Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
I bought one from a previous slick guns post. It's a fine cabinet, but surely not a fireproof safe. Good for keeping the curious grandkids away.

One caution- the keys which look at first glance as if they are double cut the same, top and bottom, actually only insert one way. Save yourself
the expense, ($35. or so), of a replacement lock set by carefully noting this.....

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I've got one also. Fairly sturdy. Not a safe but better than nothing.
Bolt it to the wall, floor, or both and it's pretty secure.

The key cannot be removed from the lock when in the unlocked
position.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I remember when this would have held all 3 of my guns. A CVA 44 longrifle, home built; a ?New Haven? (Monkey Ward's Mossberg) 20 ga pi...pump and a Glenfield/Marlin 60 .22. Now I think with what I have and what I plan to get, 3 of them might work. But...No room at the Inn for them, unless I lay them down and shove them under the bed. Then I would have to find another place to throw stuff.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Did you drill through the sides to mount the rails? I assume so just checking if you had magic working. How does it look from the outside?

edit - I see the nuts now. Second question still stands, how's it look from the outside? Any issues with moisture getting in through your dropped homes?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Did you drill through the sides to mount the rails? I assume so just checking if you had magic working. How does it look from the outside?

edit - I see the nuts now. Second question still stands, how's it look from the outside? Any issues with moisture getting in through your dropped homes?
Looks alright to me, could have painted the machine screw heads to make them blend in, but it is in a closet so no one (other than you guys) will see it.

I miss spoke when I used the term bolt, I should have said machine screws. I used 6-32 x 3/8" which gave me a flush or close to flush nut/screw surface on the interior so no skin has been lost while reaching in. Grand total of 5 screws in each pilaster, with the pilasters being approx 40" in length. My shelf material is only 3/8" thick but I used a doubler (glued & screwed) in the middle running the width of each shelf and it is holding up well with minimal if any sag even on the .45 cal shelf.

Not sure what you mean by the "dropped homes" question, but I'm not in Kansas anymore so it's not an issue. :D

J/K, I think you meant drilled holes, but it wouldn't be an issue since the door really doesn't seal on the cabinet frame.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Yeah I'm on my phone, that was auto correct greatness. I did mean drilled holes, but you're right since the door doesn't seal it's a moot point. Thanks for the pictures, that's a great use and quality mod on your part. I will keep this in mind - I've only got pistols right now so the shelves would work really well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts