Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, I prefer just corned beef and potatoes, no cabbage. Not to mention, the drinks!!! It's on a Saturday this year.

What do you have for us Sarge?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Going American: grilled steaks and beer!

·
Registered
31,694 Posts
Normally, I love corned beef and cabbage, love corned beef sandwiches...but right now it doesn't sound that good! Hmmm, nothing sounds good, just finished a loaded up pizza and ate most of the pizza as I didn't want any leftovers going stale!!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Corned beef, cabbage and potatoes is a favorite, my dear old great great great grand pa from county Donegal would say the same thing. I'll be at my favorite Irish pub for the occasion.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Matter of fact I couldn't wait. I fixed a Rubeun sandwich just the other day.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I can eat this meal any day, i can't wait til St. Patty's day.

·
Super Moderator
35,525 Posts
Dinner in one big pot....what could be finer?

Reactions: rodfair

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Unfortunately I'm in baking now and won't get it at school. I would love to do it here but I doubt we can. We did make an awesome corn beef hash back towards the beginning. The school makes corn beef itself as well as buying it. I will make one myself when I get more cash.

Two ways it comes by the way, a brisket version and a top round version. Brisket is a very tasty cut but a bit more difficult to cook a corn beef with. The top round is much more tender and has more meat to cut off! I'm a top round fan myself but will happily take either if done right. And it is a meal I could eat any time.

Sarge

·
Registered
27,108 Posts
The Irish are nearly as famous as the Brits for their cuisine. That's why they all just get drunk on St. Patrick's Day. That way they don't have to taste the food.

Reactions: stallard

·
Registered
27,108 Posts
But if you are going to make a corned beef - do it right.
I'm going to disagree with Sarge - use a brisket, the round does not have the right texture when you're done.
  • 4 cups water
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 t. pickling spice
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 T sugar (optional)
Boil water, add everything above
When cool, put liquid into large ziplock bag (they do come large enough if you hunt), add brisket
Remove all air from bag, and refrigerate for 2 weeks, turning 1-3 times/day.

Another option is to substitute Guiness' for 2 cups of water. Do not combine this option with the optional sugar

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I love a good corned beef brisket that you can eat with a spoon. Personally, i enjoy smoking the brisket for 6-8 hours with indirect heat depending on size and then finishing it off in the oven if needed for another hour or so. There's just something about that combination of flavors that's making my mouth water right now.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Corned beef brisket, cabbage, potatoes and baby carrots, into the slow cooker about 9:00 am, and dinner at 5:30. Perhaps ​a carbonated malt beverage or two while we wait.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I will make corned beef for reuben's, I love a good reuben.

Reactions: 91 whiskey

·
Administrator
39,367 Posts
I'm not really into St. Patrick's day, but Texas Independence day is almost on top of us, and I'm getting hungry for some brisket, beans, and beer!

Reactions: 91 whiskey

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Personally, I prefer just corned beef and potatoes, no cabbage. Not to mention, the drinks!!! It's on a Saturday this year.

What do you have for us Sarge?
God Knows I am. My Irish-Italian wife doesn't eat meat (??weirdo??) and I'll have to eat the brisket myself. More for me!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
If I have the time I do love the brisket corned beef, as it has a different flavor and more of it (lots more connective tissue). The original stuff? The ordinary folks never had it as it was too expensive (both beef and salt were expensive back then) and they used any tougher cuts to make it. And the Irish basically have no corned beef and cabbage recipes. If a place there serves it, it is for the tourists. What do they do on The Day? They eat a Shamrock Sandwich otherwise known as a pint or many of them.

The first taste a lot of Irish got was when they emigrated here or to Canada. But they drink or drank a lot of milk and use cheese a lot. The farmers may have raised the cattle and helped salt it (called corning it due to the large kernels of salt) but the cattle belonged to the landlord and he got the meat and usually exported what he did not eat.

Sarge

·
Registered
27,108 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Why erin go bragh?

If you saw erin go braghless you would know why.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts