Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just now read on another forum about this fellow who said he was going to get a spurless hammer for his Rugger SP101 to make it a "convertable". Did I misunderstand his post or is this possible to do and if so, could it be done to a Taurus M85 with a hammer like mine, I mean, can the M85 hammer be changed out for a spurless one? Sorry, I guess I should have asked this on the smithing thread.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes you can, but the hammer is considered a "fitted" part, so Taurus won't sell you one unless you ship the gun to them so they can fit the new hammer to the gun.

If you're savvy enough for some gun smithing, you can buy M85 part kits off of gun broker that have hammers in them. Make sure you know what you're doing though. Having sear that fails from time to time makes a dangerous gun.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mr. Paws. I would not fill good about tring to do it my self and would not want to let my gun be gone for 2 or 3 weeks to Taurus. Maybe a gun smith here in town could do it without it costing an arm and a leg. Would this mess up the Warranty I wonder? I guess I should just try and save up and buy a new spurless Taurus. Money is so dang hard to come by now a days though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
flounder22, another option is to cut off the hammer spur. I know several people who have done this & the gun is easily carried in the pocket. It can then even be shot through the pocket in emergency (all defence situations are emergencys). The gun can still be shot single action by starting the hammer back with the DA, catching it with the thumb & finishing cocking it. Letting it down unfired is a little tricky, but with some practice easily done. If the gun chosen is stainless steel it's easy to burnish the cut off job & it looks like it belongs there. If it's blued a cold blue will make it blend in, it just may need to be reblued from time to time. I'm not suggesting you cut the hammer spur off your gun, just telling what I have seen done with good results. Thanks Frank

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've been considering de-horning the hammer on my 605. The only thing stopping me is the possibility of a light primer strike with a hammer that isn't as heavy as the unaltered one.
I had done the hammer on a S&W model 60, years back, with excellent results.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. The more I think about it, I really would not pocket carry that much anyway. I have two On The Belt holsters that I really like and a hand made gun belt and my shirt tail in always out. I don`t want to bob the hammer spur off, I couldn`t reverse that if I did not like it. My best bet will be to get a spurless one to go with the one I have now, It`s lonely anyway.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I de-horned my M85 shortly after I got it and have never had an issue with igniting the rounds. People have been bobbing the hammers on Smiths for decades without issues. Now if you have a weak spring that is different but they you have an issue with the spring not with the reduced mass of the hammer.

Steelheart

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.