Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to get a 24/7 OSS in .40 about now, but see that the release date was pushed back 6 months or so. Having been keeping an eye on this forum, I seem to see quite a few problems with the 24/7 Pros.

1) Are the 24/7's really having problems? Or, is it the old "you only see the folks WITH problems on forums, the 99% who are happy don't post"? Not wanting to go without buying SOMETHING, I achieved a long time desire and snagged a CZ75B stainless. Going to the CZ forums you don't see nearly the number of negative posts as I'm seeing here.

2) Could working out the problems be the reason the OSS was delayed 6 months?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am not really sure about the OSS but i do have a 24/7 pro in the 40. cal. I absolutly love this gun but it jams alot. This makes me feel really uncomfterable. I just sent my magazines off to Taurus for them to replace them. I am hoping that this will fix the problem. If it dosent fix it I am not sure what to do. I would say go for it and I hope you have better luck than I did.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well i bought a 24/7 in .45 and my Glock and XD friends didnt like it untill they shot it, it is really smooth for a .45 even less recoil that Glock buddys .40 i had a problem the first time i shot it had primer hits but no fire but i cleaned it for about 30 min and found it was a cheap ammo problem (monarch) i now have about 350 rounds with not one hiccup and i like going to the range with it because no one seems to have them i guess there under the impression they are "JUNK" untill they start looking over at my box and see me having zero problems then they start asking me how it is and how i like it i have no problems supporting Taurus as a good med. cost gun there no Kimber or SIG but they dont cost but half the price i would say go for it

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have 200 rounds through mine and have had one mess up, and it was my own fault. I am trying a different ammo this Tuesday, and hope to put 100 rounds through it, see if a different ammo will mess anything up, so I will post results.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
No problems with any of my 24/7's and I have had them for a fairly long time with many rounds thru them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ESProctor1 said:
I am not really sure about the OSS but i do have a 24/7 pro in the 40. cal. I absolutly love this gun but it jams alot. This makes me feel really uncomfterable. I just sent my magazines off to Taurus for them to replace them. I am hoping that this will fix the problem. If it dosent fix it I am not sure what to do. I would say go for it and I hope you have better luck than I did.
I have a CZ97 .45 that had a host of problems too. The mag would simply fall out after a few shots (seems to be a known problem for that model gun). I had a number of nose dives. And, I had failures to go to battery. I sent the pistol back twice - first time for the mag problem, which they fixed by installing a new mag release mechanism. The second time, as best I can tell, they simply replaced the magazines. This fixed the nose dives, but not the failure to go to battery. Folks on their site recommended I reduce the OAL of my reloads, and I've had NO problems since.

So, I know what its like to have an unreliable pistol, and, while its turned out to be a very nice shooter, I'd prefer to start out with a fully debugged pistol rather than being the debugger. All told, the pistol spent 2 months of its first year in the shop - but, I'm happy now.

Regarding others thinking Taurus pistols are junk - I have a Model 66 .357 and a PT-99. Both are wonderful guns. I'd buy a PT-99 in .40 (don't remember what the proper model number is) in a heart beat if it had a decent magazine capacity. But, since it doesn't, that is where the 24/7 comes in (hopefully).

·
21,932 Posts
My 24/7 9MM LS has been flawless. I have run over 1k rnds through it with no problems. What I love most about it is it runs my competition reloads. I unboxed the gun, ran 50 factory bullets then loaded my reloads. No misfires yet. No mag drop problems either. I bought 3 spare mags and use them all during the course of a steel match and I have not noticed anything abnormal.

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
prickett said:
I have a CZ97 .45 that had a host of problems too. The mag would simply fall out after a few shots (seems to be a known problem for that model gun). I had a number of nose dives. And, I had failures to go to battery. I sent the pistol back twice - first time for the mag problem, which they fixed by installing a new mag release mechanism. The second time, as best I can tell, they simply replaced the magazines. This fixed the nose dives, but not the failure to go to battery. Folks on their site recommended I reduce the OAL of my reloads, and I've had NO problems since.

So, I know what its like to have an unreliable pistol, and, while its turned out to be a very nice shooter, I'd prefer to start out with a fully debugged pistol rather than being the debugger. All told, the pistol spent 2 months of its first year in the shop - but, I'm happy now.

Regarding others thinking Taurus pistols are junk - I have a Model 66 .357 and a PT-99. Both are wonderful guns. I'd buy a PT-99 in .40 (don't remember what the proper model number is) in a heart beat if it had a decent magazine capacity. But, since it doesn't, that is where the 24/7 comes in (hopefully).
The PT99 equivalent in .40 S&W is the PT101, which I believe, has an excellent reputation for reliability and accuracy.

As for the 24/7, my 9mm 24/7 has been excellent in reliability (no FTF's or FTF's ever) and feeds my reloads just fine! Accuracy has been stellar! I've only been a short term owner, bought it new 3 Months ago, but I don't expect it's performance to change. I have plans to add one in .45 ACP.

As for your CZ97, which uses magazines similar to both my .45 EAA Witnesses, I recommend and use, Wolff +10% Magazine Springs. Also, check to see if there is any front to back play in the Magazine well. If so, you may wish to install a stabilizing shim.

·
Registered
166 Posts
When I first bought my 24/7 Pro 9mm I was worried about the problems everyone had been having with their gun and made me wonder if I should have bought a Glock.

1150 rounds through it. No FTF no jams nothing but a great shooting pistol. I have shot 400 rounds though it without any cleaning. Shot it right out of the box with out cleaning 200 rounds with no issues. Its been such a good gun I am thinking about getting a MilPro instead of a glock 26.

Great gun. I have total faith in it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a couple of ftf in the first 300 rounds. Another 2000 rounds with 2 ftfs, one when a buddy shot the gun. I guess 4 or 5 in about 2500 rounds. I am ok with that as it appears to be seldom, and in my opinion, not necessarily the guns fault. I think the initial problem was the heavy packing grease. After it got cleaned out it fixed the problem. I have put different ammo through it as well as the cast bullets I now load myself. Shot 200 rounds through it yesterday without a hickup. On the other hand my beretta model 70 has never jamed in 25 years but I do not shoot it nearly as much.
Harry

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just shot 200 flawless rounds from my 24/7 C 9mm tonight. The trigger is really nice and the pistol is very accurate. I actually had to get used to the light trigger but it is very crisp and has a very short reset. Bottom line, 200 rounds within a 4" circle @ 22 ft. I think I really like the Taurus pistols. Now I just have to get a PT1911... ;)

By the way, 100 rounds were Bazer Brass and the other 100 rounds were Blazer aluminum. No problems at all.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Early on (at maybe 100 rounds) with my 24/7 Pro .45 I had two consecutive failures to eject that I can think of no explanation for. Since then it hasn't missed a beat with several kinds of ammo.

JimL

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jwc007 said:
As for your CZ97, which uses magazines similar to both my .45 EAA Witnesses, I recommend and use, Wolff +10% Magazine Springs. Also, check to see if there is any front to back play in the Magazine well. If so, you may wish to install a stabilizing shim.
I did buy the +10% springs. Thankfully, when they replaced the mags, the new ones worked like a charm. I've yet to take the springs out of their bag.

Like I said, the gun now shoots like a champ. I felt comfortable enough to buy another CZ - a CZ75B which has eaten all my reloads from day one without a hiccup. Its about to become my Steel gun, with me retiring my PT-99 to home defense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts