Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out at the range today and was shooting Russian Tulammo 38 spcl 130gr FMJ standard pressure rounds in my Taurus Model 85 all steel revolver. Went through 10 rounds and all shot fine, loaded next cylinder, and "bang" - went to pull the trigger on round #2 and the trigger wouldn't pull back and the cylinder wouldn't turn. Locked up tight. Cylinder wouldn't open either. Let it sit for about 20 minutes and then the chamber opened, 4 of the rounds fell free and the last wouldn't eject even using the ejector rod. Had to use a pen to knock it out. Upon inspection, the case was split to the point of light coming through. I can see no damage to the revolver at all, and now it cycles fine, but this is the last time I use this Russian crap to save a few $$$ in pistols. Sure, I'll keep using it in my AK and SKS, but it seems like this isn't an isolated thing with using it in revolvers; the steel swells and doesn't contract back like brass and I've found lots of other reports of split cases with this Tulammo 38 spcl.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've accumulated some (fortunately not a lot :eek:) TulAmmo over the years and have had issues with it. Not going to throw it away but the only firearms that I dare use it with are my HiPoints, my Yugo SKS and my Ishapore/Lee Enfield (.308). I guess that DOES say something about those firearms tho ;). Not going to even consider using any TulAmmo in any of my Taurus firearms.
Flex

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Cheap ammo.

That sort of thing is only one of the reasons I don't shoot steel case.

Reactions: mark7mod0 and Lomax

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I've had more trouble with .22's over the years than any Tula ammunition, and I think the last split I had was aluminum cases when they first started being prevalent in the local Pittsburgh area a few years back.

To be fair, I primarily use Tula steel cases in my Russian caliber firearms (7.62x54R, 7.62x39, 9x18 Mak). My "standard calibers" so to speak are generally only running brass shells. I've even run Tula Brass in the early days, didn't perform bad just didn't seem widely available at the time.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
35,365 Posts
I tried using steel case Federal and Tulammo and neither would feed in my 9s. I'll shoot 'em up in my 9mm Blackhawk and my Ruger P85 which feeds anything. I suspect they're hard on extractors which is not good on my Kel Tec. I've replaced the extractor on that firearm once. It's kinda weak. ANYway, steel expands and doesn't contract back like brass and is hard to extract. It doesn't even FEED, though, in my KT, not 100 percent.

As cheap as brass cased ammo is now days, I don't understand shooting steel or aluminum anyway. Neither can be reloaded. I used to like to shoot it because I didn't have to retrieve the brass, but as cheap as brass is now, so what? :D I usually spread a tarp and catch it, anyway. But, I rarely reload 9mm anymore. I can save a little by casting, but is it really worth it? :lol:

I shoot steel in my SKSs and my Radom 9x18 Mak.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
The only case rupture I have ever had was on a 9mm reman from Freedom Ammunition- it was Tula case.
From the location of the blow out, it was either fired in a Gluck when it happened or the brass used was shot through a Gluck prior to being acquired for reman.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I used steel ammo once in my Taurus PT738 380, and that was the last time. Had over 10 light primmer strikes and two that did not go off. I still have about 7 left, but the only place that allow that ammo to be shot is the outdoor ranges, none of the indoor ranges allow it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts