problems. Mine had chronic extraction problems. I ordered an extractor + extractor spring and pin from Taurus, then went to work tuning the originals. I also polished the the chamber. Yes, Taurus has a lifetime warranty, but I have some smithing experience and there was about 4 feet of snow on the ground. Got it running great with all the ammo I tried, but a buddy of mine fell in love with it so it was adopted into a good home. They are nice little pistols but some have been known to act up. If I were in your shoes, I would keep sending it back until it comes back flawless. If Taurus gets sick of seeing it come back they may just replace it. From what you posted, you have other firearms to fill in while your 709 is a frequent flyer. I agree that it's frustrating to buy something that doesn't operate properly. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
This is a sincere suggestion, and not at all meant to make light of your dilemma, but...if the pistol functions 100% with 124 gr. ammo, that's what I'd buy / use and forget about the 115 grain ammo.

I have a 740 and can tell you that these Slim series pistols are really nice carry pistols because of their light weight, slim configuration, and concealability.

I started off using Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement ammo in my PT740 and have never felt the need to try anything else, because it functions 100% with this ammo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts