Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can steel cases be reloaded (i.e., Wolf)? Any extra steps or precautions?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pastor Paul:

Some of the Wolf steel cases are Boxer primed, so they "can" be reloaded, but my experience was dismal.

I reloaded some once-fired Wolf .45 ACP cases. I know they were once-fired, because I fired them. They actually reloaded without too much problem, although they were a little stiff in the sizing die. But one reload was all, because they promptly split upon the firing of the first reload. I have talked to others who have achieved two reloads per case.

It's not worth it. I don't suppose running steel cases in your dies is a great idea anyway.

dogfood

·
Administrator
17,592 Posts
dogfood said:
I don't suppose running steel cases in your dies is a great idea anyway.
Running Steel Cases thru your Carbide Sizer and Case Mouth Expander Dies WILL incur more wear on them, shortening their useful lifespan greatly. If you were to have to use Steel Cases for Reloading, I recommend Lubing the Steel Cases for Case Resizing and Case Mouth Expansion. Then you will have to clean the lube off of the processed Steel Cases before Priming, Powdering, and Bullet Seating.

In My Opinion, It's not worth your extra time or the extra wear and tear on your reloading equipment. Brass is still relatively plentiful, so stick to that!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ya, what they said! Stick to brass!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx guys. i was considering buying some and yet all the bad reporting on the net made me rethink. i decided i would if it could be reloaded. i'm not in the market anymore.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Don't mess with steel cases unless you have an unlimited budget for dies and forearms like Popeye. Besides, most Wolf is berdan and so you just busted your unbreakable Lee decapping pin, don't ask how I know this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You would be defeating the real purpose of steel cases...."to leave them laying on the ground".

·
Registered
34 Posts
The only real good reason for using steel cases is to use a magnet to collect them from the ground, and then discard them in the trash. I hate em, they're laquer coated and brass resizes so much easier anyway. Steel is way to hard to be abusing your dies with in the long run.

·
Administrator
17,592 Posts
The best way to re-use Steel Cases is to melt them down and recycle/make them into something else!

·
Administrator
39,376 Posts
Ditto for aluminum, because someone is soon to ask. Some is reloadable, but its much to brittle. Most fired cases will split on the first reload. :puke:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts