Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40 cal with the 15 rounds mags. My question is if i leave them at full load of 15 will it wear out the springs. I was thinking about just leaving 10 rounds in each during storage.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the same and i have not had it long emough to find out, but for my mini 14 i leave them in all the time and it has not done anything to them. I'm going to try it in my .40 and see what happens. If you find out let me now and i will do the same. Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a browning high power and one of the mags springs is weak. It still feeds ok but it is starting to show sighns of weakness. My ruger 10-22 has some of the 30 round mags with it and they suck now. I am not sure if it was because i left them full or if they just wear out fast. They were after market mags. I have not had issues with any of my other semi autos.

·
22,058 Posts
I leave all my mags empty except my defense gun. I have heard the mag spring only wears out by loading and unloading. I tend to disagree. Keeping a spring compressed has to weaken it. Temp changes also would effect the spring in a compressed condition.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Im hoping to weaken my springs a bit so that final 10th round isnt such a PITA to get in!

·
Registered
122 Posts
hey weaponize.. you should move to Cali so you dont need to put a full 17 rounds in your mag! LOL.. jk man! Lucky you!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Taurus24740cal said:
hey weaponize.. you should move to Cali so you dont need to put a full 17 rounds in your mag! LOL.. jk man! Lucky you!
Must admit it is very nice. :D
I do need to get a 10 round clip for when I travel though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Keeping a spring compressed has to weaken it. Temp changes also would effect the spring in a compressed condition.
No, keeping a spring compressed should not weaken it under normal circumstances, unless it is compressed past it's design limit. Temperature changes also should have no effect, unless you put it in the oven or perhaps LN2.

P.S. I'm a physicist and my wife has 2 advanced degrees in materials engineering / metallurgy...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.