Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to this site and was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the M94 revolver? I'm thinking of getting one and just wondering how they perform. I like the size and 9 shot cylinder it just seems to be about the right size to pack around all day in prairie dog towns. I'm interested in accuracy and dependability most.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 941 and really like the pistol when used in SA mode. It has been very accurate with good trigger pull. My only dislike is the trigger pull in DA mode. It takes a lot of pressure and makes my aim horribly inaccurate. In both SA and DA, the gun has functioned flawlessly.

If you can live with these compromises, then I think you will be very happy with a model 94.

·
32,653 Posts
401pm. Welcome to the forum and you hit on a subject dear to the heart. Have a newer 94 in blue with the 5 inch barrel. Split the difference between the 4 incher and 6 inchers. Slightly more velocity than the 4 inch barrels.Easier to tote around all day than the 6 in. models of rimfire revolvers. The above info that our fellow member has posted is correct. The DA trigger is stiff and hard. However, since this is my understudy gun for the center fire revolvers that I have, a project to lighten the trigger was undertaken. Using snap caps(they are cheap and better than using already fired casings), the revolver was dry fired from 500 to 1000 times. This was not done all at the same time , but used it as dryfire practice in the basement with a backstop that would contain a 22 round that fired in case the "empty" gun had one in it. I did triple check the cylinder for live ammo. Then put the snap caps in. Still treated the revolver as if it had real ammo in it and took all safety precautions. Took a few days of this, but did it consistently every day at the same time. The trigger pull was somewhat lighter and felt much better than the original. Use and practice will wear the parts in without replacing the springs or other parts. Would not recommend trying to cut the spring to make it lighter , stoning the action,or trying to put lighter springs in. There aren't any companies that make replacement springs to lighten the pull. One would get light firing pin strikes if one could anyway. This would cause misfires on a regular basis. A drop of synthetic or dry lubricant on the inner contact surfaces would help smooth things up. I practice with a DA trigger pull for most of my shooting. If a plinker or just shooting for fun SA is all you need. But I like the challenge of shooting my best with the DA setting.It is what would have to be done with the center fire revolvers anyway out in the field or for defense. Accuracy was acceptable for a 22 rimfire. Cheaper than the bigger bore revolvers to shoot. Even try hitting targets at long range while plinking soda cans. Make sure of what is beyond the target and that the backstop will keep the bullets from getting away. Stainless is easier to clean than the blued versions.Being water resistant is a bonus. If you use a lead remover cloth it will not take the finish off like it will for bluing. 9 rounds is also a nice bonus over the 6 shooters. HKS makes a 9 shot speedloader that is small,dureable, and will disappear into a pocket or pouch. Very light. One can forget it is in a pocket or carrier. Have had very good service from the 94.

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
Rough DA seems to be a problem with J frame guns in .22, Smith and Wesson or others. My uncle had a K.22 masterpiece and even IT was stiff DA back in the late 60s when they detailed things like that. My Rossi M511 is stiff DA, but like Qd says, my Rossi is an understudy where DA is concerned. Rather than try to improve it, though, I just put up with it. I know if I can hit with that rough DA, the little M85 Taurus will be a piece of cake! ;D The single action pull is much more important for field use and I've taken a number of rabbits with it, very accurate little .22, and the single action pull is all that counts in the field. That little gun has one of the best SA triggers I own, believe it or not. ;D Don't have any direct experience with the Taurus 94 because my little Rossi is really all I need. But, in general, for some reason, every .22 DA revolver I've ever fired had a DA trigger that could stand improvement.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I've owned some older blued models in the past with the 4" barrel and wooden grips and I currently on a Stainless M94 with a 5" barrel and rubber grips that came with it from the factory.

As the others have stated, the DA pull is very heavy but will lighten somewhat over time with use. They are very handsome looking guns however and for the money they can't be beat.

Before buying my last M94, I had been looking at it and the S&W 617 .22 revolver. The price tag on the Smith however, was $200 more than the Taurus -- and I couldn't justify paying the extra amount for the Smith when the Taurus was equally as nice, so it was a no brainer.

Mine has been, like the M94s I had before it, rugged, accurate and 100% reliable. I think if you purchase one you'll be pleased. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts