Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just purchased a stainless 856. I had been doing some research of what type of stainless steel Taurus uses and it looks like according so some sources that the stainless steel isn't actually stainless but an applied finish to give the appearance of stainless. I reached out to Taurus to clarify the issue unfortunately it was not much help. I figured I'd reach out to the community to see if you guys know anything. Does Taurus actually use stainless steel or is it an applied finish?

·
8,337 Posts
Question many of us has debated..My opinion is carbon steel with applied finish, but maybe one of our members has an actual answer.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I emailed Taurus CS with this exact question.
Crickets.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd say stainless, although, stainless grades abound. I've seen numerous Taurus revolvers polished to a mirror shine, often to the degree that there are no longer any sharp edges. Any finish would have to be in excess of 1/16" thick, not to be worn completely away by the process. Right on this very forum is a Taurus revolver that had not been fully machined after manufacture, leaving a sizable nib. The nib was filed away. There again, an applied finish would have been removed. Consider this as well, it's unlikely that a finish would be applied on the internal machined surfaces or even the side cover. If you've ever removed the side cover on a Taurus revolver, you've seen how very tightly fitted they are.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I find stainless to have a little too much glare when sighting a target.

·
Registered
13,854 Posts
Years back when Taurus changed from polished and matt stainless steel firearms to stainless steel finish I contacted Taurus because I was not pleased with the appearance of a pistol I ordered online.

I was told that if I had an issue with the appearance of the firearm that I needed to address this matter with the seller. When pressed harder I was informed that Taurus now applies a Taurus proprietary finish to the firearm for a stainless finish. It was about this same time that Taurus sold and advertised blue, black or stainless finish on their pistols.

·
17,584 Posts
I believe many of the older guns were actually stainless, but the newer ones are an applied finish.

·
21,962 Posts
Stainless steel is an alloy. It's generally believed that you can't plate alloys. There may be some exceptions, but my research has consistently said plating with stainless steel is impossible. You can plate other metals onto stainless, sure, but you can't plate complex alloys onto other metals. Here's a good discussion.

So I don't think it's possible that Taurus is plating stainless steel onto carbon steel. So the next question I ask myself is could Taurus be using the term informally - basically incorrectly. In America today, you can get sued (sucessfully) if a customer asks for a Diet Coke and you serve them a Diet Pepsi. Ever eat low carb yoghurt? If you read carefully enough, the labeling makes it clear that you're not actually eating yogurt.

I don't expect the phone call crew to be able or willing to go into all this. I think their stainless guns are just that. I don't think they are plated in any way. Dad 1911 makes some good points as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So I just purchased a stainless 856. I had been doing some research of what type of stainless steel Taurus uses and it looks like according so some sources that the stainless steel isn't actually stainless but an applied finish to give the appearance of stainless. I reached out to Taurus to clarify the issue unfortunately it was not much help. I figured I'd reach out to the community to see if you guys know anything. Does Taurus actually use stainless steel or is it an applied finish?
it will rust before it pits. That's not stainless in my book.

·
Registered
259 Posts
it will rust before it pits. That's not stainless in my book.
I work with stainless components commercially, on a multi-million dollar level. Some grades of stainless will indeed rust. In some services, stainless will pit, without the first sign of rust ever showing. Chromium, nickel and other components are added to enhance certain properties. Sometimes there are negatives. Think about stainless steel knives, as an example. Great. It might not rust, but its a bear to sharpen and won't keep an edge for squat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Question many of us has debated..My opinion is carbon steel with applied finish, but maybe one of our members has an actual answer.
That's what Taurus told me. I asked specifically about the new model 65 and model 66, and the rep told me they're both carbon steel with coatings.
But I posted that on this forum, and the forum convinced me the rep probably didn't know what she was talking about. The posters showed pictures of Taurus revolvers polished the way I don't think another steel could be, except stainless...

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I don't think it's possible that Taurus is plating stainless steel onto carbon steel.
I thought the debate was if Taurus is applying a coating, like paint or powder coating over the steel. I've never heard of anyone thinking they were coating stainless over another steel. The coating doesn't even look like stainless is the reason I thought people were questioning it. Dunno though?

·
Registered
259 Posts
That's what Taurus told me. I asked specifically about the new model 65 and model 66, and the rep told me they're both carbon steel with coatings.
But I posted that on this forum, and the forum convinced me the rep probably didn't know what she was talking about. The posters showed pictures of Taurus revolvers polished the way I don't think another steel could be, except stainless...
The rep may know less about it than you do. Taurus will also tell you that my stainless steel Defender weights 35 oz, when it actually weights over 10 oz less. If you've ever seen an old nickel plated revolver, that the plating has worn away or flaked off, you'll see just how thin it is. You'll never see that on a stainless Taurus. Take a look at the tungsten Cerakoted Defender 856. It's very obviously a coating.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The rep may know less about it than you do. Taurus will also tell you that my stainless steel Defender weights 35 oz, when it actually weights over 10 oz less. If you've ever seen an old nickel plated revolver, that the plating has worn away or flaked off, you'll see just how thin it is. You'll never see that on a stainless Taurus. Take a look at the tungsten Cerakoted Defender 856. It's very obviously a coating.
I think that's probably true.
As soon as gun prices go back to normal I'm getting a new model 66 in stainless finish with plans to polish it and see for myself.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think that's probably true.
As soon as gun prices go back to normal I'm getting a new model 66 in stainless finish with plans to polish it and see for myself.
Depending on where you shop, prices for Taurus revolvers are pretty much normal. My 6" Model 66 was $396 in July and my Defender was $339, just a few weeks ago. While some are asking crazy prices, normal prices are still out there if you keep an eye out online. Just be ready to buy when you see it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts