Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The current edition of American Rifleman has the Springfield XDs as the winner of the handgun of the year. So much for the M&P Shield, which some thought might win. Some of the mag drop & other here & there issue's didn't help I'm sure, but the XDs hasn't been without it's probs either. Been nice to see the new G2 in the running too, Oh well.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
The Shield is a great gun from what I've read. I liked my XD(m) well enough that I sold it - (I was weird over the trigger and didn't care for .45).

Anyway, congrats Springfield!

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
I have looked at and fondled a few of the XDs models and, while they fit my grip pretty well, nothing that spectacular about them. Certainly didn't take the market by storm with new and innovative features like the LCP and LCRs did a few years ago with their nylon/spun glass poly and steel components; certainly not like the Judge did when it made 410/45LC (and 45ACP if you use moon clips) cool again a few years back.

Nice gun, but fail to see the "specialness" about it. But, thats just me.l I am happy to convey congrats where congrats are due - congrats Springfield.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
got an xd 40 a few weeks ago, be gentle on me. a good a buy ($450) as my g2. perfect in my hand and shot like a dream. doesn't surprise me one bit. :icon_ devil:

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Yeah. I own a four incher(barrel) XD in .45acp. Very good shooting gun; I like it. So there! :D

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
I've carried an XD9sc for quite a while. I alternate between it and my PT845. They fit the same holster. The XD holds 13 rounds of 9mm in a sub compact frame. It points well and is quite accurate. I like the grip safety as well. The PT845 has the same feel and pointability when I want to step up in firepower. Both conceal very well.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Congrat's to Springfield, I have a XDs which has turned out to be a fantastic shooter and my summer EDC. And just recently purchased the XDM 3.8 in 40

·
Registered
222 Posts
I bought an XD subcompact 9mm a couple of years ago but my youngest Son "borrowed" it. Actually he confiscated it but that's OK I'd rather he has a gun that he likes and will carry as one that lays on the night stand. They're well built guns but a little on the heavy side for a carry gun for me. My S&W 340PD .357 Mag snubbie is as big as I want to go for a pocket gun and at under 12 ounces it's less than half the weight of the 26 ounce XD.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
"Congrats" to the XDs .45 ACP. If it would have been on the market before I got my Glock 36, I might not have a Glock 36. ;)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I shot my buddy's he has the same one and it was a fun gun to shoot. I been looking to get a 45 since I don't own one and I don't feel American without owning a 45 I am probably going to go with the 27/7 45 though I really like the feel and price.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have an XDs and it's become my EDC. Until you shoot it you will not understand what's so good about it but it really is very accurate and with not nearly as much kick as you are expecting. The trigger alone is also a big plus and it think this is what it put it over the edge vs the shield.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
The XD9 Service size is my EDC gun now. Shoots great with only one problem. I want the XD9sc, XD45c, and the XDs now. :cool:

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I love them Springfields. I used one for my CCW class, to qualify with, provided by the instructor. Great accuracy - and it was my first time shooting after 5 years.

If I did not have the PX4 Storm Full size pistol; I would have grabbed one of these.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I too have the XDs and also the Shield. The XDs is hands down my favorite. Once you shoot one you fall head over heals in love with it. (Don't tell my Shield I said that !!!) Actually I wouldn't trade either one but the XDs.....well, let's just say it gets more play time. :)
I have an XDs and it's become my EDC. Until you shoot it you will not understand what's so good about it but it really is very accurate and with not nearly as much kick as you are expecting. The trigger alone is also a big plus and it think this is what it put it over the edge vs the shield.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Springfield makes great guns - no doubt about it. I do have some doubts about 45ACP in a 3.3" barrel and the 5 +1 capacity is a turn off for me. Gun of the year - in someone's opinion. I don't see it as a game changer.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I was day dreaming about handguns again at work today - Taurus G2s, XDs, M&Ps, Ruger SRs, Glocks etc... I recently traded into 2 Raging Bulls so I'm leaning towards another XD, they just have been calling my name again as of late. The M&Ps have their own appeal, I think because I've never owned one. :)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
For a little stress theropy I stoped at the local range and decided to stop and shoot a few mag's out of both my XDs and XDm and I have to say that I am impressed with that little 3.3" barrel. Very accuratate, is it a Bull's Eye Pistol no, but at self defence distance absolutely. Now on the other hand the XDm will drive tack's but that is another story.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
What Skiff said - especially about the grip safety. I have an XD9 and it's accurate, reliable and comfortable. But it's no big whoop. That's what I expect in a gun to begin with. It still doesn't make me as comfortable as my PT145 MilPro. I shoot the XD, but so far, I've found no compelling reason to carry it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts