Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a novice, I have reloaded for over twenty years. Casted for about half of that.

After being divorced, I got out of local shoots and reloading and casting. Got back into shooting with son and sticking to 38s for reloading, I shoot 9mm and 380, but 9mm is cheap enough and I don’t like chasing brass from bottom feeders.

We shoot twice a week, my snubbies and his GP100. Got ALOT of brass saved up. So it’s time to get back into reloading.

If you was starting over, what would you get? I have some ideas, I have had Dillon Square Deals and 550s. I have had Lee Classic Casts and Turrets. I’m LEANING towards the Redding T7, but open minded. I am using the Lee Losder now to keep me in self defense ammo! But it gets old quick! LOL

The loads I’m going to be loading are both for the 148gr WC, both soft and coated. One would be for targets, the other is for carry. Big fan of the 148g DEWCr +p self defense ammo. Both of my loads seem to be good for my snubbies and his GP100.

So so looking for suggestions before I head out to the webs to search. I have had the Lee Classic Turret, but never really warmed up to them. I found myself ALWAYS adjusting the dies while reloading. Too much play for me.

Lefty

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I was in that same boat recently when I came back to shooting and reloading. So having a previous background and knowing tat I would only be loading for pistols I knew right off that a single stage press wasn't the answer. Which of course brought me to the Turrets and progressives. I looked at them all. Determined what it was I really needed to produce on a monthly or annual basis, Determine how much time I wanted to invest in this at any one time, and then a reasonable budget as I didn't want to buy more press than I really needed just as I didn't want to purchase a press that would restrict my efforts.

I could have bought any press on the market but again knew a Dillon 650 was as much overkill for me as a single stage was a bottleneck. I also knew from the past that these things are near impossible to wear out and that there was a plentiful used market. At first I was looking at Lyman Spar-T and Lee Turrets until I found a complete Lee Pro1000 for under $100.00 shipped. Yes I was also looking at the Dillon SDB and the 550. The Lee Pro1000 has been a good fit for me and has worked well and yes I understand this press does not do that for everyone. I can only speak to my own experience. I now also have a new Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro progressive press which I think will be a nice intermediate press for many in the same use position as I am in.

And do agree with the crowd that if you need to turn out 500+ rounds per month, every month then spend the money on one that will fill that requirement. Whether it be a Dillon or a Hornady.

Reactions: Lefty_Red

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one Pro 1000, set up for 44spec SWC for a Tracker 44 I had, and never had a minutes problem with it. I did deprimed, resize and prime off the press, but I did that for all of my loads. I had a Classic Cast with a Hornady LNL bushing in it for quick caliber changes, you just have to set the Pro 1000 up and leave it! LOL. But that is my experience with most progressives. So I just flared w/powder drop, seated, and then crimped on the Pro 1000.

I didn’t state this in my original posts, and it a very important detail for those trying to suggest a press, was my round count per month. I will say around 200-300 a month. Sure I will shoot more in the summer and nice weather at the outside range. Less at the inside range. But I can always reload when bored in the winter! So time isn’t a major issue with me.

I someone will same I might expand into other cabinets, and I might go to a 327/32 snubbie if the feeling hits. But that is about it, my hands can’t take the recoil of the big 44s/45s I use to shoot. And I’m more in line of just relaxing and staying with the 38 for a bit.

Been looking at the Redding T7, but don’t know. I would use it as a multi stationed single stage more than anything. So don’t know it it’s worth the cost. I’m not against spending money for a quality press. For the price of 5he T7, I could add $100 and get a Square Deal set up and just run it once a month or so. Just was wondering if their is something out there different.

Lefty

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
No idea what issue is causing you to constantly need to adjust your dies on a Lee Turret press for 9mm or .38SPL....

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have one Pro 1000, set up for 44spec SWC for a Tracker 44 I had, and never had a minutes problem with it. I did deprimed, resize and prime off the press, but I did that for all of my loads. I had a Classic Cast with a Hornady LNL bushing in it for quick caliber changes, you just have to set the Pro 1000 up and leave it! LOL. But that is my experience with most progressives. So I just flared w/powder drop, seated, and then crimped on the Pro 1000.

I didn’t state this in my original posts, and it a very important detail for those trying to suggest a press, was my round count per month. I will say around 200-300 a month. Sure I will shoot more in the summer and nice weather at the outside range. Less at the inside range. But I can always reload when bored in the winter! So time isn’t a major issue with me.

I someone will same I might expand into other cabinets, and I might go to a 327/32 snubbie if the feeling hits. But that is about it, my hands can’t take the recoil of the big 44s/45s I use to shoot. And I’m more in line of just relaxing and staying with the 38 for a bit.

Been looking at the Redding T7, but don’t know. I would use it as a multi stationed single stage more than anything. So don’t know it it’s worth the cost. I’m not against spending money for a quality press. For the price of 5he T7, I could add $100 and get a Square Deal set up and just run it once a month or so. Just was wondering if their is something out there different.

Lefty
I am a REDDING fan. I won't buy cheaper dies. I have a Boss SS that's simply excellent, but I load handgun with the Classic Turret. The problem with older style turret presses made by REDDING, Lyman and RCBS is that their only real advantage is being able to leave dies set up in the Turret. I don't auto-index with my Classic Turret and have found that manually indexing can be just as fast. The reason I do this is because I don't care anything for any LEE Powder Measure and I've tried most of them. My RCBS Uniflow and the auto-charging system are a good bit heavier and would eat LEE's plastic parts in short order. I don't have any desire or need to load faster. I'd really like to see the better quality press makers give us more practical turret presses for loading with 4 stations.;)

Reactions: Lefty_Red

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No idea what issue is causing you to constantly need to adjust your dies on a Lee Turret press for 9mm or .38SPL....
the slop in the Classic Turrets head. I would have to adjust or re press the station in the seating or crimp station to get a proper setting. I did what 57K did and just went manual on the CT so I could check and re do when needed. And it was about 15-20% when loading with the CT. I had two that did that, it’s the last two I had. First couple had no problems, but the heads in those wouldn’t fit other CTs due to being to big. So must have lucked out and got the oversized heads that fit perfectly into the presses. And heard of several CTs on CastBoolits board doing the same, too much slop in the head to press fit.

I want to go on record and say I’m NOT a LEE basher! I choose LEE when ever I can. And I have had Dillon’s Square Deal, 550, and 650 press booger up on me as well. And RCBS and Hornady as well. And ALL gave me awesome custom service. But unless I’m able to pick and choose heads to set in the CT, or they come out with a locking plate, the CT is low on my list. Unless someone want to sell one that has no slop in it! :)

The Classic Cast SS with the original screw in bushing is high on my list. Since I will most likely just do my reloading in batches. And like 57K stated, the only real advantage to the T7 or RCBS turrets are keeping the dies setup and ready to go for a certain load. You still have to loosen the back “brace” and turn it to the next station.

Damn! After eight years, I figured they would have came out with something new and improved. But after looking online and heard responses from three boards, doesn’t seem like it. And the LEE CT is in the lead with just over 75% suggesting it. Redding’s T7 and Lee Classic Cast bring up a distance second and third.

Makes me wish I never got rid of my RCBS Pro 2000! Favorite press and favorite priming system of all time!

Lefty

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,420 Posts
While I'm not married to any brand, and if you've read my posts you will find I own a little of everything, but there is a bit of my Dad's Scotch, in me. I use my Lee 3 and 4 hole turrets to load single digit S D's, and I'm ok with that.

So we can discuss the merits of Fords, Chevys, and Dodges until the cows come home, but we will not change each others minds. Sounds like you're "jonesing" for a Redding, so pull the trigger, and enjoy. And don't forget a "range report" when you get it broken in.
:thumb:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, not really. Especially if all it going to do is just be a holder of dies until I need them. And even the T7 has some flex. I’m just wondering what kind to get at this moment, not really focused on brand. Although I’m set on Redding dies!

If if I could have my old Dillon 450 or RCBS Pro 2000 back, I would like that! Both were sold for me. As was a couple of the older LCTs.

Just might get a LEE Classic Cast, non breech loader, and work with that for now. Then hope some other ones come up for sale when I have the money.

Lefty

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
what is your favorite color?
what is the name on the last blimp that you saw?
there literally is the question, as everyone has their opinion, and all of the presses are about equal.
some have plus over the others and most pluses are also accompanied by their minuses.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
You keep mentioning the Redding T-7, I have one of those too and love it, and they are expensive. Have you looked at the new Lyman All American 8? They are about $100 cheaper than the Redding at retail price and have 8 stations rather than the 7 of the Redding. I doubt they have tolerances as loose as the Lee Turret.

I could see how you might overlook Lyman as they are that ugly chain gang orange.

·
Administrator
40,573 Posts
I restarted with reloading about 15 years ago. I sold all my RCBS stuff. Since I reload only straight wall pistol cases, I went with a Dillon Square Deal B. I've been perfectly happy with it. If you plan to load any rifle ammo, you should invest in another brand or model.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Let's consider flex of the turret for a moment. To LEE's credit, on the Classic Cast and Classic Turret, they followed REDDING's lead and added Top-Dead-Center. I know this is rarely talked about while I'm not aware of any REDDING press that doesn't have it.

With the Classic Turret, it's those flanges on the linkage arms, and you can make the ram stop at the same location every time. When setting up your dies in the turret, the turret will flex according to what is determined by T-D-C. You can adjust dies accordingly while the turret is in full flex. Any more ram travel is considered cam-over, and that varies by press.

When you have a press that uses Top-Dead-Center, I've found it a great aid in controlling OACL variations. With the Classic Turret's higher production capability, it really becomes an excellent feature regardless of how simple this may all sound. I've had others tell me that the Blue presses have their own variation, but when you look, it's only nobs on each side of the cast iron flame, not machined steel.

The new LEE progressive may be worth looking into, I haven't seen enough reviews to know as yet. And it caused my prediction to be incorrect. I predicted a good many years ago that LEE's next progressive would be based on the Classic Turret. Looking at its linkage and die mounting, the new progressive appears to have more in common with the Challenger. I've only seen pics at this point, and, so far, I haven't seen a means of accomplishing T-D-C. Since the head is fixed and the dies going into a non-moving part, maybe LEE felt comfortable with that. I'll never understand why their minds are locked into Cheap when it comes to the drive parts being made with plastic. I have learned to use my CT in a way that none of those parts are utilized. I still prefer the control of working with one case at a time. When something's wrong, you're far more likely to Feel it than you wouls with a press that's operating 4 or 5 stations at a time.;)

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Until I switched to a progressive about 10 years ago I used three old Pacific C presses that I picked up from garage sales and ebay. At about $20-$30 a piece they worked wonderfully and were not all that much slower than a progressive. It does add a bit to the cost for the extra shell holders, but not much. I will say though, go for the cast iron presses and leave aluminum alone. One of mine broke recently, the other iron presses are still going strong.

Reactions: 57K

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
As I stated previously, I just started over less than 3 years ago after being away for almost 30 years. If I were to do it again right now today and nothing has changed in what I'm doing I would again proceed the same way. At the same time if something has changed such as what I would be reloading or how much I am sure I would make an adjustment to what I used. So for what I am currently doing I believe I made wise choices in what and why I bought what I did.

·
Registered
969 Posts
While I'm not married to any brand, and if you've read my posts you will find I own a little of everything, but there is a bit of my Dad's Scotch, in me. I use my Lee 3 and 4 hole turrets to load single digit S D's, and I'm ok with that.

So we can discuss the merits of Fords, Chevys, and Dodges until the cows come home, but we will not change each others minds. Sounds like you're "jonesing" for a Redding, so pull the trigger, and enjoy. And don't forget a "range report" when you get it broken in.
:thumb:
Liquid or Caledonian?;)

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,420 Posts
Liquid or Caledonian?;)
:rofl:

Didn't know my Dad did you?

Definitely Caledonian, bought his shoes at Walmart.

:Thumb:

Reactions: 57K

·
Registered
969 Posts
:rofl:

Didn't know my Dad did you?

Definitely Caledonian, bought his shoes at Walmart.

:Thumb:
For those who may not know, Caledonia got it's name from the Romans and was separated from England by Hadrians wall that crosses the island. First landing point for those invading vikings. Kinda like the largest city in England being named Londonium!

And hey, I've bought walking shoes from Wally-World when they've had Dr. Scholls!;)

Reactions: william

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've been VERY happy with my Lee Classic Turret for the past 10 years. NO complaints really. It meets MY pastime hobby desires and my budget and can more than keep up with my realistic ammo usage.

Like a lot of things, speed = $$. I'm cranking out about 175 rounds per hour at my relaxed pace.

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
For those who may not know, Caledonia got it's name from the Romans and was separated from England by Hadrians wall that crosses the island. First landing point for those invading vikings. Kinda like the largest city in England being named Londonium!

And hey, I've bought walking shoes from Wally-World when they've had Dr. Scholls!;)
Damn---I thought we ware tulking bout that stete on the wist koast that has all them hippies and actors in hit!

Reactions: 57K and GreenWolf70

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts