Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got some land cleared off in front of my berm (behind the berm is also a canyon wall) and hung a suspended steel plate between a couple of 4x4's. Now I just need a few more posts and I'm also going to gravel it. Then it is on to an building a range house and getting some shade for target practice!

Soil Shrubland Land lot Plant community Nature reserve

Tree Vegetation Natural landscape Natural environment Nature reserve

Sent from my bad a$$ Custom Epic 4G

·
Registered
278 Posts
That is looking good. I envy you. Think about a Dueling Tree or two.
I am in the country, but have neighbors on both sides. Lot is 185' wide by 500' long. I am thinking of building a bullet trap out of 1/8 or 3/16 plate and shooting inside my pole building. I have 4o ft. A 10x20 corner is where my Hvac shop is. I can open a door at the one end and shoot thru the doorway to the target. I think shooting from inside the insulated shop will muffle the noise.
Your outdoor range is a perfect set up.
The Club range I go to is 26 mile away. NW Ohio is too flat and too populated.
I have also gone the break barrel air rifle route, with no worries of .22 ammo shortage, and shoot off the back deck.
Enjoy the freedom.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to have a set of trees for sure! We own 20 acres in the bend of a river so there is plenty of space out here. When its all done I'm going to have a concrete slab with two covered shooting stalls and get it all lit up for those cloudy days. I want to be able to run some idpa practice drills on the range and will also have a very methodical ballistics testing area with gel stands, chronographs, and high speed cameras!

·
Registered
526 Posts
That makes me so jealous! I live in the big ol city of Las Vegas so my options to shoot are just small indoor ranges and one large outdoor complex. I am moving into empty Northern Nevada in the next couple years though on a biiiig piece of land...counting down the days till I can build my own range!

·
Super Moderator
35,539 Posts
The trees sure look familiar. :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a pic with the newly added range table

Nature reserve Table Tree Wildlife Furniture

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
If you plan on picking up your brass for reloading I suggest covering the shooting area with coarse sand packed firm instead of gravel. The club range I belong to is this way and it sure makes picking up brass easy. Especially with a brass/nut wizard to save your back.

·
Registered
24,947 Posts
I'm jealous

·
Super Moderator
35,539 Posts
For picking up brass, I put my EZ Up up and lay a tarp down, put one of the walls (I bought walls for it back when) up to stop the brass and it falls to the tarp, never misses. I don't use it if it's too windy, just shoot revolvers. :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you plan on picking up your brass for reloading I suggest covering the shooting area with coarse sand packed firm instead of gravel. The club range I belong to is this way and it sure makes picking up brass easy. Especially with a brass/nut wizard to save your back.
I'm going to look into this. I have large quantities of sand already down there from some old river beds and it might just do the trick. Finding brass on this red dirt can be a real booger.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Where exactly in "Central Texas" are you? I'm in Waco!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where exactly in "Central Texas" are you? I'm in Waco!
Colorado city ...yes its in Texas, and no I haven't the slightest idea who's bright idea it was to name this place.

·
Registered
278 Posts
We have a Texas, Ohio on the Maumee River east of Grand Rapids. There is also a Florida and Kansas not to far from me (NW Ohio). ???

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We have a Texas, Ohio on the Maumee River east of Grand Rapids. There is also a Florida and Kansas not to far from me (NW Ohio). ???
It makes me think that they ran out of names and started re-cycling.

·
Super Moderator
35,539 Posts
Well, I'm in Colorado COUNTY. :D I googled Colorado City. Looks like it just ALMOST could be called WEST Texas. Looks like you're not too far from Big Spring, maybe.

Where I live, outside Rock Island, I don't know whether I'm in northern SOUTH Texas, southern CENTRAL Texas, western SOUTH EAST Texas......whatever, I'm in Texas and that's what counts. :D

Reactions: Texheim

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Well, I'm in Colorado COUNTY. :D I googled Colorado City. Looks like it just ALMOST could be called WEST Texas. Looks like you're not too far from Big Spring, maybe.

Where I live, outside Rock Island, I don't know whether I'm in northern SOUTH Texas, southern CENTRAL Texas, western SOUTH EAST Texas......whatever, I'm in Texas and that's what counts. :D
Looks like I get on 84 and drive......259 miles.

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts