Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a search but came up with no results. I decided on the pt111 as my new carry gun to be purchased in the next few months but I'm not sure about the slide finish. Ive seen the pt111 in matte stainless, polished stainless, and blued. Is there any difference in performance or durability that would influence my decision. If not im more inclined to go with the blued just from a conealability/less flashy point.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I prefer blued for the conceal-ability issue. I wear jeans most the time. With a black gun and a black holster it's a lot less noticeable if my shirt rides up on occasion. Black blends in really well.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
The stainless holds up better than the blued versions, but the performance is the same. If you are in high humidity, or you carry it and sweat gets on it, that can be a problem if it is not stainless. The blued versions are fine, you just want to wipe it down with an oil rag frequently. The blue doesn't hold up to holster wear as well either.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I switched to stainless after light surface rust appeared on my blued M905. No problems at all with stainless. For carry I would go with matte rather than polished.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Yep. I have one gun with a matte stainless slide - had it been available in blue I'd have gone that way. I wear a lot of black/dark colored clothes and conceal ability was my thought as well. All my other guns are black with the exception of a vintage family heirloom shotgun.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I prefer blued for my CC piece, for the same reasons mentioned already. I'm not concerned with "holster rash", and make an effort to wipe it down at the end of the day. Basically not performance differences, just rust-proofing, and eye appeal.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I perfer stainless, but it is just an aesthetic issue, I suppose blued might hide a little better, but people have been shot with nothing in their hand but a cell phone or a set of car keys.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Good question, good answers. Enjoy the gun you get.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Living in Florida where humidity is a problem, even before considering sweat, stainless is often recommended over blued. Having
said that, I went with blued for my EDC, for no other reason than I really liked the looks of it. I give it a quick wipe down with
RemOil once every day or so (sometimes twice a day if the humidity is really bad), and as Nova mentioned, keeping the holster
clean will help with holster wear. So far, I have had no problems <knock on wood>, and if holster wear ever becomes an issue,
I'll probably be ready to have it Cerakoted anyways :)

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
PT111?

Duo Tone all the way. That thing is a beaut!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I asked that same question before I bought my tcp738. Since I live in SC and we have high humidity and I am outside and sweat, I wondered about the effect of the salt in my sweat and the blued finish. academy had the plain 738 in blue for $199 and the stainless for $279 but it came with an extra mag and the belt holster/bag. I opted to go that way even though I thought the darker gun would be less likely to draw attention. I am glad I bought what I did but still am curious about the blue issue.

·
Registered
428 Posts
ImHO: blue for looks......stainless for wear

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I preferred the stainless for ccw because it will hold up better than the blued. Also, minor scratches and wear on the stainless are less visible and easier to correct.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I agree with everyone. LOL

I own both SS & Blue - prefer SS, but really more worried about it going bang than appearance.

·
Registered
29,959 Posts
Living and working here in the hot, humid, salt sea air of Florida's Gulf Coast I prefer all my guns in stainless steel.

Makes preventive maintenance a whole lot easier.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts