Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to thinking the other night why there isnt many if any stainless shotguns? I thought maybe because they are not too involved to disassemble and therefore not as needed but why are there so many hunting rifles stainless? I guess it would add considerable cost to some guns but some shotguns already run $800+. Just a useless thought.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I pondered this some and I reckon that waterfoul hunters in tidal wetlands may have a need for a SS shotgun, but cannot say that I do.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I pondered this some and I reckon that waterfoul hunters in tidal wetlands may have a need for a SS shotgun but cannot say that I do.
Wouldn't the shiny barrel reflect and scare off the ducks?

·
Administrator
35,274 Posts
Probably because it just about doubles the cost of the shotgun.....a Mossberg 590 runs about $450 or so which is twice what a Mossberg 500 would.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
There are some stainless Steel Shotguns out there. Ruger makes one, in fact Airwrench owns one and it's very nice. Browning has made SS shotguns the BT99 comes to mind though I don't think it is currently offered in their line. Ljutic makes trap shotguns and they offered a stainless version of their gun for a while. Franchi offered a titanium shotgun also. Those are just the ones that I can remember off the top of my head. I'm sure other members will add to the list.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Wouldn't the shiny barrel reflect and scare off the ducks?
Most of the duck hunters that I run accross have camo painted shotguns. I don't know of anyone else 'cept maybe shark hunters that would have much use for this type of smoke pole. Like I said I don't have a use for one.

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
The closest you'll come is some "Marine" versions of pump shotguns, like Mossberg that have corrosive resistant "hard chromed" receivers & barrels.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are actually quiet a few stainless shotguns they just might not be as advertised. The military buys plenty of them, like the Coast Guard and Navy.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Stainless steel shotties would be good but someone might steal them

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Winchester made a stainless 1300. The 1300 is a great shotgun. I have a Defender, but would love to get one of the stainless ones.

·
22,008 Posts
As Skiff said I have a Ruger Red Label in stainless. Its a 12 ga. over and under with 28" barrels.

My son has a Remington 870 XCS which is a duck gun. It is covered with a matte and camo fininsh,
otherwise it is all stainless inside and out. The XCS means extreme conditions or duck hunting..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts