Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I have sent my 709 Slim back to Taurus twice for repairs and I'm starting to loose faith in this pistol. First time for a minor fix the slide wouldn't stay open after I emptied the mag. Second time because the mags kept falling out after every shot. I haven't even run three hundred rounds threw my Slim yet. I use the Slim as my carry weapon and can't afford any hiccups. Does anyone know of a better more dependable carry pistol from Taurus or any other gun manufacture? I own three Taurus pistols already so I wouldn't mind trying another brand. I would like the gun to be around the same size as a Slim and be chambered in no less than 9mm. Please let me have some suggestions on what you guys like and trust.

Attachments

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
It is a shame that you've lost confidence in your 709, as you have added a couple of really nice accessories to it.

I have the PT740 Slim, and so far have not had one moment's trouble with it.

Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
well the good news is that nowdays if you are looking for a pocket 380 or a sub compact 9 MM about everybody in the world makes one.
My preference and the one that I went with is a bit heavier, about the same length and height (maybe a tad less) but is a little thicker, mostly cause it holds 13 rounds of goodness in 9 MM.
course it don't come at a Taurus 709 price, but its accurate and dependable.
has adjustable grip sizes ( back straps), three dot hi -visibility sights, ambi safety, shoots like a dream- Beretta PX4 SC.

Attachments

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
So far I have sent my 709 Slim back to Taurus twice for repairs and I'm starting to loose faith in this pistol. First time for a minor fix the slide wouldn't stay open after I emptied the mag. Second time because the mags kept falling out after every shot. I haven't even run three hundred rounds threw my Slim yet. I use the Slim as my carry weapon and can't afford any hiccups. Does anyone know of a better more dependable carry pistol from Taurus or any other gun manufacture? I own three Taurus pistols already so I wouldn't mind trying another brand. I would like the gun to be around the same size as a Slim and be chambered in no less than 9mm. Please let me have some suggestions on what you guys like and trust.
Have you tried different mags to see if the problems were caused by the bad mags? I had similar problems with my PT145 when I bought it and after Taurus exchanged the mags for me, it's been great now. If you'd like to try a different make, I'd like to suggest the Ruger SR9c, SR40c and LC9.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I have a 709 that I have faith in. 500+ rds, no hiccup due to gun. I love it! However, since you are loosing faith........

I recently purchased a slightly used Ruger LC9 that is just as good if not better. It is sturdy, well built, accurate. I have only shot 100 rds in it with no issues,

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Taurus replaced the front sight on mine but other than that, I've not had any problems.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I have a 709 that I have faith in. 500+ rds, no hiccup due to gun. I love it! However, since you are loosing faith........

I recently purchased a slightly used Ruger LC9 that is just as good if not better. It is sturdy, well built, accurate. I have only shot 100 rds in it with no issues,
Yep, I also love the LC9 and I would get 1 in a heartbeat if Ruger had the KLC9.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I looked high and low for a slim compact 9mm with a decent trigger. I settled on the PT-111 Pro (Mil Pro), and its a little more bulky than the 709. But I have carried it for 3 years and to many range shootings - no issues. I just tried a Bersa 380, and it shot so well that I have began to carry it. Bersa also makes a Thunder 9mm Ultra Carry Pro. It may be a tad thicker that the 709, and it weighs 23 oz. I have talked to a few that carry it...and they like it. I can not vouch for the quality or reliability. But the Thunder 380 is one of the best handling and best shooting guns I have picked up. It may be worth looking at?

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I looked high and low for a slim compact 9mm with a decent trigger. I settled on the PT-111 Pro (Mil Pro), and its a little more bulky than the 709. But I have carried it for 3 years and to many range shootings - no issues. I just tried a Bersa 380, and it shot so well that I have began to carry it. Bersa also makes a Thunder 9mm Ultra Carry Pro. It may be a tad thicker that the 709, and it weighs 23 oz. I have talked to a few that carry it...and they like it. I can not vouch for the quality or reliability. But the Thunder 380 is one of the best handling and best shooting guns I have picked up. It may be worth looking at?
If I didn't see the 24/7 C in 9mm on sale at a price I couldn't resist, I would have bought the PT111 at that time. The PT24/7 C 9mm is also an excellent concealed carry gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a glock 26 and a sig p238, love them both. Had trigger work to lighten and shorten the reset on both. The glock can be a little too much to carry sometimes, but, man it shoots like a dream. I am in a wheelchair and usually carry at 4 O'clock. My sig is my primary carry. I just bought a used 709 slim, cant wait to shoot that.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Yep, I also love the LC9 and I would get 1 in a heartbeat if Ruger had the KLC9.

In a different forum, there was a photo of an alleged prototype of a KLC9. According to blog postings in that forum, a stainless LC9 was one of the most requested weapons in a blog asking "What would you like to see Ruger make?"

I have both an LC9 and a PT709 Stainless, and have carried both extensively. Both have been extremely reliable. My only issue with the LC9 is that I had some light rust on the slide, despite cleaning and oiling, eventually resolved with EEZOX.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
In a different forum, there was a photo of an alleged prototype of a KLC9. According to blog postings in that forum, a stainless LC9 was one of the most requested weapons in a blog asking "What would you like to see Ruger make?"

I have both an LC9 and a PT709 Stainless, and have carried both extensively. Both have been extremely reliable. My only issue with the LC9 is that I had some light rust on the slide, despite cleaning and oiling, eventually resolved with EEZOX.
Yep, that's the reason I wanted a stainless LC9. When I filled out the questionaire by Ruger last year, I told them I'd like to see the stainless version of the LC9 as well. I also applied a thin layer of EEZOX on the slides of my pistols every month.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recently had the same magazine issue with mine! The mag release had a crack in it. The gun was brand new out of the box and I put about 60 rounds down range.....Finally got it back but haven't got to shoot it yet

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That must be a common issue for the Slim other people have complained abut the same thing in their reviews on the internet. I took my slim too a pawn guy to see what it was worth to him and he only offered me 380.00 for it. I'm only getting that much because of the laser on it. Its hard for me to let it go because I love the gun and when its functioning right its a perfect selfdefense weapon. I might let him have it and kick in 150.00 bucks and get a Glock or a Beretta both of those have good reputations.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for the help I'm tossing the idea around about trading the Slim for a Glock or a Beretta. Its hard to let my Slim go because I love the gun but I cant afford to keep having issues with it being it is my carry gun.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts