1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
From the info and video shown on all the MSM, I would venture to say the jury did it's job. A pity that the taxpayer funded NPR inferred that it was a racial thing.....

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
The first account of the verdict that I read, like the NPR story, made the racial bias statement in the first paragraph. And that's a sad indictment that any allegedly legitimate news organization would pander to people's racial prejudices as an element of the lead paragraph. I don't recall any mention of racial bias as a factor in the shooting in the newspaper stories during the trial. We will have to wait until the jurors speak on their deliberations to see if it played a role in their verdict.

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
It played out exactly as I predicted it would.

·
17,571 Posts
From the info and video shown on all the MSM, I would venture to say the jury did it's job. A pity that the taxpayer funded NPR inferred that it was a radial thing.....
These days NPR receives much less taxpayer funding than it used too. It depends on how you want to count it, but the number is somewhere below 10%. A lot of the government money they do get are grants directed at specific projects....like children's programming. The amount has been dropping for years.

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
These days NPR receives much less taxpayer funding than it used too. It depends on how you want to count it, but the number is somewhere below 10%. A lot of the government money they do get are grants directed at specific projects....like children's programming. The amount has been dropping for years.
They receive less funding because they've ostracised 1/2 of their revenue base with their leftist policies and bias.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I love it when the justice system works. We talked about this at length last year when it happened, and the bottom line for me was that he 1) instigated the confrontation, and 2) shot a man who was retreating rather than further threatening. The Stand Your Ground law isn't a license to kill so it's encouraging that the rules of it were followed in the courtroom after being broken on the street.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
When you're carrying a gun, any argument can turn into a gunfight.

People carrying guns should be more careful about starting arguments than anyone else.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
When you're carrying a gun, any argument can turn into a gunfight.

People carrying guns should be more careful about starting arguments than anyone else.
This has always been my mindset and my point whenever I talk to anyone about CC. You now have the power of life and death at your disposal, so it is your responsibility to avoid (even going out of your way to do such) potential situations of your having to use it unless that situation has been thrust into your lap and there is no other recourse. Some might see just walking away or avoiding confrontations and arguments a blow to their pride, manhood and ego. I would say if your mentality is such, you have no business carrying a firearm. This was my biggest issue with this situation, and also the Zimmerman encounter, as well as a number of others. All those encounters that lead to deaths could have easily been avoided with just a little more forethought and rational thinking. More brains, less balls if you will.

·
Registered
16,856 Posts
This has always been my mindset and my point whenever I talk to anyone about CC. You now have the power of life and death at your disposal, so it is your responsibility to avoid (even going out of your way to do such) potential situations of your having to use it unless that situation has been thrust into your lap and there is no other recourse. Some might see just walking away or avoiding confrontations and arguments a blow to their pride, manhood and ego. I would say if your mentality is such, you have no business carrying a firearm. This was my biggest issue with this situation, and also the Zimmerman encounter, as well as a number of others. All those encounters that lead to deaths could have easily been avoided with just a little more forethought and rational thinking. More brains, less balls if you will.
Nominated for the best two sentences of the month.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
At least justice was served.

From what was said right after the incident, this halfwit liked to try to play parking lot policeman and had had other confrontations at that location on previous occasions. His choice of victim was his downfall- namely, a woman with her boyfriend inside.

It seems that he was mistaken as to what a concealed carry permit does. ALL it does is tell the police that you can carry a gun in public- as long as you don't do anything stupid. He didn't pay attention to the last bit from the hyphen to the period. It is not make you into Super Secret Plain Clothes Junior Special Deputy and Bane of Wrong Doers Everywhere.

I still don't see how this is a Stand Your Ground test case unless that was his defense (if so, it was a stretch of epic proportions and basically a Hail Mary by his lawyer).

You don't get to instigate the confrontation and claim Stand Your Ground as a defense. The Stand Your Ground law was intended to take the requirement of retreat away from the defender- not the aggressor.

HE took it upon himself to initiate contact with the woman. HE continued the contact when confronted with the man coming to the woman's defense. HE escalated the confrontation.

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
If they proved that the man was retreating, then manslaughter is a slam dunk. The moral of the story is, you'd better be very sure of what you think you're seeing if you pull your gun out.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
I agree with this. Doing nothing and moving along is always an option. It just depends on the situation, and if your own life or the life of somebody dear to you is in danger or not. Pulling your gun elevates the situation to a whole 'nother level and the ends have to justify the means.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Nominated for the best two sentences of the month.
While I'm honored, are you qualified to make such nominations? I thought that was Lee Jack's realm? ;-)

·
17,571 Posts
In other words....just because you can stand your ground, doesn't mean you should.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts