Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As you all know I"m getting ready to buy an 85 in SS as my primary carry and as a tribute to my mother. She carried a SS 85 for years (1990?-2008 ) before she passed. I shot it alot and miss it more than any of my other guns that got stolen a few months ago.

I was hoping someone could explain the price difference in the two. I would expect the UL to have a premium price, but that's not the case. The MSRP on the UL is $461, and the standard is $492.... no wonder I have issues finding a standard in my price range. I'm limited to $300 in hand after shipping and transfer fees.

My first choice would be a standard, second an UL.... but I would LOVE to find an older NIB or mint 85 is SS... I doubt that will happen.

Thanks for your time and patience.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I got the M85 from Buds a few months back for $289. Mine is blue not SS, but this finish is nice and it's fun to shoot. Like Moondawg says, shop around and be patient.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I found this is the best deal so far, and if the insurance company would get off of thier butt and cut the check I'd order it.... it's at buds, but I think it's a sale price.
Taurus 85 .38 Spl+P 2" Stainless $286.00 SHIPS FREE

I'm trying to be patient, but I'm not good at that....lol

Mine absolutely, Positively has to be SS. That is what mom carried, and I really want to have the Tribute to her on my side at all times.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there something that shows the history/modifications of the 85? I'd like to see if I can narrow down when it was made.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Taurus' webpage has a link near the bottom -- Find my model - that you can click on. Simply enter the serial number and it will return the full model number and the year it was made. It only shows the year, not the month & day, and doesn't say anything about mods, etc., but you can find out the year anyway.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc - Find My Model

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I no longer have my mom's gun, it was stolen. I was more hoping for a list of the history of mods/changes... thanks though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts