Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I've been looking for a stainless PT92 without the rail for a long time but I've had no luck. It fell off the roster here in CA a while back so I can't order one online :mad:

Anyone know of one here in CA in the Bay Area that might have one? I've been posting up WTB ads on Calguns and Armslist offering cash and even a 90's Polish Tantal parts kit as trade but have gotten no bites.

I can only get one through PPT now so I've been really frustrated coming across some only to realize that they're either out-of-state or 2 1/2 hrs away

·
Administrator
40,361 Posts
There was one on Bud's Gun Shop a couple of days ago.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was one on Bud's Gun Shop a couple of days ago.
I wish I could order one off Buds. Due to California's roster, if a handgun isn't on it then it's illegal to buy it new. That means it's illegal to order it online or out-of-state but it's perfectly legal to own. The whole roster deal makes my head spin :mad:

My only option now is to buy a used one off someone here in CA via private party transfer.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Must be a California loophole here. If I move to California can I take my guns? Or did they make it so there are no added non roster guns in the hands of law abiding citizens. What about retired police guns?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Must be a California loophole here. If I move to California can I take my guns? Or did they make it so there are no added non roster guns in the hands of law abiding citizens. What about retired police guns?
From my understanding they give you like a month or something to register them with the state if you move here and you've gotta convert/modify any gun they think is an "assault weapon." As for non roster guns, they're perfectly legal to own here, you just can't order one new or bring it in from out-of-state. The only loophole left is to buy the gun used from someone that already has one here in CA and do a PPT at a LGS. This applies to used police guns as well. If it isn't on the roster, we can't have them. Police are exempt from the roster though.

The PT92 was once on the roster many years ago but CA makes manufacturers pay a fee and go through a bunch of tests before they can legally sell handguns here. If they don't keep paying it every year, it gets dropped from the roster and magically becomes illegal to buy brand new because it's no longer "safe."

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Time to move. I have 3 prerail pt99's ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so I might have found one but there's a couple of things that are throwing up flags for me:

1: The gun supposedly has less than 200rds through it, but looks slightly worn in listing pics
2: Seller is answering back in 2-3 word responses
3: Seller is 3hrs away (one way)
4. Seller dodges my request to send additional pics (I've asked twice already)
5. Wants 450 for it and only includes two 10rd mags, nothing else
6. Gun has been up for sale for 3 months now, I would expect someone would've snatched it up by now.

I know what my gut is telling me but what do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I know how it is to want something so bad you can taste it but this deal is full of red flags so you know the answer. The only last thing you can try if you want is being up front with him. Tell him you're interested but not getting a good feeling about the whole deal. Tell him you want more pictures, more answers or the conversation is over. Some pistols get a lot of carry wear even thought they are not shot much so it's hard to tell. Three hours is a long way. Make sure of the gun before you go. Good luck!

Reactions: Eazy_rider

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I've asked for pics again and I'm gonna jump straight to it when he answers back.

Is $450 a reasonable price for what he's got? Gun + 2 mags

·
Registered
419 Posts
Believe me I know the feeling. to me 3 hrs is not a long ride to get something you REALLY want. But the is 2 problems first you have to use your head when you get there and it's a long ride home if things don't pan out.
BEST OF LUCK

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I think this one might be a dud. I sent him the message this morning asking for the pics again and got no response. THE SEARCH IS BACK ON :cool:

Believe me I know the feeling. to me 3 hrs is not a long ride to get something you REALLY want. But the is 2 problems first you have to use your head when you get there and it's a long ride home if things don't pan out.
BEST OF LUCK
Thanks for the support man. I'll definitely make sure it's worth it way before I head anywhere. This whole deal was throwing up red flags immediately because if it were me selling this gun I wouldn't be acting the way this dude is.

California laws suck. If I moved back to CA(witch I will not do). I would have to get rid of most of my guns.
Yup that's CA for ya. These laws are driving all of us out here insane. I want to leave but at the same time I want to stay and help so these laws don't spread and infect other states

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally!!!

Update: GOT ONE! :cool:

Had to drive 5hrs one way to LA to get it and it turned out better than I thought.

1st owner only fired one 10rd mag through it and the 2nd owner I bought it off fired less than 100rds and decided to put it away and forgot about it. After inspecting it, it's brand new with not a scratch on it!

Late 80s early 90s model to match my DOB with thin short serrations and white grips.

82238177_492899587874835_2896829108983955456_n.jpg

10 day wait starts now!

·
Administrator
40,361 Posts
Congratulations! That one is a looker!:thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts