Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a 45 for a while, I have a 1911, but wanted to add something different.

Seems the S&W and Springfield are both pretty popular.

I think the M&P hold 10 rounds, and the XD 13.

Has anyone owned, shot, or carried both?

Found a Ruger P90 in excellent condition, but not sure it's worth the $500 asking price, plus I'd bet parts would be hard to find if needed.

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
I haven't bought either of those brands but I do own a SIG P227. It is their standard P series pistol with DA/SA in 45 ACP. 10+1.
And, yep! Being all steel construction it is heavy! Another reason I never leave the house without my Perry "hook under the belt" suspenders.

I did buy a Springfield XdM in 10mm and is 15+1. Even though it holds 5 more cartridges it is still lighter than the P227.

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
I carry a S&W Shield Compact 45, but cannot comment on the Springfield. Compact and accurate, middle of the road on weight and capacity is 7 +1 with the largest magazine. I have a Witness Compact 45 for sale in the Classifieds.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
I've been wanting a 45 for a while, I have a 1911, but wanted to add something different.

Found a Ruger P90 in excellent condition, but not sure it's worth the $500 asking price, plus I'd bet parts would be hard to find if needed.
well I like both pistols that you mention and have shot both but do not own either.
MY 2 cents IF you want a 45 acp pistol and not a 1911 then no doubt my suggestion is a CZ 97 B or 97 BD. course if you don't want to pony up 500 bucks then the CZ is out of the question at I imagine the 625-650 price range.
MY 97 gets shot a lot more than any of my 1911 or other 45acp pistols.
weight is about the same as a steel 1911 if carry is a concern.
10 round capacity, tritium sights and two magazines included.

Attachments

Reactions: kmw1954 and WooD

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
well I like both pistols that you mention and have shot both but do not own either.
MY 2 cents IF you want a 45 acp pistol and not a 1911 then no doubt my suggestion is a CZ 97 B or 97 BD. course if you don't want to pony up 500 bucks then the CZ is out of the question at I imagine the 625-650 price range.
MY 97 gets shot a lot more than any of my 1911 or other 45acp pistols.
weight is about the same as a steel 1911 if carry is a concern.
10 round capacity, tritium sights and two magazines included.
If the OP wants to vary from the original makes/models then the SAR K2 would do a lot of the things that the CZ would do, at a couple of hundred less. If you can find one in stock that is.

Sars?lmaz - K2-45

Reactions: jwc007

·
8,330 Posts
I have owned and shot both. I currently have the XD45 in service size 4". For me the XD is as accurate as my Sig P220 with an SRT package. If you do a trigger job on the M&P 45 it will shoot as accurate as well. I am considering getting another used M&P and doing my trigger job on it to prove my above statement. I know when I previously owned a M&P 45 in 4" it gave about 5" groups at 15 yards. Both platforms are reliable, I haven't had a failure with either.

My XD review: https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/other-handguns/424685-used-but-not-abused-springfield-xd-45-service-review.html

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
We have an XD Mod2 4.0 45acp and a Full size metal frame Witness 45acp. The wife owns the XD and I the Witness and I prefer the Witness. It is just much more comfortable and balanced.

With that I have also been looking for a deal on a M&P service size because just because neither of the other two pistols do not handle some bullet types al all. Neither will shoot SWC's.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I have both the XD-45 and the S&W-45, they're both very solid guns... both Police trade-ins. Never had a problem with either. Both very accurate and reliable.

I also have the Ruger American compact in 45, it's a bruiser. Short and fat, good shooter. My Springfield XDS-45 is a good carry gun, not the most fun on range day, if you are sensitive to recoil. Accurate and reliable.

Just picked up a FN FNX-45, no range time yet.

·
Registered
470 Posts

Ouch! That's pretty rich, by a long shot, for a P90.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I bought my XD45 4" compact about 10 years ago. It is solid, reliable, accurate, a bit heavy as the XDs tend to be compared to brand G. The compact is nice because it gives 10 round flush mags for concealment and 13 rounds mags with factory sleeves as a "service" model. I think it is quite robust, never a problem.

Fully loaded for carry (10+1) with 230 grain golden sabers it weighs 37 ounces. Beast :)

·
Registered
3,269 Posts

Around here the P90 is worth $250 to $300.

Don

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just ordered a "SMITH AND WESSON M&P45 M2.0 SUBCOMPACT .45 ACP 4" 8 RD" from the same place I pre ordered a 4.25" Python.

The Smith was $419 new in box. I wanted the one with the safety. Their website says due to mass buying it may be 18 days before it ships. I can deal with that, it's been over 3 months since I pre paid them for a Python.

Pic from their site. I guess it's no uglier than my Glock 27.

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
If the OP wants to vary from the original makes/models then the SAR K2 would do a lot of the things that the CZ would do, at a couple of hundred less. If you can find one in stock that is.

Sars?lmaz - K2-45
TRUE--but how is factory service--manufacture additions?
Plus the CZ 97 has a bushing barrel , very similar to the 1911 except better and different bushings can be ordered to custom fit them for accuracy, although mine was fine with the factory bushing, along with the tritium sights, thin aluminum grips etc.
depends on what you are looking to use the weapon for.
but I hear the SAR are well made weapons.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I just ordered a "SMITH AND WESSON M&P45 M2.0 SUBCOMPACT .45 ACP 4" 8 RD" from the same place I pre ordered a 4.25" Python.

The Smith was $419 new in box. I wanted the one with the safety. Their website says due to mass buying it may be 18 days before it ships. I can deal with that, it's been over 3 months since I pre paid them for a Python.

I think you will like it. S&W doesn't get all the "Tactical" crowd love, but they are very good guns. Congratulations.

·
Administrator
17,592 Posts
Congratulations to the OP on his acquisition of an S&W M&P 2.0 in .45 ACP, and may it serve him well. :cool: :smile:
Were I to decide I needed yet another .45 ACP Pistol, one of these would probably get bought.

Here's a review:

Regarding previous comments recommending the Cz97BD and SAR K2-45, these are truly excellent handguns and I own an SAR K2-45, and I have fired a Cz97B.
My personal preference is for Tanfoglio's EAA Witness when it comes to Hammer Fired DA/SA Pistols chambered in the .45 ACP, and I own two of them.
When I own more than one of a particular Pistol, it means the first one was very well liked!!!

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
Regarding previous comments recommending the Cz97BD and SAR K2-45, these are truly excellent handguns and I own an SAR K2-45, and I have fired a Cz97B.
My personal preference is for Tanfoglio's EAA Witness when it comes to Hammer Fired DA/SA Pistols chambered in the .45 ACP, and I own two of them.
When I own more than one of a particular Pistol, it means the first one was very well liked!!!
yep!
I agree!
got two witness standards , one in 38 Super and one in 10 MM, and two Elite Match also one in 38 Super and one in 10 MM.
the Elite Matches are single action only and very well made.
but the 97 for a mass produced (assembly line) is a very fine weapon in accuracy, dependability and design.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I carry an XD mod2 in .45. Accurate, reliable, easy to carry for a double stacker. I've shot the Shield. Good gun. I like the Springfield Trigger better. Recoil on the Shield is a tad snappier than the Springfield. Quite frankly, I would not mind carrying either gun. If I had a Shield, I'd need to put several hundred rounds of differing manufacturer's ammo, different weights and configurations before I'd carry it on a regular basis, very much like I did with the XD. The Mod2 is a compact.

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts

Congratulations on the choice. I bought the 45 Shield maybe two years ago and I see that they have made the safety a bit larger and the 8 round magazine is an improvement over the 7 round mags that I got. If you decide to put a grip overlay on it, I can highly recommend the Hogue Beavertail which makes the feel more secure and keeps the abrasive texture of the OEM grip off your flesh in an IWB holster.

Shield 45.jpg

Reactions: BigBlue
1 - 20 of 20 Posts